An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Do You Hope Will Win The Election?

To Jesus Through Mary

To Jesus Through Mary

I don't mean this to be a debate, but a sincere question for all of those voting 3rd party, especially Al. Who do you hope will win the election, Romney or Obama or do you see no difference between the two and will feel the same regardless of who wins? I don't think anyone will deny that either Obama or Romney will win this election. I understand the principal behind voting 3rd party. But in reality we all know it will be one of the two that will win come Nov 6th. Do you have a preference of the two of who will be leading this country? Again I understand your principal- not attacking, just curious as I am weighing the morality of this for myself. And forgive me if this specific question has already been asked and answered. Some of the posts got a little bit wordy, redundant, or snarky so I haven't read everything in full. But I have been following most of it...

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1351727855' post='2501525']
I'm of the opinion that Romney sets the pro-life movement back by at least 12 years if he wins.
[/quote]

So you would prefer Obama then?

And 12 years? How so? (Unless you already addressed this, then could you point me to the thread that you did? I missed this one somewhere along the line... )

(Again- no snark in the tone here- legit question)

You'll be hard pressed to get a straight answer from any of the anti-Romney folks on this. You might as well ask them what side a flipped coin will land on. Regardless of the physics, they will refuse to believe that the coin must land on either heads or tails.

Cthulhu.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351729021' post='2501542']
Regardless of the physics, they will refuse to believe that the coin must land on either heads or tails.
[/quote]

It landed in the crack on the sidewalk and therefore landed on neither heads nor tails. :P

--

More serious answer? Though I despise both of them, Romney. Some of the Supreme Court Justices are getting to the point where they'll retire or die of natural causes soon.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351729021' post='2501542']
You'll be hard pressed to get a straight answer from any of the anti-Romney folks on this.
[/quote]

First of all, I'm not anti-romney; I'm pro-life.

Second of all, I'm not saying that I'd like Obama to win, just explaining why Romney winning sets the pro-life movement back by 12 years.

Third of all, I'll try to explain my reasoning, but I'm tired so I may run on at times. Here it goes.

Romney getting elected does nothing to advance the pro-life movement. You may argue that it also doesn't set it back either. I believe that by accomplishing nothing we are wasting the efforts of the people that work hard to advance the pro-life cause.

If Romney gets elected, he will run for re-election in four years. There would be 8 years wasted on nothing getting done to get rid of the evil of abortion. If we happen to put up a pro-life candidate 8 years from now I have my doubts that anything significant would get done in the first term due to the typical make-up of congress. So, I figure that by Romney getting elected, we won't advance anything on the federal level for at least 12 years. At the very least, there are 8 years of nothing, because regardless of whether or not Romney gets re-elected, the democrat option will definitely not be pro-life, and people will again whine about a lack of options, and how 3rd party candidates will never win.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1351730960' post='2501569']
Some of the Supreme Court Justices are getting to the point where they'll retire or die of natural causes soon.
[/quote]

I doubt Romney is going to put anyone on the bench that we can trust to overturn Roe Vs Wade or keep the defense of marriage act. So this is a moot point.

Roamin, It's been discussed in depth how limited Government is to pro/actively stop abortion. Federal Government is not where the solution lies. Federal Givernment can however encourage and promote absorption and create legal hinderances to organizations that want to change things.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351732255' post='2501596']
Roamin, It's been discussed in depth how limited Government is to pro/actively stop abortion. Federal Government is not where the solution lies. Federal Givernment can however encourage and promote absorption and create legal hinderances to organizations that want to change things.
[/quote]

And why do we believe that he will pass legislation to hinder abortion in any way? If anything he did quite the opposite as Governor.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1351732392' post='2501599']

And why do we believe that he will pass legislation to hinder abortion in any way? If anything he did quite the opposite as Governor.
[/quote]
How do you know he won't put Ryan in charge of social issues? Ryan is pro-life in all cases, even in cases of rape and incest.

That's the point. You don't know. But you DO know that Obama will do every pro-abortion thing he can possibly do.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1351731806' post='2501588']

I doubt Romney is going to put anyone on the bench that we can trust to overturn Roe Vs Wade or keep the defense of marriage act. So this is a moot point.
[/quote]

I doubt that also, but he's also unlikely to put someone on who is going to be the next Stevens or Ginsberg. Though Souter happened, so you never know.

Romney said he was going to re-institute the Mexico City Policy and stop the HHS Mandate.

Obama will not, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Obama adds abortion to the HHS mandate if he is re-elected.

You guys go on and on about the president not having any influence over abortion, but this has been proven untrue with Obamacare and the HHS mandate.

I'd like to see Romney win in the hope that Planned Parenthood will be defunded. But at the end of the day, it'll make me feel only slightly better than if Obama wins.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351732840' post='2501615']
How do you know he won't put Ryan in charge of social issues? Ryan is pro-life in all cases, even in cases of rape and incest.

That's the point. You don't know. But you DO know that Obama will do every pro-abortion thing he can possibly do.
[/quote]

And you call us naive.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1351732392' post='2501599']

[/quote]why do you think that Obama and Democrats won't be pro active and create more policies and programs that expand free abortion financed by tax payers?

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1351733866' post='2501644']
I'd like to see Romney win in the hope that Planned Parenthood will be defunded. But at the end of the day, it'll make me feel only slightly better than if Obama wins.
[/quote]
A rational, respectable answer. Thank you for your courage.