An Old School Catholic Message Board

Covenant Marriage Contracts Vs Gay Marriage

Aloysius

Covenant Marriage Contracts are basically contracts between two people to basically opt out of the modern liberalized divorce laws, I think that states should recognize these covenant marriage contracts and enforce them, and people that sign them therefore should be less able to get a divorce. generally states have not been willing to enforce these contracts, so I think some type of legislation explicitly recognizing the rights of people to enter into such an agreement should be established. Such contracts should obviously contain provisions for separation in case of abuse and such, but not permanent divorce (except for a provision Catholics would put in allowing for permanent separation if an annulment is granted)

With states enforcing them, I actually think then canon law should require them. Seems pretty basic: if you truly mean your marriage vows, you should have no problem opting out of liberalized divorce laws, intending your marriage to be indissoluble, what God has joined together let no man tear asunder.

I think we should focus on getting covenant marriage contracts recognized, rather than focusing so much about the already failed system of marriage licenses. The covenant marriage should hold the privilege of traditional marriage and all the respect and esteem generally due to it, and all those folks who are getting married without covenant marriage contracts, ie leaving themselves with the possibility of an out, well each individual case is different but I'd say a lot of people don't have the proper intentions for valid sacramental marriage anyway, many people don't really see it as permanent and indissoluble. In fact when gay activists call us on the hypocrisy of saying that gay marriage would threaten the sanctity of marriage by pointing to the widespread de-sanctification of 'marriage', I think they have a bit of a point. we lost the battle to defend traditional marriage when liberalized divorce options were permitted. the main focus of the effort to defend/restore traditional marriage should be far less about focusing on the efforts of some to establish "gay marriage" "rights", and far more on re-establishing our right to enter into an indissoluble marriage. we are currently not afforded that right, the state refuses to enforce contracts between two free people who agree by contract not to divorce; I think there's a far more fruitful direction to take the battle in by fighting for the right to make our marriages more indissoluble.

Obviously we don't want gay marriage to be on equal footing with heterosexual marriage, we don't want it encouraged or whatever; ultimately I personally think people should have the right to enter into contracts establishing anyone they want (regardless of sexual relationship or not) as their next of kin, as the person permitted to be notified and have access to their medical records and really most of the things that are most complained about. but other than that, I think we likely face a losing battle on avoiding gay 'marriage' eventually being established on equal footing with the straight 'marriages' currently licensed by the states, but like I said, I think we lost the battle on state licensed marriages a long time ago anyway. if we really want to be seen as defending traditional marriages, we really need to try to restore traditional marriage by promoting the recognition and enforcement of covenant marriage contracts. That's the real privileged position traditional marriage should have.

I never heard of such a thing. Where do these covenant marriage contracts take place? How can a marriage be a covenant(exchange of persons) and contract(exchange of property)? I always believed that when a couple enters in a covenant marriage that it comes with the rejection of modern liberalized divorce laws.

I think of a contract as merely an agreement between two people, it doesn't necessarily have to involve an exchange of property. That's the sense in which I'm using the term "contract" anyway. from a civil point of view then, all marriages are contracts. I'm not really contrasting that term against "covenant", "covenant marriages" is just the label that's been given to this concept of subverting the modern divorce laws.

the term "covenant marriage" refers to, rather than merely getting a marriage license, the couple also both sign away their right to no-fault divorces and all such things. basically they both sign a legally binding agreement that binds them not to seek such divorces, and if the state recognizes and enforces such an agreement (contract), then they are ineligible to file for divorce on such grounds.

According to the ever reliable wikipedia lol, it seems legit enough here, only Louisiana, Arkansas, and Arizona actually have given legal recognition to covenant marriages, it notes that people with regular marriages in those states may choose to change the status of the marriage if they wish to. although I was under the impression that there were people in some places promoting the idea of drawing up your own contract agreement to make your marriage a covenant marriage but I don't remember where I saw that. it would basically entail just another piece of paperwork in addition to the marriage license, ultimately I think it could just be merged it so that there was a different class of marriage altogether. basically if a man and a woman want to sign a contract that says they relinquish their rights to divorce (but leave a provision for separation in case of abuse), they should have the right to sign such an agreement and the state should be able to enforce it; ie, we ought to be able to have the kinds of legally indissoluble marriages that existed prior to the liberalizing of divorce laws if we so choose.

Edited by Aloysius

Too complicated. Just be faithful to your wife, grow old, and die. Why entangle yourself in a bunch of unnecessary legal provisions.

well a marriage license in and of itself is an unnecessary legal provision from some point of view...

it's not all that complex, it's just basically opting out of ever having possible recourse to divorce. making such marriage "licenses"/"contracts", whatever you want to call them, possible is to restore actual indissoluble marriage to the legal system. it would establish those marriages in their right place in society, the Church wants society to recognize marriage: this is the way for society to recognize true, indissoluble marriage. whatever else they end up defining putting through the already dissoluble "marriage licenses" of the state, like gay marriage or whatever, if the state recognized and allowed such marriages and canon law required them, then we would have restored traditional marriage in the civil law.

basically the movement that focuses on being anti-gay-marriage talks a lot about defending traditional marriage on the legal/civil front. what I'm saying is that they're missing a step: we first need to restore traditional marriage to the legal and civil order before we could really defend it, because the current state of divorce laws has made the civil contract of marriage into a dissoluble contract (for irreconcilable differences or whatever), a covenant marriage contract restores it to the civil order.

