An Old School Catholic Message Board

For The All The Upset People

Roamin Catholic

Everything is made better because ponies.

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc7wluUqiR1rokywzo1_500.png[/img]

PhuturePriest

I'm not really upset. I saw it coming about halfway through the night. The part I'm not looking forward to is having to work with my dad tomorrow and having to hear about it all day. :hehe:

It was actually interesting. I was on the Google political map, and I saw Obama had 234 votes already. I knew California had 55 so I did the math and realized he was going to win, so I went downstairs to the TV and the first thing I saw was "Obama Re-elected".

It's really strange to me because Romney won the popular vote but Obama won the electoral vote. We really have a wacky system. I still don't understand the role of electoral college vs popular vote. Someone please explain it in laymen terms?

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352264273' post='2505490']
It's really strange to me because Romney won the popular vote but Obama won the electoral vote. We really have a wacky system. I still don't understand the role of electoral college vs popular vote. Someone please explain it in laymen terms?
[/quote]it groups the populace by State. States place their electorate vote accordingly. It helps ensure State issues are addressed.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352264583' post='2505493']
it groups the populace by State. States place their electorate vote accordingly. It helps ensure State issues are addressed.
[/quote]

It also helps ensure the Democrats win.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352266281' post='2505509']

It also helps ensure the Democrats win.
[/quote]

Except for that time it didnt.

When you were still pooping in diapers.

Anomaly is right ... the electoral college system is State by State. Also all of the votes aren't in ... so by the end if it all we won't know the pop vote until later on tonight

Oh I can't wait to dump on Republicans complaining about the electoral college over the next days if this popular vote total doesn't shift.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352266477' post='2505516']
Oh I can't wait to dump on Republicans complaining about the electoral college over the next days if this popular vote total doesn't shift.
[/quote]

:hehe: don't worry, it's already started. along with people wanting to move. :hehe: stupidity abounds on both sides of the aisle ;)

PhuturePriest

Winchester is probably weeping uncontrollably on Dick Morris' shoulder due to the huge loss Romney suffered today. That poor guy dedicated so much time in support of the Romney campaign. I would hate to see how bad he is taking this.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1352266457' post='2505515']
Anomaly is right ... the electoral college system is State by State. Also all of the votes aren't in ... so by the end if it all we won't know the pop vote until later on tonight
[/quote]

You're right. Obama now holds both the majority in electoral votes AND popular votes. :(

I just now realized that the way the electoral college works corresponds to the relatively greater emphasis placed on state's rights in the US, as opposed to Canada for instance, where our distribution of MPs is more or less by population (in theory). The American electoral system emphasizes state boundaries, whereas the Canadian system emphasizes population centers.

Obama is now up in the popular vote by less than 100,000. And in Ohio, Obama's lead is only about 10,000 with only 82% of the vote in.

So, tell me. Is Obama's re-election definite now that he has over 270 electoral votes? Or could something still happen?