An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did The "pro-life" Movement Permanently Change Because Of Romn

southern california guy

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1352682467' post='2508314']
:blink: what pro-life movement are you talking about? you sound like you're talking about the pro-choice movement, the pro-life movement certainly doesn't see abortion as protecting the dignity of women... you seem confused, I think you need a beer :beer:

the pro-life movement consists of groups like the National Right to Life Committee, Priests for Life, the Susan B Anthony List, Abolish Human Abortion, et cetera... the pro-life movement is just as strong as ever against abortion.
[/quote]

there are many CPCs that are essentially owned/staffed by Protestants...who generally don't take a stand on birth control, or they take the stand that birth control will help the abortion rate go down.

Of course not. The end goal is to stop abortion. Think of it this way, would you rather die of starvation or or eat a scrap of food so that you may live. Obama being the only Illinois senator to vote for partial birth abortion is very clear on his stance favoring the culture of death, even his HHS mandate has provisions promoting euthanasia. Obama also has rescinded the Mexico city policy where we pay for and build abortion clinics in foreign countries using tax monies. The policy is a political flashpoint in the abortion debate, with republican administrations adopting it and democratic administrations rescinding it. The policy was enacted by Republican President Ronald Readen in 1984, rescinded by Democratic President Bill Clinton in January 1993, re-instituted in January 2001 as Republican President George W, Bush took office, and rescinded January 23, 2009, 2 days after Democratic President Barack Obama took office.

Romney promised to re-institute the policy upon his election which would have stopped our paying for abortions in many different countries such as Africa South America etc. Romney was also against late term abortions, partial birth abortions and leaving babies that survive botched abortions uncared for to die after delivery. Those who voted for Obama are complicent in this grievous policy of death.

Handouts won out over life, it says a lot about the mores of our fellow Americans.

ed

dominicansoul

i think the pro-life community should just stop depending on politicians to stop abortion. Its not the politicians who will stop it. Just today I heard that some republicans are looking at their stance on social issues. Some of them feel we need to lean more toward the left, because like democrats, republicans want votes. They feel they are too strict on their pro-life, pro-family stance. But they've never been pro-life enough or pro-family enough anyway. We're getting to the point where we won't have any party who reflects our values. I don't know what the main factor was in Obama's re-election. All I know is that those who hold my values are very few. We are the minority in America.

What do we do to change people's attitudes about abortion? Well, for starters, we need to evangelize our own church members ...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1352755536' post='2508719']
What do we do to change people's attitudes about abortion? Well, for starters, we need to evangelize our own church members ...
[/quote]
Save the liturgy, save the world.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352755705' post='2508723']

Save the liturgy, save the world.
[/quote]What do you mean?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352767336' post='2508811']
What do you mean?
[/quote]
I believe that the loss of Catholic identity is tied inextricably to our lack of traditional worship in recent decades. I believe that a re-discovery of the Church's liturgical tradition will directly lead to an increase in faith and zeal in the laity, which in turn will change how we operate in the public sphere.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352767908' post='2508820']

I believe that the loss of Catholic identity is tied inextricably to our lack of traditional worship in recent decades. I believe that a re-discovery of the Church's liturgical tradition will directly lead to an increase in faith and zeal in the laity, which in turn will change how we operate in the public sphere.
[/quote]Seriously?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352770476' post='2508852']

Have you got a problem with that?
[/quote]LAWL. So if the Mass click was turned back yo 1953, things would improve in society.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352771004' post='2508863']
LAWL. So if the Mass click was turned back yo 1953, things would improve in society.
[/quote]
I do not recall saying that, actually.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1352688050' post='2508394']
the prolife movement fell apart a long time ago. they have the position that to avoid abortions we need to give contraceptions. they allow arguements of abortion being illegal except for incest, rape and health of mother.

honestly and i really mean this, there is only one true pro life movement that has any and I mean any chance of success and its the catholic church. the prolife movement made up of others has failed. no absolutes. the catholic church on the other hand has absolutes and does not stray. abortion is wrong in all cases and so are contraceptives which cause abortions. the catholic church will not go down and support abortion loving politicians who are pro life in limited circumstances. they will only support the idea that life is most important and there can be no exceptions. the prolife movement made exceptions. the catholic church does not. if all truely devote catholic united together we would be the true pro life movement that could make change. although that is the only true pro life movement left... the catholic church.
[/quote]

At the same time, we cannot relegate abortion to being a "Catholic" issue. Until the nation becomes overwhelmongly practicing Catholic, we need more than just Catholics to win this battle. If we wait until the nation bacomes practicing Catholic, millions more unborn will be killed.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1352734405' post='2508589']

Still did better than Biden.

But what about the healthcare rules and such? Were they really going to be the same?

Would they make more of a different converting a few and losing to a pro-choice candidate or being a pro-life candidate who makes it to office?

[/quote]

Yes, Ryan would have been a lot better than Biden. Although VP doesn't really do much as Romney would have held all the cards....or at least most of them.

I was just pointing out that when you make your own exceptions for abortion, it becomes REALLY hard to argue against other exceptions.

In response to the last question, I think so. If you can effectively argue a message, even your loss will not really be a loss. I use Ron Paul as an example. How many victories has he had? Precious few. But look at the message that has grown from him! He lost the GOP primary, but his ideas grew the most and his message will live beyond the election unlike all the other candidates who are already largely forgotten.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1352773265' post='2508885']

At the same time, we cannot relegate abortion to being a "Catholic" issue. Until the nation becomes overwhelmongly practicing Catholic, we need more than just Catholics to win this battle. If we wait until the nation bacomes practicing Catholic, millions more unborn will be killed.
[/quote]
This. This so much. It shouldn't require a belief in God to understand that dismembering children is wrong.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1352710057' post='2508533']
ahhh I get what you mean. of course when we talk about the pro-life movement, we are obviously not talking about those people. but it is true that most people define themselves as pro-life, I saw a study in which there was a large overlap of people defining themselves as both pro-life and pro-choice; so in that sense, we've lost the terminology war.
[/quote]
Terminology war - most definately

pro-choice is pretty clear, means they don't what the law to decide for them.

pro-life is very obscure, in this context it actually means the proponents want laws to restrict choice. So it is really anti-choice.

Just because a person is pro-choice it doesn't mean they like or would participate in abortion, it just means they don't want to force others not to choose the abortion option.