An Old School Catholic Message Board

Give Me A Reason Why Catholicism Is Preferable To Orthodoxy...

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1350837239' post='2495666']
Right. So all is well. :proud:
[/quote]

But people ignore us... It's my understanding that the two lungs thing was more about us than the Orthodox Churches... We can haz recognition as legit Eastern Churches?

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1350840903' post='2495684']

But people ignore us... It's my understanding that the two lungs thing was more about us than the Orthodox Churches... We can haz recognition as legit Eastern Churches?
[/quote]
Hm. Iunno about that. I do not think that the "two lungs" concept is meant to exclude the Orthodox. The East-West schism is probably the single most painful, damaging situation in the entire Church, so we would be remiss not to do everything possible to gradually work towards reconciliation.

Certainly the Eastern sui juris Churches are important in their own right. Nobody could possibly say that they are not. But at the end of the day none of us, East or West, Catholic or Orthodox, can rest easy until the schism is healed. And perhaps it may never be, but it remains our obligation to work for it.

The Pope. And more than that, the unity in general. There are a ton of Rites in the Catholic Church, the most prevalently represented on this board being the Roman Rite. We also have the Byzantine Rite on PM, I believe some are interested in the Maronite Rite, etc. When one looks at the Orthodox churches, and this is merely my opinion as I converted to Catholicism, they are huge on a nationalistic identity. The Greek Orthodox. The Russian Orthodox. The Ukrainian Orthodox. Etc. Sure, they all get along well enough, but each is a separate church in and of itself, not linked by that one leading Bishop; even the Patriarchs are "first among equals".

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='add' timestamp='1350855752' post='2495738']
Cus, Catholics are happier ( everybody knows that)
[/quote]
I doubt I would have been.

Do the original poster: No. I will not.

Edited by Light and Truth

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1349991696' post='2492439']
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]τὸ ἐκ τοῦ Πaτρὸς ἐκπορευόμενον ?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
The original text of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan creed as it concerns the origin of the Holy Spirit (as given in Greek text in the quoted post) is certainly preferable to the Latin version.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1352860813' post='2509597']
Was this really meant to be a debate?
[/quote]

Not really, but it's about arguments, so I figured it'd be best in this phorum. :)

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1352872651' post='2509748']
Not really, but it's about arguments, so I figured it'd be best in this phorum. :)
[/quote]
Ok, just wondering if I should spend the time giving the alternative view.