An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I Am No Longer An Atheist

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

Many reasons which will be elaborated upon in this thread.  First on the table, evolution:

According to the law of natural selection, traits evolve through the process of survival of the fittest.  At the same time, homo sapiens is fundamentally a religious animal.  Every culture has a folk religion attached to it.  People of faith show several health benefits too, which has caused some very secular scholars to comment that faith is an adaptive trait.

Why is faith an ubiquitous, adaptive trait?  Why does having an "imaginary friend" help me live a longer happier life?

I am thinking of Richard Dawkins right now and imagining a convoluted explanation rooted in evolutionary psychology.  How homo sapiens evolved over the past 200K or so years is untestable.  So, the Church says that God created us in his image to love him.  Evolutionary psychology offers a convoluted speculative explanation.  Both are untestable.  If you apply Ockham's Razor (the most parsimonious explanation is true), the Church wins.

Edited by theculturewarrior

Why I'm not atheist is simple. I had a couple miracles happen in my life. They say God is the God of lights and He revealed Himself to me when i was searching for him with my whole heart. This was something I seen with my own 2 eyes and was not on some funky mushroom or acid trip. God is real without a doubt. Go check out the book Proof of Heaven. Read of all the near death experiences from believers and non believers alike. Look into the experiences people have had with ghost and spirits. The list is to long to say what an atheist believes has merit.

Edited by Guest

Many reasons which will be elaborated upon in this thread. First on the table, evolution:

According to the law of natural selection, traits evolve through the process of survival of the fittest. At the same time, homo sapiens is fundamentally a religious animal. Every culture has a folk religion attached to it. People of faith show several health benefits too, which has caused some very secular scholars to comment that faith is an adaptive trait.

Why is faith an ubiquitous, adaptive trait? Why does having an "imaginary friend" help me live a longer happier life?

I am thinking of Richard Dawkins right now and imagining a convoluted explanation rooted in evolutionary psychology. How homo sapiens evolved over the past 200K or so years is untestable. So, the Church says that God created us in his image to love him. Evolutionary psychology offers a convoluted speculative explanation. Both are untestable. If you apply Ockham's Razor (the most parsimonious explanation is true), the Church wins.

What?

[quote]Many reasons which will be elaborated upon in this thread.  First on the table, evolution:

According to the law of natural selection, traits evolve through the process of survival of the fittest.  At the same time, homo sapiens is fundamentally a religious animal.  Every culture has a folk religion attached to it.  People of faith show several health benefits too, which has caused some very secular scholars to comment that faith is an adaptive trait.

Why is faith an ubiquitous, adaptive trait?  Why does having an "imaginary friend" help me live a longer happier life?[/quote]

If you're refering to lower blood pressure that is nothing that can't be attained through any various methods of medititaion, and yes they can be secular.

I am thinking of Richard Dawkins right now and imagining a convoluted explanation rooted in evolutionary psychology.  How homo sapiens evolved over the past 200K or so years is untestable.  So, the Church says that God created us in his image to love him.  Evolutionary psychology offers a convoluted speculative explanation.  Both are untestable.  If you apply Ockham's Razor (the most parsimonious explanation is true), the Church wins.

LOL!  It really doesn't matter.  Since no one can prove a negative the burden of proof is on your side to prove God exists.  Until then, you simply have an imaginary friend.  :)

Edited by r2Dtoo

Why I'm not atheist is simple. I had a couple miracles happen in my life. They say God is the God of lights and He revealed Himself to me when i was searching for him with my whole heart. This was something I seen with my own 2 eyes and was not on some funky mushroom or acid trip

I've heard there's some good weed out there.  You might have even forgot that you smoked it.

LOL!  It really doesn't matter.  Since no one can prove a negative the burden of proof is on your side to prove God exists.  Until then, you simply have an imaginary friend.  :)

This suggest that the most skeptical conclusion a rational thinking person can draw is for agnosticism, no?

This suggest that the most skeptical conclusion a rational thinking person can draw is for agnosticism, no?

I'm unsure what you're trying to get at since atheists and agnostics don't actually disagree on anything.  Neither one believes God exists.

Fidei Defensor

I'm unsure what you're trying to get at since atheists and agnostics don't actually disagree on anything.  Neither one believes God exists.

Actually, that's incorrect. Agnostics believe (if they're really agnostic) that if there is a God, he is unknowable by human reasoning and therefore its as if he doesn't exist. Doesn't mean they believe he doesn't, just that they'll never know.

Actually, that's incorrect. Agnostics believe (if they're really agnostic) that if there is a God, he is unknowable by human reasoning and therefore its as if he doesn't exist. Doesn't mean they believe he doesn't, just that they'll never know.

This is the equivalent of saying that before the moon landing we could never know if the moon was made of cheese.   There's no real difference. 

Atheists are, for all intents and purposes, certain that God does not exist.  This is an irrational conclusion for the person who concedes that God's existence can not be disproven.

Agnostics merely doubt that God exists.

Atheists are, for all intents and purposes, certain that God does not exist.  This is an irrational conclusion for the person who concedes that God's existence can not be disproven.

I also can't disprove that the American Founding Fathers were space aliens, so would it be irrational for me to reject that belief too?

Science is engineered to work by not believing in something until evidence is presented otherwise.