An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Only Table Be Allowed To Post In Reyb Threads?

Groo the Wanderer

Should only table be allowed to post in threads started by reyb?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350060342' post='2492786']
You and I understand it differently. Where do we go to settle our difference?
[/quote]
[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1350061887' post='2492796']
to the Church...that's us
[/quote]

You really missed my purpose in inviting you to listen to the appeal of Apostle Paul. I am doing it not for myself but for you (and to all our listeners). This is the reason why I am insisting on this appeal because I am hoping you too will see Him in the same way Apostle Paul saw my Lord Jesus Christ. I am not lying to you. You can see Him too if only you will seek Him. Just honestly and truthfully follow the appeal of our dear Apostle Paul and you will see Him.

But what you are hoping to hear is this:

That the Magisterium of the Church has the sole authority in interpreting the scripture. (see CCC85, Dei Verbum 10.2)

This is what Apostle Paul is trying to avoid in his letter because this ‘self proclaim honor’ is the root cause of divisions among believers even during the time of Apostle Paul. Catholic is now having ‘one mind and thought’ among themselves while Protestants are doing the same thing. All of these things are because your early fathers arrogant postures. They never learn to listen to the appeal of Apostle Paul thus, they really deserved that kind of punishment.

What can we do?

Edited by reyb

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350064083' post='2492822']
You really missed my purpose in inviting you to listen to the appeal of Apostle Paul. I am doing it not for myself but for you (and to all our listeners). This is the reason why I am insisting on this appeal because I am hoping you too will see Him in the same way Apostle Paul saw my Lord Jesus Christ. I am not lying to you. You can see Him too if only you will seek Him. Just honestly and truthfully follow the appeal of our dear Apostle Paul and you will see Him.

But what you are hoping to hear is this:

That the Magisterium of the Church has the sole authority in interpreting the scripture. (see CCC85, Dei Verbum 10.2)

This is what Apostle Paul is trying to avoid in his letter because this ‘self proclaim honor’ is the root cause of divisions among believers even during the time of Apostle Paul. Catholic is now having ‘one mind and thought’ among themselves while Protestants are doing the same thing. All of these things are because your early fathers arrogant postures. They never learn to listen to the appeal of Apostle Paul thus, they really deserved that kind of punishment.

What can we do?
[/quote]
I disagree with you. Where can we go to resolve this?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350065892' post='2492835']
[/quote]
You may treat him as a tax collector. That is not meant to be taken as a malicious statement. It just means when the discussion goes around in circles until the Llamas don't know which end of their body their head is on. Then you cease the discussion unless there is a response that you feel another reader may benefit from.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350065892' post='2492835']
[/quote]
[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1350075199' post='2492874']
You may treat him as a tax collector. That is not meant to be taken as a malicious statement. It just means when the discussion goes around in circles until the Llamas don't know which end of their body their head is on. Then you cease the discussion unless there is a response that you feel another reader may benefit from.
[/quote]

Don’t you realize we are open to the whole world and we are in front of many witnesses? Have you ever read this passage in the scripture?

[indent=1]"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector . (Matt 18:15-17)[/indent]

Up to this moment, I am not yet treating you as a tax collector. As long as we have this day, you are still my brother. Just follow the appeal of our dear Apostle Paul even without me. Just read it carefully as it is written in 1 John 2:26-27

[indent=1]I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit — just as it has taught you, remain in him.[/indent]

Edited by reyb

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350079594' post='2492891']
Don’t you realize we are open to the whole world and we are in front of many witnesses? Have you ever read this passage in the scripture?

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector . (Matt 18:15-17)

Up to this moment, I am not yet treating you as a tax collector. As long as we have this day, you are still my brother. Just follow the appeal of our dear Apostle Paul even without me. Just read it carefully as it is written in 1 John 2:26-27

I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit — just as it has taught you, remain in him.
[/quote]

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350080048' post='2492894']
[/quote]

I said ‘read Apostle Paul alone’. Now, if you want me to go to your magisterium, bring them here since they themselves admitted that they are not above the ‘word of God’. Let us discuss these things in here. Here in phatmass.

Ask them what is that ‘foolishness of God’ mentioned by Apostle Paul.

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350080557' post='2492897']

I said ‘read Apostle Paul alone’. Now, if you want me to go to your magisterium, bring them here since they themselves admitted that they are not above the ‘word of God’. Let us discuss these things in here. Here in phatmass.

[/quote]

Why don’t you ask yourself? In my part, I am very much willing but, in your part, you are very hesitant to listen to Apostle Paul. Do you want me to obey the tradition of men rather than God?

Edited by reyb

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350080557' post='2492897']

[/quote]

I disagree as well. You are singling out the writing only of St. Paul and tossing out the rest of Sacred Scripture? Even Martin Luther didn't have the stones to do that. So where do we go to resolve these differences? We already have the teachings of the Magisterium (CCC, ecumenical councils, etc).

