An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Only Table Be Allowed To Post In Reyb Threads?

Groo the Wanderer

Should only table be allowed to post in threads started by reyb?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1349920756' post='2492165']
:popcorn:
[/quote]

How about you Groo? Do you know what is that 'foolishness of God' mentioned by Apostle Paul?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1349595944' post='2490910']
I want a "refuse to speculate" option. And also multiple answers allowed.
[/quote]
[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1349636522' post='2490970']
I still think we should fix Table up with Dairygirl....
[/quote]
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1349652014' post='2491033']
[/quote]

How about you Brothers? Do you know what is that 'foolishness of God' according to Apostle Paul?

Edited by reyb

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1349924288' post='2492187']

Since you accepted Paul as your Apostle in the same way I accepted him too as my dear Apostle, and because you tell me in my face that I am distorting his words in relation to his appeal. Can you now please tell me what he really meant in this letter?

The way I looked at it, he is not telling us to submit in anyone’s conviction or belief. Just like in our case, he is not saying, I will submit to your belief or you will submit to mine because he said

‘Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.’ (1 Cor 4:5).

Let me summarize his appeal (of course this is as far as I am concern) on how to settle our differences properly.

1. Let us settle our differences out of love to one another since Jesus Christ gave his life for all of us.
2. Do not go beyond what is written while we are discussing our differences so that no one will take pride over another.
3. Judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes.

Now since you think differently on how to settle our differences and proudly said I am wrong in reading Apostle Paul’s appeal. (Meaning, you have a correct understanding of him). Can you now please explain to me what is that ‘foolishness of God’ he mentioned in 1 Cor 1:25? (Because it has something to do with this appeal).

Apostle Paul said in1 Cor 1:16-25

For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel — not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

----------------------
I really want to learn from you. So, can you please tell me what is that ‘foolishness of God’?
[/quote]

There will be perfect union in heaven, and the nearer we approach it on earth, the nearer we come to perfection. Paul and Apollos both were faithful ministers of Jesus Christ, and helpers of their faith and joy; but those disposed to be contentious, broke into parties. So liable are the best things to be corrupted, and the gospel and its institutions made strategies of disharmony and disagreements. Satan has always strove to stir up strife among Christians, as one of his chief devices against the gospel.

Paul had been bred up in Jewish learning. However, the plain preaching of a crucified Jesus, was more powerful than all the oratory and philosophy of the heathen world. This is the sum and substance of the gospel. Christ crucified is the foundation of all our hopes, the fountain of all our joys. And by his death we live. The preaching of salvation for lost sinners by the sufferings and death of Christ, obedient to His Father’s will, if explained and faithfully applied, appears foolishness to those in the way to destruction. The sensual, the envious, the proud, and ambitious, alike see that the gospel opposes their favorite pursuits. But those who receive the gospel, and are enlightened by the Spirit of God, see more of God's wisdom and power in the doctrine of Christ crucified, than in all his other works. God left a great part of the world to follow the commands of man's boasted reason, and the event has shown that human wisdom is silliness, and is unable to find or retain the knowledge of God as the Creator. It pleased him, by the foolishness of preaching, to save them that believe. By the foolishness of preaching; not by what could justly be called foolish preaching. But the thing preached was foolishness to [u]worldly[/u]-wise men.

[b]The gospel always was, and always will be, foolishness to all in the road to destruction. [/b]The message of Christ, plainly delivered, ever has been a sure benchmark by which men may learn what road they are travelling. But the despised doctrine of salvation by faith in a crucified Christ(Savior), God in human nature, purchasing the Church with his own blood, to save the world, even all that believe, from ignorance, delusion, and vice, has been blessed in every age. And the weakest instruments God uses, are stronger in their effects, than the strongest men can use. Not that there is foolishness or weakness in God, but what men consider as such, overcomes all their admired wisdom and strength.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1349828031' post='2491769']

True the children of GOD will lay with lion cubs and not be eaten and pick up snakes without being harmed,
[/quote]
That seems familiar but I can't remember. Can you quote the source?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1349975374' post='2492335']
There will be perfect union in heaven, and the nearer we approach it on earth, the nearer we come to perfection. Paul and Apollos both were faithful ministers of Jesus Christ, and helpers of their faith and joy; but those disposed to be contentious, broke into parties. So liable are the best things to be corrupted, and the gospel and its institutions made strategies of disharmony and disagreements. Satan has always strove to stir up strife among Christians, as one of his chief devices against the gospel.

