An Old School Catholic Message Board

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1350671619' post='2494918']
A carbon tax is not a 'sweeping new power.' Having a system in place to deal with externalities is actually a pretty basic aspect of modern states.
[/quote]
Cap and trade is nothing but more oppressive and economically-crippling taxation which further and needlessly expands the power of government bureaucracy over private enterprise. And, yes, if they had their way, the "global warming" fanatics would grant sweeping new powers to government, including transnational bureaucratic bodies. I've seen it in their own propaganda.

And there are plenty of common aspects of modern states that are tyrannical and that I'm absolutely opposed to.
The best thing the government can do is back the floopy off.

[quote]While we're out to attempt to discredit scientific theories that are backed by overwhelming evidence I guess I'd like to hear your thought on that heliocentric the essence of cow that the PC liberal media is always trying to ram down our throats?[/quote]
Such an overly sensitive little girl.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1350725514' post='2495290']
what do you have against little girls?
[/quote]
Nothing; I've got a whole binder full of them.

They just can be a bit trying when they get so overly sensitive.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1350770870' post='2495469']

They just can be a bit trying when they get so overly sensitive.
[/quote]

True. Maybe that's why you're not a Marine.

• 1 month later...

This isn't the end times. If you leave this up to God then you are being an irresponsible person. Millions upon millions of people are going to seriously suffer more than necessary. The fact that you can take such a flippant attitude towards this, which is going to visit the worst suffering on the poor and disenfranchised, really speaks ill of your mindset. Jesus commanded you to help the poor. Not piss all over them while joking about how God can handle the armagedon all on his own.

False.

theculturewarrior

This thread is full of examples as to why many non-religious people consider religious individuals to be closed-minded, anti-scientific, and/or generally stupid.

This backlash has nothing to do with the Catholic Faith.  The Vatican takes the environment very seriously as we are the stewards of creation.  I think what you are seeing here has more to do with American culture than religion.

Fidei Defensor

This backlash has nothing to do with the Catholic Faith.  The Vatican takes the environment very seriously as we are the stewards of creation.  I think what you are seeing here has more to do with American culture than religion.

This. The problem is with the obsession in "believing" or "not believing" something. Science isn't about believing anything. It's about correlating observations to make hypotheses which are further refined / changed / etc. Science is about knowing, not believing.

You can "not believe" anything you want, but that doesn't make it false. As you would say, just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean he doesn't exist. You would be wise to defer to experts in the field who are doing the work of knowing and leave the believing to things that can not be proven or disproven, like God.

theculturewarrior

This. The problem is with the obsession in "believing" or "not believing" something. Science isn't about believing anything. It's about correlating observations to make hypotheses which are further refined / changed / etc. Science is about knowing, not believing.

You can "not believe" anything you want, but that doesn't make it false. As you would say, just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean he doesn't exist. You would be wise to defer to experts in the field who are doing the work of knowing and leave the believing to things that can not be proven or disproven, like God.

You may not identify with this, but your response is one reason why I decided to become Catholic.

Edited by theculturewarrior

I agree with Laudate_Dominum. :clapping:

This has become my mantra on this website.  Theology or Politics? I agree with Aloysius.  Science? I agree with L_D.  

The world is ending in a couple weeks anyway.

Actually, depending on who you talk to, the Mayan calendar calculations may have actually referred to yesterday.  Something about the Julian vs. Gregorian calendars and leap years.  The others say those people's math is wrong.  So the apocalypse is still up in the air :P

This has become my mantra on this website.  Theology or Politics? I agree with Aloysius.  Science? I agree with L_D.  

Ditto.  Especially after meeting Al and realizing he really is THAT smart, it's not just an hour long worth of research before posting like some of my stuff is.

How so?

The worst suffering may start with the poor, but it won't take long to work its way up. It's not exactly going to be easy for the wealthy to buy their way out if food becomes scarce.