An Old School Catholic Message Board

Viewpoint Discrimination

add

After the election, my parish put up a sign that said "Choose Life" with a baby on it. They did it after the election because they were worried that they'd get in trouble for trying to influence votes. Would that really be illegal?

After the election, my parish put up a sign that said "Choose Life" with a baby on it. They did it after the election because they were worried that they'd get in trouble for trying to influence votes. Would that really be illegal?

"WASHINGTON — The 2012 presidential election broke the $2 billion milestone in its final weeks, becoming the most expensive in American political history, according to final federal finance reports released Thursday. The reports detailed a last-minute cascade of money from mega-donors and an onslaught of spending by the Obama and Romney campaigns and "super" political action committees."

Talk about influencing votes $200,000,000,000.00 and most of it was fluff Edited by add

Not in a free society.

It wouldn't be illegal even if your Priest said vote for Obama or go to hell.  You'd just lose your privileged tax exempt status.  But that sign wouldn't constitute endorsing a candidate or whatever.  Anyway, that exemption is a joke. 

It wouldn't be illegal even if your Priest said vote for Obama or go to hell.  You'd just lose your privileged tax exempt status.  But that sign wouldn't constitute endorsing a candidate or whatever.  Anyway, that exemption is a joke. 

Nonprofit organizations have tax exempt status with respect to income tax obligations, is no joke.

NFP’s contribute to society in greater ways

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

-J R R Tolkien 

Edited by add

DiscerningCatholic

I've been imagining something along the lines of these plates:

"Don't support the troops!"

"God d.amn America!"

"Kill the whales!"

"Kill the manatees!"

Etc. If everything has to have a material counterpoint...

"I exempt you from my acts of theft. Be grateful and obedient"--The Magical Owner of Everything, The State. This message sponsored by American Catholic Bishops (until all the statism backfired and we got the HHS. Told ya so).

Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional

A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.
U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.
Judge Fox concluded, “The State’s offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.”

The obvious answer is to offer both plates and let the people decide which one, or a different one to put on their own car.
Sounds very reasonable. Why would a person have a problem with the choice between the two? Why must there be only one?

The obvious answer is to offer both plates and let the people decide which one, or a different one to put on their own car.
Sounds very reasonable. Why would a person have a problem with the choice between the two? Why must there be only one?

Stating The opposit , just because is illogical

Nonprofit organizations have tax exempt status with respect to income tax obligations, is no joke.

NFP’s contribute to society in greater ways

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

-J R R Tolkien

I mean that it is a joke in the sense of not really being enforced.

I mean that it is a joke in the sense of not really being enforced.

Hasan's right on this one.  If a non-profit organization has a supporter in the White House they can pretty much tell their people to vote for whoever they want.