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1350086435' post='2492920']
I disagree as well. You are singling out the writing only of St. Paul and tossing out the rest of Sacred Scripture? Even Martin Luther didn't have the stones to do that. So where do we go to resolve these differences? We already have the teachings of the Magisterium (CCC, ecumenical councils, etc).
[/quote]

When I said (to Papist) ‘read Apostle Paul alone’ I am not saying ‘read the letters of Paul only’. What I mean is, if he did not want me to read the letter of Paul for him then read it alone (or even without me) because, I want him to understand the appeal of Apostle Paul.

Please read my previous post prior to the one you just posted. I said,

[quote]Up to this moment, I am not yet treating you as a tax collector. As long as we have this day, you are still my brother. Just follow the appeal of our dear Apostle Paul even without me. Just read it carefully as it is written in 1 John 2:26-27[/quote]

Please read my previous post in this thread so that you can see where we should go to settle our differences and please bring everyone who are willing to discuss with us including your magisterium and scholars. Do not make any bad impression about it. I am really willing to discuss with them for a honest to goodness discussion which will benefit everyone - not only me or you or papist but all including those who are just listening to us.

Edited by reyb

Groo the Wanderer

you are free to write to the magesterium. they will not be joining us on phatmass. kinda busy running the Church. God did reveal their addresses to you, right?

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1350114135' post='2492998']
you are free to write to the magesterium. they will not be joining us on phatmass. kinda busy running the Church. God did reveal their addresses to you, right?
[/quote]

I will wait for them. Let us go back to our discussion regarding ‘foolishness of God’.

According to [url="http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/09/weakness-of-god-is-stronger-than-men.html"]http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2009/09/weakness-of-god-is-stronger-than-men.html[/url]

While digging through some archives, I came across this gem from a homily by St John Chrysostom:

+ + + [begin passage]

. . Paul had this in mind then he said: "The weakness of God is stronger than men." That the preaching of these men was indeed divine is brought home to us in the same way. For how otherwise cold twelve uneducated men, who lived on lakes and rivers and wastelands, get the idea for such an immense enterprise? How could men who perhaps had never been in a city or a public square think of setting out to do battle with the whole world? hat they were fearful, timid men, the evangelist makes clear; he did not reject the fact nor try to hide their weaknesses. Indeed, he turned these into a proof of the truth. What did he say of them? That when Christ was arrested, the others fled, despite all the miracles they had seen, while he who was leader of the others denied him!

How then account for the fact that these men, who in Christ's lifetime did not stand up to the attacks by the Jews, set forth to do battle with the whole world once Christ was dead--if, as you claim, Christ did not rise and speak to them and rouse their courage? Did they perhaps say to themselves, "What is this? He could not help himself but he will protect us? He did not help himself when he was alive but now that he is dead he will extend a helping hand to us? In his lifetime he brought no nation under his banner, but by uttering his name we will win over the whole world?" Would it not be wholly irrational even to think such thoughts, much less to act upon them?

It is evident, then, that if they had not seen him risen and had proof of his power, they would not have risked so much.

+ + + [end of passage]

In this homily, ‘foolishness of God ‘is only in the eyes of those who do not believe but never in the eyes of a believer. As I previously posted, this is not the theme of Apostle Paul’s words (read his words carefully) because he is practically saying ‘‘God has foolishness’ - in his own eyes 'God has foolishness'.

Thus, I am asking again. What is that ‘foolishness of God’ in the eyes of Apostle Paul?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350079594' post='2492891']
[/quote]

I got some bad news for you! I don't think the world cares much what you, I or PM has to say.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350170028' post='2493168']

In this homily, ‘foolishness of God ‘is only in the eyes of those who do not believe but never in the eyes of a believer. As I previously posted, this is not the theme of Apostle Paul’s words (read his words carefully) because he is practically saying ‘‘God has foolishness’ - in his own eyes 'God has foolishness'.

Thus, I am asking again. What is that ‘foolishness of God’ in the eyes of Apostle Paul?
[/quote]

that is not at all what Paul is saying. you are again making the mistake of reading in 21st century english (or is that historical english?) Its like trying to literally read 'its raining cats and dogs' to mean that felines and canines were indeed falling from the sky.

The phrase' foolishness of God' means the inability of Man to comprehend God, so people, in their arrogance mistake what they cannot understand as something foolish. example: marching around jericho then yelling and screaming to make the walls fall down. Sounds silly to us, but to God it had a purpose.

therefore, when St Paul writes the foolishness of God is greater than the wisdom of man, what he is saying is that even the greatest of minds of Man cannot fully comprehend the least aspect of God. Which, btw kinda makes your assertion that you have full revelation of God sound even more obtuse.

wait for it...

wait for it....

now you will post that i misunderstood the historical apostle paul and your historical question and you will ask it yet again and demand the historical magisterium to all log into phatmass at once.....

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350056871' post='2492772']
Good question. The bible cannot interpret itself. Where do we go if we disagree on each other's interpretation?
[/quote]

We goto the LORD in prayer for ourself and others, and meditate on the holy word a bit more. And possibly have a squizzy at sacred tradition, the catechism included in that sacred tradition i guess.