An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Foster Care System

tinytherese

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351031020' post='2496531']
Can foster kids change being foster kids?
[/quote]
Why should they care? We all have our poo to deal with from our childhood in our adult lives. Explain why this should matter.

Archaeology cat

What some have gone through is absolutely heinous. Can it be overcome? Yes, but it certainly isn't easy, and I can't blame them or be surprised when they struggle.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1351031266' post='2496535']
What some have gone through is absolutely heinous. Can it be overcome? Yes, but it certainly isn't easy, and I can't blame them or be surprised when they struggle.
[/quote]
No one is surprised that foster kids struggle...we all do. Growing up isn't easy for anybody.

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1351031100' post='2496532']
Why should they care? We all have our poo to deal with from our childhood in our adult lives. Explain why this should matter.
[/quote]

If they cannot change their circumstances, if these circumstances are thrust upon them with them having no say in the matter, then it seems unjust to me to treat them with contempt simply because of those circumstances. A person is defined by their actions. Not by their social conditions.
Just like since a person cannot change the colour of his skin (nor should they) it is unjust to hate him because of it.

If we are talking about being cautious with foster children because of statistically higher crime rates and whatnot, then that is one thing. That is simple prudence. But you are talking about holding each and every individual who is a foster child in contempt, simply because they are foster children.
Perhaps it is not an enormous difference, but it is significant enough to me.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351031664' post='2496540']
If they cannot change their circumstances, if these circumstances are thrust upon them with them having no say in the matter, then it seems unjust to me to treat them with contempt simply because of those circumstances. A person is defined by their actions. Not by their social conditions.
Just like since a person cannot change the colour of his skin (nor should they) it is unjust to hate him because of it.

If we are talking about being cautious with foster children because of statistically higher crime rates and whatnot, then that is one thing. That is simple prudence. But you are talking about holding each and every individual who is a foster child in contempt, simply because they are foster children.
Perhaps it is not an enormous difference, but it is significant enough to me.
[/quote]
If it's not such an enormous difference than why were you comparing it to racism?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1351031362' post='2496537']

No one is surprised that foster kids struggle...we all do. Growing up isn't easy for anybody.
[/quote]but growing up doesn't usually include being locked in a room without food or clean clothes. Or being raped repeatedly by one's father. Or being physically abused. No, not all foster kids have endured those things, just the ones I personally know.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1351032490' post='2496560']
but growing up doesn't usually include being locked in a room without food or clean clothes. Or being raped repeatedly by one's father. Or being physically abused. No, not all foster kids have endured those things, just the ones I personally know.
[/quote]
The foster kids I've personally known as well. Guess what? Get over it. Get a job.

Edited by r2Dtoo

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1351032288' post='2496555']

If it's not such an enormous difference than why were you comparing it to racism?
[/quote]
It is significant enough for me, as I said. If you do not care, that is on your conscience.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1351038339' post='2496623']
Hey R2.... quit being such a jackass.

Thanks.
[/quote]
This.

Ya know what. I will always tell people this: Get a job. If that makes me a jackass that so be it. I don't have time to deal with other people's problems when I've has enough in my life to deal with.

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy). Wow. I totally just proof read that. This is what drunk phatmassing leads to people. Don't try it.