An Old School Catholic Message Board

U.s. Press Plays Pravda

Lil Red

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348620173' post='2486732']
Pravda means truth. Thank you for your ringing endorsement of the US press.

In Russian, that is. In Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian it means justice. Either way it's still a pretty ringing endorsement.
[/quote]
From a friend:
[quote][font="arial"][size="2"][color="black"][font="arial"][size="2"][color="black"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"Pravda" is the name of the Soviet State newspaper which printed anything but "Pravda," and as such, it is no endorsement. Izvestia was the other State-run newspaper. It was Russian for "News." They were both so notorious for printing lies for the State that the Russian people came up with a little expression: "There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and no Izvestia in Pravda." [/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/quote]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348620173' post='2486732']
Pravda means truth. Thank you for your ringing endorsement of the US press.

In Russian, that is. In Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian it means justice. Either way it's still a pretty ringing endorsement.
[/quote]
From a friend:
[quote][font="arial"][size="2"][color="black"][font="arial"][size="2"][color="black"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"Pravda" is the name of the Soviet State newspaper which printed anything but "Pravda," and as such, it is no endorsement. Izvestia was the other State-run newspaper. It was Russian for "News." They were both so notorious for printing lies for the State that the Russian people came up with a little expression: "There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and no Izvestia in Pravda." [/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/quote]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1348705156' post='2487095']
From a friend:
[/quote]

These are lies propagated by the Whitist Finns in a pathetic attempt to discredit the worker's revolution.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1348785166' post='2487403']
Now the film-maker is under arrest. Obama Admistration ≠ Free Speach
[/quote]

On what charge?

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348792953' post='2487451']
On what charge?
[/quote]
I'd heard he had outstanding warrants, already. For what, I don't know. I lost interest before finishing the article.

According to the AP it was violating his parole. he committed fraud and a stipulation of his probation was to not use the computer or internet without getting the ok of his probation officer.

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/27/man-behind-anti-islam-film-arrested-authorities-say/"]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/27/man-behind-anti-islam-film-arrested-authorities-say/[/url]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348793942' post='2487456']
According to the AP it was violating his parole. he committed fraud and a stipulation of his probation was to not use the computer or internet without getting the ok of his probation officer.

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/27/man-behind-anti-islam-film-arrested-authorities-say/"]http://www.foxnews.c...uthorities-say/[/url]
[/quote]
That sounds familiar.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348793942' post='2487456']

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/27/man-behind-anti-islam-film-arrested-authorities-say/"]http://www.foxnews.c...uthorities-say/[/url]
[/quote]

This is a way to punish him for his involvement with an offensive but otherwise protect form of free speech. The Feds brought him in for questioning about the video, it stands to reason they wanted to find some way to charge him for his involment in this offense speech. They found their loophole to the First Amendment, HURRAY FOR FREEDOM!!!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1348795179' post='2487466']
This is a way to punish him for his involvement with an offensive but otherwise protect form of free speech. The Feds brought him in for questioning about the video, it stands to reason they wanted to find some way to charge him for his involment in this offense speech. They found their loophole to the First Amendment, HURRAY FOR FREEDOM!!!
[/quote]

That's a pretty big assumption. It seems pretty indisputable that he is guilty of violating his parole. Are you saying that they shouldn't charge him for a probation stipulation, which was put on him prior to this video was created and had nothing to do with any attempt to limit his right to produce offensive speech, because that violation took the form of offensive speech? If they were just throwing mud at the wall to see what stuck, trying every possible legal maneuver to lock him up, then I would agree with you, but this seems to be a pretty straightforward violation.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348795552' post='2487469']
That's a pretty big assumption. It seems pretty indisputable that he is guilty of violating his parole. Are you saying that they shouldn't charge him for a probation stipulation, which was put on him prior to this video was created and had nothing to do with any attempt to limit his right to produce offensive speech, because that violation took the form of offensive speech? If they were just throwing mud at the wall to see what stuck, trying every possible legal maneuver to lock him up, then I would agree with you, but this seems to be a pretty straightforward violation.
[/quote]

It just seems really unreasonable and naive to believe his arrest is not actually about his video, a form of free speech, offending people. But believe as you see fit.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1348795989' post='2487470']
It just seems really unreasonable and naive to believe his arrest is not actually about his video, a form of free speech, offending people. But believe as you see fit.
[/quote]

It is about his video since making that video violated the terms of his parole. Not because of the content but because of the medium. I'm really not the one making a positive claim here. I'm not saying that the trouble that the video caused had nothing to do with their decision. I have no idea. That's require some serious analysis of the probation office's stats. I'm just saying that you are making an assumption about the motive for the arrest that really isn't proven by the evidence.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1348796206' post='2487473']

It is about his video since making that video violated the terms of his parole. Not because of the content but because of the medium. I'm really not the one making a positive claim here. I'm not saying that the trouble that the video caused had nothing to do with their decision. I have no idea. That's require some serious analysis of the probation office's stats. I'm just saying that you are making an assumption about the motive for the arrest that really isn't proven by the evidence.
[/quote]

Loophole hurray freedom!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1348796528' post='2487474']
Loophole hurray freedom!
[/quote]

I guess you've decided to stop arguing your point.