An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non Service Animals Attending Mass With Their Human Companion

nikita92

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

While I recognize that it is not common practice, and for that reason may be distracting for some to a degree, I do not think I am opposed to this idea. There is the somewhat common practice for those who are familiar with Franciscan spirituality, and to a smaller degree St Anthony of Padua of giving the blessing of animals during Mass. Obviously the sacraments are reserved for HUMANS as I know there have been cases of that abuse happening, if the animals are a disruption the yes they should be gone, but otherwise...hey I ain't got no problem, we bring trees and other plants into the Church, they can add beauty and respect for the work of God in creation.

Psalm 148: 7-14

Praise The Lord from the earth, you sea monsters and all deep waters; You lightning and hail, snow and clouds, storm winds that fulfill his command; You mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars; you animal wild and tame, you creatures that crawl and fly; You kings of the earth and all people's, princes and all who govern on earth; Young men and women too, old and young alike. let them all praise the Lord's name, for his name alone is exalted. The Lord has lifted high the hour of his people, to the glory of all the faithful, of Isreal, the people near to their God. Hallelujah!

I go to Mary Queen of the Universe Basilica in Orlando Fl. for mass during the winter. This asian looking man always brings his chihuahua with him to mass. My first reaction was, what is he thinking? He would carry him up to receive communion and the the EMHC's never said anything. It did not look like a service animal, and it really bothered me for a while as it seemed so irreverent. Then I thought maybe this is all this man has in life. I wonder if God would mind? Thinking about it, God created animals, they have the breath of life in them, or a temporal soul, not an immortal soul as humans possess. God would not have created something He could not love, St. Francis surely loved animals. Humans possess a heart and we are supposed to love, we do this as part of what God gave us by making us in His image. Just maybe, God would be happy. I do not think He would take it as an offence.

ed

homeschoolmom

so aside from everyone's general cultural sense that animals don't belong at mass, is there anything to actually support this?  I've been in places where there have been dogs in the Church, I've been places where the priest had a dog and went around the Church with his dog, so I'm curious... this seems like a particular matter of etiquette, but I don't think there are any actual norms against it and I'm not so sure I have any problem at all with animals being at mass if they're behaved and quiet.

for those who are against it, do you find it rude or irreverent?  I'm curious as to people's reasoning, I can understand the former but I'm not so sure I'd go as far as to say the latter, I don't think it's necessarily irreverent to bring animals into a Church.  it might be rude in particular cultural contexts, and that'd be reason enough to discourage it because people should be considerate at mass according to people's social expectations, but I don't see it as irreverent (unless it was noisy)

Why would you consider it okay to expose people to an allergen in a place that they wouldn't anticipate exposure as long as said allergen is quiet and well-behaved?

Is the Mass for people or for animals?

obviously the mass is for people, but I don't see a religious problem (ie "irreverence") in animals being present.  I suppose there is a cultural problem in many places, a matter of etiquette, et cetera.  I don't think the existence of allergies should necessarily dictate these things, there are people allergic to flowers and there are often flowers brought into churches, for instance.  some people are allergic to incense as well.  I understand the concern, and I'm not necessarily advocating that it be done I'm just asking for the basis.  I don't think there's a religious basis for it, I don't think it's necessarily irreverent or anything like that.  It might be bad manners in a specific cultural context, and I think the argument from allergens basically amounts to that: since we don't expect animals to be at Mass, it can be seen as bad manners to people who suffer from allergies to bring them in.  there are many cultural contexts in which people don't have an expectation that there won't be animals inside stores and public buildings and such, I suppose those places are not as nice to live for people who suffer from allergies. 

Basilisa Marie

Thing is, the Church is for people with allergies and for people who need service animals.  Not just one or the other.  I'm sure there's a solution somewhere for parishes where this is a practical problem. 

I agree with Aloyisius.  Animals being barred from a church building seems more of a cultural norm than a religious one.  Heck, members of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher still retain the privilege of being able to ride a horse into a church.  We still need to respect cultural norms, and find a way to allow both groups of people worship in a parish.  

homeschoolmom

obviously the mass is for people, but I don't see a religious problem (ie "irreverence") in animals being present.  I suppose there is a cultural problem in many places, a matter of etiquette, et cetera.  I don't think the existence of allergies should necessarily dictate these things, there are people allergic to flowers and there are often flowers brought into churches, for instance.  some people are allergic to incense as well.  I understand the concern, and I'm not necessarily advocating that it be done I'm just asking for the basis.  I don't think there's a religious basis for it, I don't think it's necessarily irreverent or anything like that.  It might be bad manners in a specific cultural context, and I think the argument from allergens basically amounts to that: since we don't expect animals to be at Mass, it can be seen as bad manners to people who suffer from allergies to bring them in.  there are many cultural contexts in which people don't have an expectation that there won't be animals inside stores and public buildings and such, I suppose those places are not as nice to live for people who suffer from allergies. 

Fair enough.

I often wonder how I would have survived if I'd been born prior to the advent of the car-- I'm even more allergic to horses than dogs. And the thought of living on a hobby farm (as many homeschoolers dream of doing) sounds like a nightmare to me. ;)

Now, just looking at if from a reverence perspective, I suppose a case can be made that if the animal is quiet and still, there wouldn't be a problem. Certainly, an animal can be quieter and more still than many children! (But again, the mass is for people...) But I still would find it a little off-putting to have in my suburban culture. In other cultures, propably not as off-putting.

homeschoolmom

Thing is, the Church is for people with allergies and for people who need service animals.  Not just one or the other.  I'm sure there's a solution somewhere for parishes where this is a practical problem. 

I agree with Aloyisius.  Animals being barred from a church building seems more of a cultural norm than a religious one.  Heck, members of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher still retain the privilege of being able to ride a horse into a church.  We still need to respect cultural norms, and find a way to allow both groups of people worship in a parish.  

Just as a clarification, I never said that service animals (who were distinguished as such) were problematic for me, even though I am allergic. I don't think my needs supercede another's. If it were merely a choice to stop by mass on the way home from the grocery store and the dog happened to be with? That I have a little more of a problem with.

I personally have no problem with animals at Mass, so long as they're well behaved. I agree that a lot of animals are more well behaved than children, and I'd rather a person bring their well-behaved dog and leave their ill-behaved child at home.

I saw a news spot on a kid who plays football with a service animal on the side lines. He is diabetic and the dog lets him know when his blood sugar is wonky.