An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Overlooked Election Story: Puerto Rico

BG45

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1352306894' post='2505795']
Maybe we should encourage Guam to go for it and get a two-fer on adding states.... Or perhaps just add a strip down the edge.....
[/quote]

I we do this, divide California into 2 states & divide Texas into 2 states (or just divide California into 3 states), we can add another column of 4 stars.

I love how the primary concern in all of this is how to draw up the flag lol. I know we're not really saying to actually do any of these things, but it's interesting to think about--dividing up any state is an invitation for the biggest gerrymandering battle of all time. could you imagine that? 2 senators per state, each state has electoral votes, any kind of reshaping completely changes the game.

anyway, it's very interesting to think of what might happen with Puerto Rico in terms of its two senators. I think they have some of their own parties established down there that are not national parties, I wonder if they could maintain power within Puerto Rico and we'd see some third party senators for once. that'd be interesting... but I'm just wildly speculating, I don't really know too much about puerto rico politics.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352301280' post='2505734']
Or we could just boot out Rhodes Island.
[/quote]

YOU WILL NOT!!! And if anyone dares suggest such a thing again.....
:bash:

It would not be the first time you guys changed your flag a bit. I hardly think the rest of the world would even notice. :hehe:

GeorgiiMichael

Sixpence beat me to it. Yeah, they've already designed a flag with 51 stars back when DC statehood was all up in arms.

The idea of just not adding a star for PR is rather insulting, to be quite honest. Just because we haven't had a new state in more than 50 years doesn't mean that we can or should stop the tradition of having our flag be representative of the entire country just because we have a new addition.

I still think California should be divided. Their 55 electoral votes comprise more than 1/5 of the total needed to elect the president. I'd love to see the proposed gerrymandering if this were ever actually considered.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1352320206' post='2505939']
I still think California should be divided. [/quote]

One good earthquake should do the trick...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1352311972' post='2505865']
we need to take over canada and mexico, too.

...that would be awe.some! :o
[/quote]
We might actually win something in soccer for a change...

Good luck with that. PR just booted out their pro statehood PNP Governor for a PPD Governor with the PPD overtaking the island. The PPD(Popular Democratic Party) like the status quo.

edit: I see the article in the OP addresses this.

Edited by Maximilianus