An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting Obama Is Un-christian And Anti-catholic

ironmonk

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1351745051' post='2501817']

That is the biggest load of croutons. You cannot quote me one of Al's posts that suggests he's voting for Obama.
[/quote]
That's not what you said Himey. You said pro-Obama, not voting-for-Obama. You can help a guy get re-elected without voting for him.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351745139' post='2501819']
can you not see how infinitely more important the Catholic faith is than this particular vote? How utterly WICKED it is to try to drive people away from Our Lord simply because they've come to a different opinion on political strategy or disagree with their assessment of where various candidates et cetera stand? Infinitely more important, as in the outcome of this particular election PALES in comparison; and you become perfect patsies for a particular line of political thinking and basically act like failing to adhere to that line of thinking makes one not really Catholic. How utterly faithless and wicked that line of thinking is--so short sighted in the light of eternity that it's not even funny.
[/quote]
Nothing you say relates to anything I say, so forgive me when I am often very confused by your retorts.

I understand the idea behind voting for Romney.

I differ too much from him to vote for him. I hate democracy. I despise strong central government. I despise nationalism. I despise pietism, and its attendant evils. I am not state property. I do not have to ask permission to trade or own property. There is no social contract.

I know Gary Johnson will not win. I hope to see the LP get some Federal funding. I would have voted for Ron Paul. I didn't go to Dallas because I thought we would win. I did it to fight Leviathan. I don't think we will win. I expect it to get worse. A lot worse.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351745139' post='2501819']
How utterly WICKED it is to try to drive people away from Our Lord simply because they've come to a different opinion on political strategy
[/quote]
[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351745410' post='2501822']
To place political partisanship up on a pedestal, as some kind of requirement for one's Catholicity, is arrogant and demeaning.
[/quote]
Why are you guys trying to label me with doing things like this? That is unfair, and mean. I have been arguing about effectiveness, pragmatism and methods of creating results. I have not been trying to "drive people away from our Lord" or "place political partisanship on a pedestal". I am hurt by your words and offended you think so lowly of me. You are just internet people so I will get over it, but still. Saying stuff like this really smells of elderberries, for real.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351746232' post='2501832']
pragmatism
[/quote]
Yeah, that's not remotely Catholic.

But I don't really believe you're being pragmatic in the proper sense of the word.

Edited by Winchester

Why are you guys trying to label me with doing things like this? That is unfair, and mean. I have been arguing about effectiveness, pragmatism and methods of creating results. I have not been trying to "drive people away from our Lord" or "place political partisanship on a pedestal". I am hurt by your words and offended you think so lowly of me. You are just internet people so I will get over it, but still. Saying stuff like this really smells of elderberries, for real.
[/quote]
If you are not equating faith and politics, then my post is not meant for you, evidently.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351745809' post='2501828']
Nothing you say relates to anything I say, so forgive me when I am often very confused by your retorts.
[/quote]
what I said mostly relates to the post ironmonk made, which you have been lauding. ironmonk clearly weaponized Catholic identity for political motivations in this thread.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351745701' post='2501827']
That's not what you said Himey. You said pro-Obama, not voting-for-Obama. You can help a guy get re-elected without voting for him.
[/quote]
That's like saying that by not donating to every charity that feeds the poor, I am helping poor people starve to death.

[/quote]
I am responding to what ironmonk said. If you agree with ironmonk's post, then my post is also directed at you. if you do not agree with it, then it is not directed at you. you propped it and declared "ironmonk to the rescue", so I presumed you were okay with weaponizing Catholic identity the way he did there.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1351746267' post='2501833']
Yeah, that's not remotely Catholic.

But I don't really believe you're being pragmatic in the proper sense of the word.
[/quote]
I said pragmatism, not pregnant schism. [mod]MIKolbe- personal attack[/mod]

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1351746375' post='2501836']
That's like saying that by not donating to every charity that feeds the poor, I am helping poor people starve to death.
[/quote]
Delta is better than US Airways.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351742210' post='2501781']
I guess those one or two posts by Kujo might be called that if you squint really hard and hold your breath until you get dizzy...
[/quote]

I don't think you have to squint really hard-- he did start a thread saying he voted for him.

[quote name='ironmonk' timestamp='1351740539' post='2501764']
[url="http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com"]http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com[/url]

ironmonk
[/quote]
I have a tough time taking this dude seriously after he argued for geocentrism and young-earth creationism.
And yes, that is strictly speaking an informal fallacy. I care not. I cannot take him seriously. His relationship with reason is clearly a little strained.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1351747431' post='2501851']
I don't think you have to squint really hard-- he did start a thread saying he voted for him.

[/quote]
Yes, but he also was quite clear that he did not do it because he likes Obama. Say what you will about his vote- certainly I do not agree with it- but I think we should respect his reasoning at least by not making up his positions for him.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351747515' post='2501852']
I have a tough time taking this dude seriously after he argued for geocentrism and young-earth creationism.
And yes, that is strictly speaking an informal fallacy. I care not. I cannot take him seriously. His relationship with reason is clearly a little strained.
[/quote]

*cough* geocentrism *cough*