I'm not so much advocating that people go out and draw up these documents necessarily; doing so would be nothing more than showing your support for the idea I suppose; ultimately whatever the state thinks of your marriage is irrelevant as long as you know it is an unbreakable sacramental bond. the sacramental Church marriage is the real marriage, this is just a question of in what way the state/civil society should recognize and promote traditional marriage as such, and I think a special legal status to "covenant marriages" that exempts those couples from ever potentially having recourse to no fault divorce, et cetera, (by their own choice, though I would like to see the Church actually require it of Church marriages). divorce put a hole in the ship of civil marriage long ago, and it is clearly sinking (and unless something is done, it will likely sink into putting gay marriage on equal civil footing with all civil marriage); there's a couple of options: one is simply bailing on civil marriage altogether, reform canon law to say that sacramental marriage need not include state marriage recognition, or at least provide indults against having official marriage licenses to all the countries that have started to have gay marriage; let's call this the Ron Paul route, but the Church is unlikely to ever go that route (unless push comes to shove and they're absolutely being threatened to perform gay marriages which I don't think will happen in the USA but could in other places); legal advocacy for the creation of covenant marriage legislation and subsequent canonical legislation changing the requirement to get a state marriage license to a requirement to sign a covenant marriage contract in places where the state would enforce such a contract, that's my proposed solution for preserving the institution of marriage in civil life.

Edited by Aloysius

I think I understand your point. However, it seems that you are using covenant where it does not belong. What you explain just does not jive with what I understand to be a covenant relationship Seems to be absent of the 'marriage made in Heaven'.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353604492' post='2514785']basically the movement that focuses on being anti-gay-marriage talks a lot about defending traditional marriage on the legal/civil front. what I'm saying is that they're missing a step: we first need to restore traditional marriage to the legal and civil order before we could really defend it, because the current state of divorce laws has made the civil contract of marriage into a dissoluble contract (for irreconcilable differences or whatever), a covenant marriage contract restores it to the civil order.
[/quote]
A big factor in "traditional marriage" was economic dependence...women today can work and do pretty much anything else they want to do. There was also the social side of that, where men were the authority throughout society (only men could vote, etc). I don't think the kind of symbolic actions you're suggesting are going to do much to restore a society that no longer exists.

Edited by Era Might

that's just the legal term for it. the word 'covenant' is used in many different contexts, the phrase "covenant marriage" refers to this particular legal construct, as I have heard it used.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Covenant+Marriage

Looks like the existing covenant marriage laws in Louisiana basically allow for divorce under the very strict conditions that divorce was once allowed for, ie it only restricts against the no-fault kind but allows divorce only if some fault can be proven. That's probably sensible enough, though I was envisioning the provisions to simply allow for some degree of separation only under extreme circumstances, and only allowing divorce if an annulment were granted. I think when I read up on this a long time ago I was more under the impression that the terms were set by the couple rather than a pre-constructed category by the state, so I was envisioning that the Church would have a standard version of it; but it looks like as it has actually been established, it's more like a second category with regular marriage being the other category, but both of them well defined. I'd prefer a system more in which the state would enforce the terms set by the couple (and the Church would require certain terms for a Church wedding)... hmm...

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1353605110' post='2514798']
A big factor in "traditional marriage" was economic dependence...women today can work and do pretty much anything else they want to do. There was also the social side of that, where men were the authority throughout society (only men could vote, etc). I don't think the kind of symbolic actions you're suggesting are going to do much to restore a society that no longer exists.
[/quote]
I'm not talking about some bourgeois "traditional" fantasy here, mate, it was the upper classes in which women became caged birds in yellow wallpapered rooms, I'm not at all talking about that or idealizing that for a second. restoring traditional marriage means restoring the ability to have an indissoluble civil contract between two people, in which they both set in stone absolutely in legal terms "until death do us part".

there is nothing inherant to 'traditional marriage' that requires economic dependence. it was perhaps a "big factor" in industrial revolution middle and upper class marriages but there's nothing inherent about it, what is inherent to marriage is economic interdependence, and that will take the form of many different possible gender roles which in today's society means both spouses usually being enslaved to meaningless jobs instead of just the husband.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353605747' post='2514802']
I'm not talking about some bourgeois "traditional" fantasy here, mate, it was the upper classes in which women became caged birds in yellow wallpapered rooms, I'm not at all talking about that or idealizing that for a second. restoring traditional marriage means restoring the ability to have an indissoluble civil contract between two people, in which they both set in stone absolutely in legal terms "until death do us part".

there is nothing inherant to 'traditional marriage' that requires economic dependence. it was perhaps a "big factor" in industrial revolution middle and upper class marriages but there's nothing inherent about it, what is inherent to marriage is economic interdependence, and that will take the form of many different possible gender roles which in today's society means both spouses usually being enslaved to meaningless jobs instead of just the husband.
[/quote]
If you take "traditional marriage" as some "thing" in itself, then you could speak of something being "required" of it. But marriage is just one form of social arrangement that arises out of the entire social structure. Divorce is freely available today because America is an individualistic society, and marriage reflects that.