Paul had been bred up in Jewish learning. However, the plain preaching of a crucified Jesus, was more powerful than all the oratory and philosophy of the heathen world. This is the sum and substance of the gospel. Christ crucified is the foundation of all our hopes, the fountain of all our joys. And by his death we live. The preaching of salvation for lost sinners by the sufferings and death of Christ, obedient to His Father’s will, if explained and faithfully applied, appears foolishness to those in the way to destruction. The sensual, the envious, the proud, and ambitious, alike see that the gospel opposes their favorite pursuits. But those who receive the gospel, and are enlightened by the Spirit of God, see more of God's wisdom and power in the doctrine of Christ crucified, than in all his other works. God left a great part of the world to follow the commands of man's boasted reason, and the event has shown that human wisdom is silliness, and is unable to find or retain the knowledge of God as the Creator. It pleased him, by the foolishness of preaching, to save them that believe. By the foolishness of preaching; not by what could justly be called foolish preaching. But the thing preached was foolishness to [u]worldly[/u]-wise men.

[b]The gospel always was, and always will be, foolishness to all in the road to destruction. [/b]The message of Christ, plainly delivered, ever has been a sure benchmark by which men may learn what road they are travelling. But the despised doctrine of salvation by faith in a crucified Christ(Savior), God in human nature, purchasing the Church with his own blood, to save the world, even all that believe, from ignorance, delusion, and vice, has been blessed in every age. And the weakest instruments God uses, are stronger in their effects, than the strongest men can use. Not that there is foolishness or weakness in God, but what men consider as such, overcomes all their admired wisdom and strength.
[/quote]

Your argument can be universally presented by saying ‘the pride of one man’s faith is foolishness to others’. For example, the passion of Christ is foolishness in Buddhist point of view while in your eyes, it is the wisdom of God, and it is sacred. In the same token, the offering done by sun worshipper is foolishness in your eyes since you usually called them devil’s worshipper while to them, it is sacred and the only offering acceptable to God.

You can see this ‘foolish pride of religious people’ between early Christians and Jews. Jews did their offering using flesh and blood of animals while in your group you did it using bread and wine, and both of these offerings are believed to be in obedience to the commandments of God.

Again, your argument that [b]‘The gospel always was, and always will be, foolishness to all in the road to destruction’ [/b]is an example of what I just presented above. In your point of view, it is sacred but to others who do not believe in your faith it is foolishness.

Therefore, all religious people are fools in each other’s eyes and at the same time they are honouring the sacredness of this ‘foolishness’ with their own eyes. Even an ordinary level headed people can see such ‘foolish pride among different religious people’. Thus, what is so special about your belief other than you give your faith to it? But that is not what Apostle Paul is saying in his letter otherwise his appeal will be found useless because he seems to give his partiality in favoring one man over another.

What I want you to see is this:

He is practically saying ‘‘God has foolishness’ while in your presentation of argument it is the religious people who are fools in each other eyes because they see each other’s faith founded on unreasonable and illogical belief.

Nevetheless and just for the sake of argument, suppose I agree with you (and this is how you interpret this statement of Apostle Paul) He just said ‘foolishness of God’ but actually he is saying, ‘my faith in God is foolishness in the eyes of unbeliever’. So, what is that ‘weakness of God’ in this verse?

He said ‘1 Cor 1:25

[indent=1]For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.[/indent]

So what is that ‘weakness of God’?

