An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should You Ever Vote For A Pro-lifer -- At Any Level?

southern california guy

southern california guy

Let's be realistic about it, the majority of the Catholics and the majority of Americans favor the "Pro-choice" position. So a Pro-life candidate at any level has no real chance of making it.

And the Pro-choicer's really like it when they can get Pro-lifers to vote for their candidates, because when the election results are published the Pro-life vote looks almost non-existent. Some of the Pro-choicer's will call themselves "Pro-life" -- [i]arguing the they feel that abortion is bad and they personally wouldn't get an abortion but they also can see a number good reasons to get an abortion[/i] -- because they can win votes from both sides.

They may even argue that they will attempt to change laws and reduce funding for abortion -- [i]but they will also argue that they would never vote to make abortion illegal[/i].

So should we ever vote Pro-life? Or should we only vote for the "lesser of two evils"? And we can let the wack-job Pro-life extremists throw away their votes on a candidate who has no chance of ever winning. Their votes will be the only support for the loser Pro-lifers. At least that way we would have the chance of supporting the winning team!

Or let's say that we are loyal Catholics and we like to call ourselves "Pro-life" but we are really "Pro-choice". We actually support abortions in cases of rape, incest, and "health" of the mother. We can use the "lesser of two evils" argument to get the wack-job Pro-life Catholics to vote for our favorite Pro-choice candidate. And we can even argue that our candidate is "Pro-life". Maybe eventually we can even get the Catholic church to change it's ridiculous "Pro-life" position to a much more reasonable "Pro-choice" position like the LDS (Mormon) Church?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LW8m0tiUM[/media]

Edited by southern california guy

southern california guy

Should we ever vote for a Pro-life candidate? Or should we only vote for a candidate who has a chance at winning?

Should we base our vote on the popularity of the candidates in the early primaries -- and vote for the leading most popular candidate?

Eagle, I think you are pointing out something that Jaime and others pointed out. Changing opinion about abortion will not be done by Government decree. It's a change in culture that's required. Supporting single mom clinics, adoption, treating single moms respectfully. Acting respectful of life everyday.

Government supports, promotes, and protects the values held in a pluralistic society. Opinions are voiced in more places than the voting booth.
Opinion is voiced more often than every couple of years of political cycle.

As important and morally relevant your vote is on Tuesday, it's not the only time your opinion matters or the only time your opinion should be voiced. It isn't even the most important time your opinion matters.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352160453' post='2504829']
Eagle, I think you are pointing out something that Jaime and others pointed out. Changing opinion about abortion will not be done by Government decree. It's a change in culture that's required. Supporting single mom clinics, adoption, treating single moms respectfully. Acting respectful of life everyday.

Government supports, promotes, and protects the values held in a pluralistic society. Opinions are voiced in more places than the voting booth.
Opinion is voiced more often than every couple of years of political cycle.

As important and morally relevant your vote is on Tuesday, it's not the only time your opinion matters or the only time your opinion should be voiced. It isn't even the most important time your opinion matters.
[/quote]

This has nothing to do with what you said, I'm just curious, really. But I believe you are an atheist if I remember correctly. Are you a pro-life atheist, or what?