An Old School Catholic Message Board

Right Now Who Wins? Obama Or Romney?

Era Might

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351029752' post='2496508']
Too bad he was wrong about the bayonets. They are still used widely by the military.
[/quote]

no he isnt wrong. Bayonets are used a lot less than they used to, unquestionably, which is exactly his point. warfare isnt the same as it used to be, people dont do cavalry charges anymore, and no company yells "fix bayonets!" before charging a trench or bunker and stabbing everyone. some branches still have bayonets, and on current guns they are almost totally useless and tiny. at this point they are much more for show than they were a few decades ago.

which is exactly what he was saying. He didnt say there are no bayonets anymore. it really isnt a hard concept.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351042585' post='2496656']
He should have came back with this line, "Well, Mr President, I don't want to be with you when you try to take a Marine's bayonet away from him."

And at the end, when Obama said something about not wanting to go back to the Bush policies, Romney should have said, "The president keeps mistaking me for George Bush. Well, Mr President, it is a pleasure to me you. My name is Mitt Romney."

Dude. I totally should have been his debate coach. One liners are what win debates. Romney should have just had about 200 one liners prepared.
[/quote]
lol. If it bleeds it leads.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1351072884' post='2496868']
no he isnt wrong. Bayonets are used a lot less than they used to, unquestionably, which is exactly his point. warfare isnt the same as it used to be, people dont do cavalry charges anymore, and no company yells "fix bayonets!" before charging a trench or bunker and stabbing everyone. some branches still have bayonets, and on current guns they are almost totally useless and tiny. at this point they are much more for show than they were a few decades ago.

which is exactly what he was saying. He didnt say there are no bayonets anymore. it really isnt a hard concept.
[/quote]

nope. all marines still receive extensive bayonet combat training. a brit was commended in 2011 for leading a bayonet charge in afghanistan. our golfer in chief is out of touch

[url="http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/conscience-conservative/2012/oct/22/obama-gets-it-wrong-bayonets-still-used-military/"]http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/conscience-conservative/2012/oct/22/obama-gets-it-wrong-bayonets-still-used-military/[/url]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1351018861' post='2496404']

538.com is much better.
[/quote]
You mean [url="http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/"]http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/[/url]?

I somewhat doubt that. One, because it's an NYT thang that is optimistic about Obama's chances, relative to the betting markets. Two, I read through its methodology, and I didn't see where it accounts for likely voter turnout in light of Obama's not-so-energized base. The polls appear to assume a similar turnout to four years ago, but that's just not likely to happen.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to throw the whole analysis out, but I do think that their current 68.1% projection is a tad high, and I'll adjust accordingly based on the likely turnout for this year's race.

Betting markets tend to be the most accurate in predicting sporting events. I'm not sure if it's the same for political events, since emotions come into play and people are probably more likely to bet with their hearts. I think that's more likely to happen on intrade than on offshore better markets. Right now Obama is about 64% to win based on the offshore markets--IMO that sounds about right.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351075519' post='2496872']

nope. all marines still receive extensive bayonet combat training. a brit was commended in 2011 for leading a bayonet charge in afghanistan. our golfer in chief is out of touch
[/quote]

hold on. Are you meaning to tell me Bayonets are as common and as integral a part of war as they were a few decades ago? Because unless you feel like making yourself look foolish by saying "yes", then he is still not wrong, and at worst guilty of slightly exaggerating in an analogy that served to make Romney look like a complete idiot.