Of course, the "economic dependence" I was referring to is a product of industrialization, wage economy, etc. But "traditional marriage" was always a power relation stacked in favor of the man, in whatever form that took (well, that's not universally true, I'm sure one could find exceptions in matriarchal societies, etc).

If we are speaking of "Christian" marriage, then there is precious little that would could speak of in terms of law, since St. Paul's teaching on marriage is rooted on spiritual principles rather than social arrangements.

My main issue, I guess, is treating "traditional marriage" as some "thing" in itself, as though it could be conceived apart from the social relations it mirrored.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353581918' post='2514735']
Covenant Marriage Contracts are basically contracts between two people to basically opt out of the modern liberalized divorce laws, I think that states should recognize these covenant marriage contracts and enforce them, and people that sign them therefore should be less able to get a divorce. generally states have not been willing to enforce these contracts, so I think some type of legislation explicitly recognizing the rights of people to enter into such an agreement should be established. Such contracts should obviously contain provisions for separation in case of abuse and such, but not permanent divorce (except for a provision Catholics would put in allowing for permanent separation if an annulment is granted)
[/quote]
I don't think governments ought to play religion. As a tax payer I wouldn't want to fund the administration and enforcement of this.

But, your church can support this Covenant Marriage Contract, it won't be legally binding but some Catholics deem their church stuff to be more important than law anyways.

by using the term "traditional marriage" I was latching onto the terminology used by arguments against gay marriage, it wasn't meant to be all that well-defined a term, there are ambiguities when you attach the term "traditional" to anything; I'm obviously thinking of the Catholic theological and canonical views of marriage, not as a particular historical context of what St. Paul taught or what St. Augustine taught, but what the Church herself teaches. I deal with enough deconstruction of terms all the time in my anthropology studies, basically everything means nothing haha, but that's a maddening conversation to have so for these purposes I am proudly establishing the preconceptions of the general sensus fidelium and the moral teachings of the Magisterium for my terminology, deal with my terms on those bases, I make no claim to perfect continuity with historical forms of marriage, all social institutions change through time but the moral principles we are discussing are the subject matter of the continuous journey of the Church in building the Kingdom of God on earth.

whatever the reasons are for easy access to divorce, there should be the option of a form of marriage that doesn't have easy access to divorce, we should demand the right to such a form of marriage that we can voluntarily enter into if we wish to.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1353607689' post='2514818']
I don't think governments ought to play religion. As a tax payer I wouldn't want to fund the administration and enforcement of this.

But, your church can support this Covenant Marriage Contract, it won't be legally binding but some Catholics deem their church stuff to be more important than law anyways.
[/quote]
I know you don't want there to be any government at all, but so long as there is one of the minimal functions most everyone recognizes is that governments enforce contract law. if you sign a contract and you break that contract, that's illegal. if there is to be any government at all, that is basic; and why shouldn't the government be willing to enforce a contract like this? it's a free voluntary agreement between two people, and so long as the government is accepted as existing to enforce contract law, then there should be no problem with enforcing these forms of contracts.

especially since it would really cost no money or time to do so; at least probably less than court costs for divorce proceedings and such like. instead of having the standard marriage license on file, you'd have your covenant marriage contract on file, so if you tried to file for a quick divorce on the basis of irreconcilable differences or something the courts would say "hold on mate, doesn't look like you qualify for divorce, and no divorce would take place.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353607920' post='2514819']
by using the term "traditional marriage" I was latching onto the terminology used by arguments against gay marriage, it wasn't meant to be all that well-defined a term, there are ambiguities when you attach the term "traditional" to anything; I'm obviously thinking of the Catholic theological and canonical views of marriage, not as a particular historical context of what St. Paul taught or what St. Augustine taught, but what the Church herself teaches. I deal with enough deconstruction of terms all the time in my anthropology studies, basically everything means nothing haha, but that's a maddening conversation to have so for these purposes I am proudly establishing the preconceptions of the general sensus fidelium and the moral teachings of the Magisterium for my terminology, deal with my terms on those bases, I make no claim to perfect continuity with historical forms of marriage, all social institutions change through time but the moral principles we are discussing are the subject matter of the continuous journey of the Church in building the Kingdom of God on earth.

whatever the reasons are for easy access to divorce, there should be the option of a form of marriage that doesn't have easy access to divorce, we should demand the right to such a form of marriage that we can voluntarily enter into if we wish to.
[/quote]
Well, I will defer to your terms and let you hash them out with someone who shares them with you. But to me the idea seems like an iron chastity belt (forgive the bad simile lol).