An Old School Catholic Message Board

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-based Academic Goals

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

Yes, you unfortunately read the article and the name of this thread correctly.

[quote]On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.[/quote]

I can see one side of the argument. One one hand you have black people living in a much higher level of poverty and so they struggle with school more than other culture. However, I can see the other side of the argument, saying that if you expect them to do worse than they will. A mindset dictates the outcome, and this is a mindset doomed for failure in my opinion.

Your thoughts?

Groo the Wanderer

wow. way to discriminate against minorities. tell em all up front they cannot do as wells as asians. set the bar low..yeah that's the way to make our skools perform more betterer.

disgusting.

When the majority of kids are reading above grade level, do we not then have to raise the expectations of grade level? :| Or do we then mandate that at least 75% of kids are above average?

Our schools are training grounds for an industrial economy. Students, like prisoners, like patients, like soldiers, like consumers, are numbers, like everyone else in society.

The race aspect isn't really "lowering standards" because it sounds like they're setting percentages within the same ability level. In other words, they're saying they want to raise each group to a certain percentage within each category, not saying that different racial groups should have different categories. It's no different than a corporation saying they want to increase x group of consumers by a certain percentage. That's just the way our society sees the world, through standardized measurement.

Edited by Era Might

PhuturePriest

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1350176722' post='2493184']
I still think they're being racists. :|
[/quote]

It was only a matter of time before someone through out the race card to be funny or to be serious.

Where is Hasan? I thought this thread was screaming his name.

Groo the Wanderer

which is also racist. as a member of too many minority groups to count, i do not want a handout. i do not want every accomplishment second-guessed. it should be very clear i earned it. had a boss tell me once 'you are my token mexican.' how nice.

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1350224542' post='2493261']
which is also racist. as a member of too many minority groups to count, i do not want a handout. i do not want every accomplishment second-guessed. it should be very clear i earned it. had a boss tell me once 'you are my token mexican.' how nice.
[/quote]
I agree that affirmative action is also racist. However there are some on this site who are apparently perfectly ok with it. ;)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350181852' post='2493207']

It was only a matter of time before someone through out the race card to be funny or to be serious.

Where is Hasan? I thought this thread was screaming his name.
[/quote]

Not that much to say. Era pretty well nailed the rational. Now everyone gets to jump up and down and show how enlightened and post-racial they are by decrying the program. I guess I don't feel like pointing out how important programs to integrate a society are so that people can retort by pretending to be too racially enlightened to have noticed that we still live in a racist system and not understand why there's all this fuss about 'race.'

Groo the Wanderer

race will cease to be an issue when the liberal pantywastes stop making it an issue. i check all boxes on every form asking that stupid question. if its fill in the blank i answer 'human'

that should be good enough.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1350229645' post='2493286']
I agree that affirmative action is also racist. However there are some on this site who are apparently perfectly ok with it. ;)
[/quote]

they are racist as well. not the 'sit in the back of the bus' kind of racist, but the 'blame the white man for everything forever' and the 'you poor minority can't make it on your own, so let's give you a handout' type of racist

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1350245931' post='2493355']

they are racist as well. not the 'sit in the back of the bus' kind of racist, but the 'blame the white man for everything forever' and the 'you poor minority can't make it on your own, so let's give you a handout' type of racist
[/quote]
Sounds like you're blaming the white man for blaming the white man.