An Old School Catholic Message Board

Not Voting Because You're Displeased With Candidates

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Opinions?

Personally, I think this is irresponsible and lazy and a cop-out. Friends of mine aren't voting because they don't think Romney is "good enough," even though they agree he is better than Obama. I think this is awful, because by not voting, they're throwing away their vote and making it easier for Obama to win.

Everyone needs to vote who is of age, IMO.

What do y'all think about this?

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1351127338' post='2497249']
Methinks you need to visit the Debate Table more.
[/quote]

Thanks. Sorry, usually debate table is too heated, but I'll check it out! :like:

I think it is entirely moral as an act of protest and non-cooperation. And yes, we are doing this to death on the debate table.

My friend, mom, and I were discussing this last night since it was just the three of us at Bible Study. I explained that I am not too pleased about either candidate but that I think Romney is "the lesser of two evils." I don't agree with the view that he holds on abortion (that it is justified in cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life is at stake). She thought that meant that I wouldn't be voting at all but that's not what I mean. I WILL be voting but I'd rather not vote for either candidate. I thought about writing Santorum into the ballot but that, in my opinion, is a wasted vote since he wouldn't get enough to make it count and it would, most likely, cause Obama to win which I DEFINITELY want to prevent. So, I will be voting for Romney this election.

I will allow that a vote for what one sincerely believes to be the lesser of two evils is justifiable. However my preference is to refuse to vote. Or to vote third party.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1351127188' post='2497247']
Opinions?

Personally, I think this is irresponsible and lazy and a cop-out. Friends of mine aren't voting because they don't think Romney is "good enough," even though they agree he is better than Obama. I think this is awful, because by not voting, they're throwing away their vote and making it easier for Obama to win.

Everyone needs to vote who is of age, IMO.

What do y'all think about this?
[/quote]

there are currently 4 or 5 election threads in the debate table. pick one and start reading. this has been addressed several times.

HisChildForever

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1351127993' post='2497260']
My friend, mom, and I were discussing this last night since it was just the three of us at Bible Study. I explained that I am not too pleased about either candidate but that I think Romney is "the lesser of two evils." I don't agree with the view that he holds on abortion (that it is justified in cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life is at stake). She thought that meant that I wouldn't be voting at all but that's not what I mean. I WILL be voting but I'd rather not vote for either candidate. I thought about writing Santorum into the ballot but that, in my opinion, is a wasted vote since he wouldn't get enough to make it count and it would, most likely, cause Obama to win which I DEFINITELY want to prevent. So, I will be voting for Romney this election.
[/quote]

Ditto. I'm voting Romney because I want Obama out.

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1351130523' post='2497310']

there are currently 4 or 5 election threads in the debate table. pick one and start reading. this has been addressed several times.
[/quote]

..apologies, it's not my habit to check all phorums before asking a question.. :unsure:

Actually, in looking a couple hours ago, it is more like 9 or 10 election threads that are active within the last two days. :smile3:

lol I kind of blame myself, the phorum seemed a bit more politically peaceful until I had the audacity to step in and tell everyone not to vote for Romney :smokey:

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351171339' post='2497508']
lol I kind of blame myself, the phorum seemed a bit more politically peaceful until I had the audacity to step in and tell everyone not to vote for Romney :smokey:
[/quote]
I remember eight years ago when someone said don't vote for Bush, they ended up defending John Kerry. I haven't seen as many Obama supporters here as we used to have Kerry supporters.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351178616' post='2497534']
I prefer this thread. It appears that the topic starter and most repliers have more groupthink and are thinking normally.
[/quote]
I agree.