An Old School Catholic Message Board

Covenant Marriage Contracts Vs Gay Marriage

Aloysius

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353652953' post='2515174']
no jail time, no fines, nothing like that at all; you simply don't qualify for a divorce and thus are not able to ever get married again. you can separate of course, but there remains the legal attachment to your spouse for the rest of your life. you have to deal with the reality that the other person is your lifelong spouse in the eyes of the law, which even if you separate will still follow you around in all kinds of financial and legal matters.
[/quote]
Sounds wonderful.

People will be married to one person, but living with and enjoying life with a different person. Their marriage will mean nothing to them. Marriage in general will be meaningless.

marriage in general has already become quite meaningless with the high divorce rates (and high annulment rates which shows it as quite more meaningless as so many marriages are being deemed to have not been valid at all because people didn't have the proper intentions etc)

the covenant marriage contract would be much more meaningful, not less. in the case of separation that person will still have to file joint taxes and will be connected by the finances and credit scores et cetera of their actual spouse and still have to deal with them as their spouse on a regular basis, for better or worse till death do they part. of course, if there's an adultery clause like there is in the Louisiana law then someone who separated and was living with someone else, the other spouse could likely prove adultery and get a divorce in that instance (there's no no-fault option, the adulterer who split and started living with someone else would be at fault in that divorce and thus would likely end up with a raw deal there)... but if there was a separation and no adultery clause triggered, there would be a constant reminder that despite separation, you're still legally married and cannot marry anyone else. It would make real marriage actually much more meaningful while doing away with a lot of fake re-marriages that should not be real marriages anyway (this is all among those who choose to do the covenant marriage route)... I'd bet divorce rates among those who went that route would be quite low, because the legal contractual connection cannot be severed so you have more incentive to just work it out. separations would likely only occur in extreme circumstances.

Al, I get and appreciate your efforts. I believe what you are saying will benefit the common good. But it needs to start before the marriage. I believe too many couples act/play married before they are actually married.

In another words, go back to the days in which we did not have the "no-fault" divorce laws and one had to show reason to divorce.

I don't understand this. If you and your husband/wife want to 'opt out of modern liberalised divorce laws', then the solution is simple enough: just don't get a divorce. I don't need the state policing my religious observance for me by making it extra difficult for me to obtain one.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1353699905' post='2515310']
In another words, go back to the days in which we did not have the "no-fault" divorce laws and one had to show reason to divorce.
[/quote]
in so many words, yes, it's a particular way to undo the no-fault divorce laws. when people talk about "defense of marriage" and such, all they're talking about is keeping gay people from getting the same dissoluble marriage license contracts from the state as straight people get. as if the greatest threat to marriage and the family is that the already destroyed system of civil marriage (that can be easily dissolved simply for irreconcilable differences" or some such nonsense)... when marriage licenses are so easily dissolved, civil marriage has already become relatively meaningless. if you want to defend the pride of place of marriage in civil society, you're going to have to restore it first.