Edited by reyb

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1349993734' post='2492473']
That seems familiar but I can't remember. Can you quote the source?
[/quote]

It's in the old testament somewhere, i don't know exact chapters and verses of my biblical quotes, and my quote isn't always identical to the words in the holy bible ,but same meaning. I am partially brain damaged, i don't rember things exactly. Another verse in the o.t. that is similar says something like this "the children of GOD will drink poison and not be affected." and i don't think he is talking about sloshing yourself daily with Rum.
<edit> I don't think it means nothing affects us but a child of GOD requests of the father for needs,for understanding that which confuses and when hurt for healing. Though it may mean to be in the world but not of the world and to have thick skin, but i don't see how to have thick skin without having a relationship with GOD the father often.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Many things take our vision away from GOD. And than we don't become immune to poison, and hide from the snakes and lions because though still children of GOD we aren't close to him, therefore can't drink poison or sleep with lion cubs and pick up snakes.

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350014214' post='2492596']
He said ‘1 Cor 1:25

[indent=1]For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.[/indent]

So what is that ‘weakness of God’?
[/quote]
I don't know. Please tell me.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350039982' post='2492711']
I don't know. Please tell me.
[/quote]

The weakness of God is that ’thing’ which he cannot do and that is, ‘God cannot lie or God cannot change his mind’ (1 Sam 15:29, Heb 6:18). On the other hand, man is either slave to sin or slave to righteousness and in these two conditions his strength is useless. He has no power to pass from darkness to light or from light to darkness. It is either he is obeying the commandment of God or he is disobeying the commandment of God. He is either having the assurance of salvation or having the eternal condemnation. Thus, it is written 2 Tim 2:13

[indent=1]13 if we are faithless,[/indent]
[indent=1]he will remain faithful ,[/indent]
[indent=1]for he cannot disown himself.[/indent]

To make it short, once the covenant was made between God and man, the weakness of God (which is God cannot change his mind) is greater than the strength of a man (which means his strength is useless since he cannot pass from light to darkness). Meaning, whether he likes it or not he is saved forever thus, it was called ‘assurance of salvation’. Hence, you can see Apostle Paul said in Rom 9:1-4

[indent=1]9:1 I speak the truth in Christ — I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel.[/indent]

On the other hand, to people who do not have the covenant with God, the weakness of God (which is God cannot change his mind) is greater than the strength of a man (which means his strength is useless since he cannot pass from darkness to light). Meaning, whether he likes it or not, he is doomed forever thus, it was called ‘eternal condemnation’.

Can I have now your permission to continue my request?

Edited by reyb

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350054371' post='2492761']
Can I have now your permission to continue my request?
[/quote]
No.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350055335' post='2492763']
No.
[/quote]

What can I do if you do not want to settle our disagreement? What can I do if you do not want to heed and listen to the appeal of Apostle Paul?

Now, since you previously said ‘...your warped interpretation of our dear Apostle Paul.’ -- meaning, I am distorting the words of Apostle Paul. You must prove it. Otherwise, you are violating the commandment of God in giving false testimony against me.

So, again what is that ‘foolishness of God’ mentioned by Apostle Paul (in 1 Cor 1:25)?

Edited by reyb

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350056102' post='2492770']

What can I do if you do not want to settle our disagreement?

Since you previously said ‘...your warped interpretation of our dear Apostle Paul.’ -- meaning, I am distorting the words of Apostle Paul. You must prove it. Otherwise, you are violating the commandment of God in giving false testimony against me.

So, again what is that ‘foolishness of God’ mentioned by Apostle Paul (in 1 Cor 1:25)?
[/quote]
Good question. The bible cannot interpret itself. Where do we go if we disagree on each other's interpretation?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1350056871' post='2492772']
Good question. The bible cannot interpret itself. Where do we go if we disagree on each other's interpretation?
[/quote]

Don't you see Apostle Paul's appeal?

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1350057664' post='2492773']

Don't you see Apostle Paul's appeal?
[/quote]
You and I understand it differently. Where do we go to settle our difference?