An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Constitutes Fair And Non-discriminatory Pay?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I hate money, I think it always causes greed and seperation, and probably IS the root of all evil...Unfortunately it seems to be what society is based upon...

it is what it is based upon now. There seems to be something odd about deciding who lives and dies based upon their capacity to accumulate a certain ammount of paper or shiny rock.

I would really like to see Aloysius fully hash out his argument.

Should the section head of a department get paid the same amount or less than the cashier clerk at the local grocery story because the casher clerk has 6 kids and the section head is single? Is your local grocery store responsible for paying a shelf stocker 40-50k a year because he's the sole income in the family and has a handful of kids?

the problem with this idea is businesses would collapse. They cannot afford to pay those kinds of wages without massively rasing prices. If all the businesses raised prices to pay these higher "living wages", then the wages wouldn't be a living wage anymore because everything would cost more.

I'm curious...I'm not well versed in the Bible but I've read just enough to know a little, somewhere it says,  I think it was Paul, and this will be put in the rough...Take all that you have and give it to the church, whatever it is and then take that and divide it amongst you according to your needs...

What would this type of society be called?...

I hate money, I think it always causes greed and seperation, and probably IS the root of all evil...Unfortunately it seems to be what society is based upon...

The love of money is the root of all evil, is the phrase.

it is what it is based upon now. There seems to be something odd about deciding who lives and dies based upon their capacity to accumulate a certain ammount of paper or shiny rock.

Ration by price or ration by fiat. Pick one.

theculturewarrior

Capitalism doesn't exist in this country.  What we really have is an oligarchy of the uber-wealthy.  Capitalism requires a free market, and that hasn't existed in this country for close to a century now.

Basilisa Marie

A college degree used to be more rare, now the market's inflated with so many "college degrees" that it's become the new high school diploma. At the very least, having a degree shows an employer that you are responsible enough to show up to work, follow directions, complete assignments, and do so consistently.  Sometimes it also shows that you have critical thinking and communication skills.  It shows that you have the basic skills necessarily for you to be trainable. 

Capitalism doesn't exist in this country. What we really have is an oligarchy of the uber-wealthy. Capitalism requires a free market, and that hasn't existed in this country for close to a century now.

No, it does not. Capitalism had it's advent with the state and has long been immeshed in monopoly and corporatism (here I'm talking about the actual historical record rather than an idealized version of what capitalism really, really is).