An Old School Catholic Message Board

Right Now Who Wins? Obama Or Romney?

Era Might

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1350698620' post='2495192']
Romney is nowhere close to the "far Right." (I say that as a proud card-carrying member of the Far-Right.)

He was probably overall the most liberal of the major GOP candidates.

[/quote]

THIS!

I would use up ever single prop in this thread... especially about Che.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1350648864' post='2494785']

Aren't you Canadian now?
[/quote]

Yep, but I'm a dual citizen. I still pay taxes in the US, and get to vote too.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1350697233' post='2495181']
Che Guevera was a bloodthirsty sadistic butcher who helped his buddy Fidel come to power and set up his tyranny[/QUOTE]

He did help Fidel come to power. I have no idea whether he was a sadist or bloodthirsty. That refers to his subjective emotional states. He did commit serious human rights abuses.

[QUOTE](though no doubt you think it a beautiful worker's paradise).[/QUOTE]

I don't. I think that intellectual and moral integrity are important things rather than reflexively acting as a propagandist for my 'side.' You may want to try this sometime.

[QUOTE]Of course, that wonderful leftist political tradition is lovely when it is raging against the capitalist machine and butchering those awful capitalist pigs, but not so cool once the leftists are actually in power and throwing dissidents in gulags.[/QUOTE]

The Gulags existed in the Stalinist USSR. Many leftists opposed Stalinism. Including the strain from which I draw political inspiration.

[QUOTE]Yes, I know all leftists (including Communists) claim their brutality is only a temporary necessity, and once they have their way, the state will wither away and all that jazz, but the reality is when in control, leftism always results in tyranny.[/QUOTE]

That's actually not what all leftists claim. But I don't expect you do have any substantive knowledge of any political strain or thought that doesn't come pre-chewed in The Weekly Standard.

[QUOTE]. . . beaver dam, wish I had props to give Winnie in this thread . . .
[/quote]

I disagree with Winchester. On a lot of practical issues. But he actually thinks about what he says. Stop linking yourself to him.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1350687001' post='2495122']

You're right, when he was mentored by a terrorist member of the Weather Underground, he was further to the Left than he currently is. [/QUOTE]

Yep.

[QUOTE] As it is, between his wildly disparate social policies compared to his nearly schizophrenic view on international relations ("let's build coalitions" and "we need to repair our international image" vs. "Oh hey, it's Monday, let's drone strike a wedding in Pakistan"), I do have trouble placing this President.

---

To expand on the drone portion of the President's international diplomatic strangeness...a few not so fun things I was looking at earlier while trying to make someone more pro-war than anyone on this board try to see that they aren't always good:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/families-of-americans-killed-by-drones-to-file-suit/2012/07/18/gJQAhbJWtW_story.html"]WaPo: Families of three U.S. citizens sue Pentagon and President over assassination of their family members.[/url]

Interestingly, despite the fact they were "terrorists", none had been directly involved in so much as firing a weapon at other Americans. In fact, their inflammatory rhetoric was similar to that, even in intensity, which one hears by Americans on U.S. soil.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/world/obamas-leadership-in-war-on-al-qaeda.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0"]NYT: Secret 'Kill List' Tests Obama's Principles, includes Americans.[/url]

Or this, way to build relations with our "ally" Pakistan:
[url="http://www.policymic.com/articles/15340/drone-strikes-in-pakistan-have-killed-thousands-of-civilians"]U.S. Drone strikes kill 1 suspected terrorist and 49 civilians per 50 deaths in Pakistan.[/url] Not that I'd be entirely sure of that estimate, since the New York Times reports (in that kill list article):

[/quote]

I don't understand the point of this. Unless you're agreeing with me that Obama is not a member of the far left.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1350697314' post='2495183']
Oskar Schindler wasn't Jewish, though he saved Jews.
[/quote]

Overruled.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1350700780' post='2495205']
Yep, but I'm a dual citizen. I still pay taxes in the US, and get to vote too.
[/quote]
Hmmm.... :think: Intersesting...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1350704401' post='2495224']
Hmmm.... :think: Intersesting...
[/quote]

You misspelled treasonous. If she loves Canada so much she can gay marry it.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1350609118' post='2494601']
And cue Winchester's wrath...
[/quote]

Release the Kraken!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1350705320' post='2495234']

You misspelled treasonous. If she loves Canada so much she can gay marry it.
[/quote]

That was an ignorant comment. Everyone knows they don't recognize genders in Canada.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/genderless-baby-tribute-liberty-conscript-war-sex-roles/story?id=13716165#.UIIisIZoX3A

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1350713928' post='2495265']
I think the left/right thing is a terrible paradigm, anyway.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1350714037' post='2495266']

I'd agree with that.
[/quote]
But it is very useful for flaming.

If people are paying attention.