An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rejecting Doctines Generally V Infallibility

dairygirl4u2c

in the thread about rejecting catholic doctrines, there was this wiki page cited, which lead to this link....
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_dogma#Theological_certainties"]http://en.wikipedia....cal_certainties[/url]

with this quote in question
"The infallibility of the Magisterium extends also to teachings which are deduced from such truths (Fides ecclesiastica). These Church teachings or [i]Catholic truths (veritates catholicae)[/i] are not a part of divine revelation, yet are intimately related to it. The rejection of these "secondary" teachings is not heretical, but involves the impairment of full communion with the Catholic Church.[sup][size=2][color=#0645ad][22][/color][/size][/sup]
There are three categories of these "secondary" teachings (Fides ecclesiastica):[list]
[*][i]Theological conclusions:[/i] (conclusiones theologicae) religious truths, deduced from divine revelation and reason.
[*][i]Dogmatic facts (facta dogmatica)[/i] historical facts, not part of revelation but clearly related to it. For example the legitimacy of the papacy of Pope Benedict XVI, and the [color=#0645ad]Petrine office[/color]"
[/list]
now, normally the catholic would argue that rejecting a rejecting a doctrine is a mortal sin, as a general rule. why is it that rejecting the papacy merely a secondary teaching that is not heretical and thus one would presume not a moral sin, ie, not a "mortal sins of heresy" and mere "not in full communion with the Church", as one might extrapolate from the whole section?

i see at citation is the fundamentals of catholic dogma, which I don't have reach to at this time. but is there anyone else who can vouche for this qouteed teaching as authentic? and perhaps show some basis in papal writings for it?

it has some pretty big implications for someone like me who might view the catholic church in the lens of the orthodox, "first among equals", but wants to respect catholic teaching.

Groo the Wanderer

1st error DG - citing wiki on anything
2nd error DG - if you want to discuss what the Catholic Church teaches, cite magisterial documents. CCC is a good start
3rd error DG - i am out of bacon

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

i don't know exactly dairygirl my first 9 years of being a practising christian member of the holy catholic church has been based on scripture,the holy mass,other prayer,the holy sacraments and meditating on the mysteries of the holy rosary , this sounds like sacred tradition which i don't know much about but am hungry to know. I gave you 3 stars, this sounds very interesting and i hope to remember to check on this thread to see what the responses are. GOD bless you.

Onward christian souls.
JESUS is LORD

:edit: p.s. i have read a few encyclical letters and a few works of the saints, unsure if these fall under the banner of sacred tradition.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

stay hungry for the truth dairyqueen, i think jesus asked many questions of the elders in the temple when mary and joseph lost him temporarily when he was 12, as an example to us. He also said "ask and you will recieve", i know many or some whatever the number relate that passage to prayer, but possibly it is a general message also, to simply ask many questions.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye