An Old School Catholic Message Board

Romney Aides' Credit Cards Canceled On Election Night

BG45

[quote name='zabbazooey' timestamp='1352746975' post='2508657']
Reading this thread, I would like more (unbiased) info on how these things work. I reacted I guess because I think of Mitt and hear this about the credit cards...never liked him so it's easy to jump to conclusions.
[/quote]

It depends on who they were and what organization they were with. Identifying them as 'staffers' is pretty vague. I mean, at the very least they could have given them a heads up. But somehow it really doesn't surprise me that Romney once again shows contempt for the people that actually do the hard and dirty work for his organization.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352746969' post='2508656']
I figured you were working with the Obama camp helping spread leftist propaganda.[/QUOTE]

First of all, Obama is not a leftist. He was. If you read his early books. But he is not now. He seems to have sold out at some point in the late 90's or early 2000's I am a leftist (if we must think in labels like that). Obama is an American liberal. I was paid to help with community organizing and to work with the local college democrats and other stuff. Not to be a smart arse on phatmass.

[QUOTE]Hope they paid you something for all your hard work.
[/quote]

If you add up the hours that we actually worked to our pay I was paid less than minimum wage. Obviously that was my choice. I could have insisted on only actually working 36 hours a week and then I'd have been paid alright. Not great, but decently. But, like everyone there I've been actually working 12+ hours every day of the week for some time so I could have theoretically made more working as a cashier. Not that a modern retail underemployed would dream of letting a cashier work that much and thus have to give them full time benefits.

Obama was marginally better than Romney and that difference has a real impact of a lot of people. Particularly in a really poor area like eastern NC. At least the boot that's going to come down on the poor in the budget negotiations will be slightly less crushing than with a Romney/Ryan administration.

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1352609117' post='2508027']
I guess most feel these people would not have made plans to go home, including buying tickets? One woudl assume they were not going to spend the next few days lingering around campaign headquarters even if he did win. Personally, when I go somewhere I have already included the means to return home in my plans.

ed
[/quote]

We were told that we were expected to be on call as late as Nov.15th. I would assume that they were told something similar. Even once the campaign is over that doesn't mean that you don't still have a bunch of logistical work to do. For example, closing campaign offices. We didn't have any free time once early voting started. Literally none. So you have people working all day every day who do not know when the campaign is going to be actually over (recall the 2000 election). Very difficult circumstances to plan around.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1352748735' post='2508664']

We were told that we were expected to be on call as late as Nov.15th. I would assume that they were told something similar. Even once the campaign is over that doesn't mean that you don't still have a bunch of logistical work to do. For example, closing campaign offices. We didn't have any free time once early voting started. Literally none. So you have people working all day every day who do not know when the campaign is going to be actually over (recall the 2000 election). Very difficult circumstances to plan around.
[/quote]
Are y'all getting "Bomb Yemen LOL" shirts?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1352747963' post='2508660']
First of all, Obama is not a leftist. He was. If you read his early books. But he is not now. He seems to have sold out at some point in the late 90's or early 2000's I am a leftist (if we must think in labels like that). Obama is an American liberal. I was paid to help with community organizing and to work with the local college democrats and other stuff. Not to be a smart arse on phatmass. [/quote]

He was but he's not now. Oh wow that's so... [b]believable[/b]. sike.

KnightofChrist

Of course if it were not for his war against the Church perhaps maybe then it would at least be easier to buy into the bs story that Obama is not a leftist.

It's more believable to shift one's views over the course of decades than over the course of weeks (vide Romney).
Edit: also, I'm not sure you're using the term in the same sense as Hasan.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

KnightofChrist

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352754550' post='2508709']
It's more believable to shift one's views over the course of decades than over the course of weeks (vide Romney).
Edit: also, I'm not sure you're using the term in the same sense as Hasan.
[/quote]

Not when their actions prove otherwise. I mean leftist as in a person who adheres to a far left political mindset. Attacking the Church is a example of Obama's leftist policies.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352759086' post='2508756']
Not when their actions prove otherwise. I mean leftist as in a person who adheres to a far left political mindset. Attacking the Church is a example of Obama's leftist policies.
[/quote]

Oh. So the Puritans were leftists. That's interesting to know.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352749339' post='2508666']
Are y'all getting "Bomb Yemen LOL" shirts?
[/quote]

Probably.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1352759086' post='2508756']
[/quote]
So Hitler and Henry VIII were leftists?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352763921' post='2508778']

So Hitler and Henry VIII were leftists?
[/quote]

May presume by mention of those individuals that at least you see Obama's attack on the Church as extreme? Most certainly those individuals did far greater harm. To that I am sure we agree. But his attack on the Church in a free society is still extreme. Correct?

Edited by KnightofChrist

southern california guy

I can see that this has turned into a debate about Obama, but I agree with the people who are critical of Romney -- or whoever cancelled the credit cards. It seems amazing to me that they were only given one way flights. And as the article pointed out there were still campaign bills left to be paid.

Maybe it was just a mistake?