An Old School Catholic Message Board

Westboro Baptist May Win In Kansas Election

BG45

HisChildForever

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352082865' post='2504232']
Oh wow... I never really thought of anyone actually *joining* that church. I thought it was pretty much all Phelpses and their BFFs. Why anyone would be attracted to a message of "God hates everyone-- even us!" is beyond me.
[/quote]

It's definitely bizarre. I've watched a documentary on the family and one of their members (as well as his wife and children) was originally a journalist himself who went to do a piece on the family and was converted. Now he runs their media and graphics...internet logos, t-shirts etc.

I have been following the antics of the phelps clan and their cultus since the mid 90s. i think this jack wu may have been in Louis Theroux's documentary on them. Since I am not in the state, I cannot do anything like make sure not to vote for jack but i do pray for the conversion of the members and for teh conversion and healing of those who have left or been thrown out of that group.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1352227054' post='2505208']
I have been following the antics of the phelps clan and their cultus since the mid 90s. i think this jack wu may have been in Louis Theroux's documentary on them. Since I am not in the state, I cannot do anything like make sure not to vote for jack but i do pray for the conversion of the members and for teh conversion and healing of those who have left or been thrown out of that group.
[/quote]

I think I know who you're talking about!! There was one man who sat in on one of their "services" because he was interested in joining. Could've been Wu. I love love love Louis Theroux, his docs are great.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352082865' post='2504232']
Oh wow... I never really thought of anyone actually *joining* that church. I thought it was pretty much all Phelpses and their BFFs. Why anyone would be attracted to a message of "God hates everyone-- even us!" is beyond me.
[/quote]

You're misunderstanding the message of the Westboro Baptist Church. Being so close to it in proximity I can tell you their message is not that God hates every human being on the planet. Their message is that God hates every human being on the planet except [i]them[/i], for they are the only true Christians that exist in the world and are therefore the only ones to be saved. Everyone else is going to burn in a lake of fire as they and God laugh.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352255702' post='2505395']

You're misunderstanding the message of the Westboro Baptist Church. Being so close to it in proximity I can tell you their message is not that God hates every human being on the planet. Their message is that God hates every human being on the planet except [i]them[/i], for they are the only true Christians that exist in the world and are therefore the only ones to be saved. Everyone else is going to burn in a lake of fire as they and God laugh.
[/quote]
But that's not what I got from either Shirley of Fred Phelps in an interview (can't remember which right now, actually-- I think Fred)... He said that he probably would go to Hell, too. :|

PhuturePriest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352260280' post='2505431']
But that's not what I got from either Shirley of Fred Phelps in an interview (can't remember which right now, actually-- I think Fred)... He said that he probably would go to Hell, too. :|
[/quote]

He flip-flops more than Mitt Romney, I guess.

But that ideology makes no sense. If they're going to hell too than why bother? They're the only true Christians on earth, and if even the true Christians are going to hell than you might as well have fun while you are here. Let's go out and eat some delicious Chic-Fil-A this Friday.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352260444' post='2505434']
But that ideology makes no sense. If they're going to hell too than why bother?
[/quote]
Exactly. ;)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352260997' post='2505440']
Exactly. ;)
[/quote]

I hereby declare Chic-Fil-A Fridays and on Sundays we will work 50% more than any other day (Four more hours for those who can't do math).

So did the freaky dude win?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352261547' post='2505441']

I hereby declare Chic-Fil-A Fridays and on Sundays we will work 50% more than any other day (Four more hours for those who can't do math).
[/quote]

I did not know that Chic-Fil-A sold fish. :|

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352263620' post='2505479']

I did not know that Chic-Fil-A sold fish. :|
[/quote]

It's hard to tell if you're joking, or if you really don't understand the joke.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352263689' post='2505481']

It's hard to tell if you're joking, or if you really don't understand the joke.
[/quote]
I really really did not.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352263858' post='2505485']
I really really did not.
[/quote]

Chic-Fil-A sells chicken, and you're supposed to abstain from meat on Fridays, but the joke is we're all going to hell no matter what we do so we might as well eat chicken on Fridays.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352263900' post='2505486']

Chic-Fil-A sells chicken, and you're supposed to abstain from meat on Fridays, but the joke is we're all going to hell no matter what we do so we might as well eat chicken on Fridays.
[/quote]
Oh, well that makes more sense then.
I guess that is a [i]*whoosh*[/i] moment for me then.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352263620' post='2505479']

[/quote]

Thanks be to God, no.

And we can eat meat this Friday- Feast day!! Yah!! ;)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352260444' post='2505434']

He flip-flops more than Mitt Romney, I guess.

But that ideology makes no sense. If they're going to hell too than why bother? They're the only true Christians on earth, and if even the true Christians are going to hell than you might as well have fun while you are here. Let's go out and eat some delicious Chic-Fil-A this Friday.
[/quote]

He flip flops like a raquetball on amphetamines. But through it all he is consistent on two things: anger and hate. One of the problems I have with fundamentalism is that a prooftext without a context is a pretext. The theology, if you can call it that, of the wbc is an excellent example of what happens when you cherrypick the Bible to find what you have already decided is true.

Lauren Drain was thrown out because she questioned some of the hypocrisies she saw among group members. At least two of Shirley Phelps' kids have left. Look at Fred Phelps' eyes. They are lifeless. Hatred and anger have consumed him. He is a salutary warning for all of us regarding what can happen if hatred, anger and unforgiveness are allowed to roam free.

But, back to the original topic: Did the wbc guy win the school board post?