An Old School Catholic Message Board

Instruction On The Ecclesial Vocation Of A Theologian

Amppax

[size=4]When he was prefect of the CDF, Pope wrote this describing the role of the theologian in the Church. For anyone with an interest in theology, it is a fascinating read. Here's a link to the document: [/size][url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19900524_theologian-vocation_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19900524_theologian-vocation_en.html[/url]

[size=4]However, in reading the document, I had a specific question I wanted to discuss. In a section examining the nature of dissent, Benedict wrote that dissent most often takes the form of " assert[ing] that the theologian is not bound to adhere to any Magisterial teaching unless it is infallible." On many occasions here, people have said similar things, but here it is said that not adhering to the Magisterium even on non-binding matters is also dissent. Would this definition of dissent also apply in these cases, and if so, how big of a problem is this. [/size]

I apologize if this is unclear, I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep right now. I just read the document last night, and I felt a need to throw this out here.

Basilisa Marie

I think there's a difference between dissent and challenging the Magisterium on non-binding matters. Theologians are definitely bound to the teachings of the Church, but within our tradition plenty of theologians have "pushed the envelope." Aquinas was one of them during his time, and now he's one of the foremost theologians in the history of Christianity. One of my professors once told us that if you write something that seems theologically suspect, the Vatican will ask you to defend yourself. If you can adequately contextualize and support your position from the Tradition, then usually everything's razzle dazzle. Dissent seems more like a rupture from that tradition.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1346785706' post='2478352']
I think there's a difference between dissent and challenging the Magisterium on non-binding matters. Theologians are definitely bound to the teachings of the Church, but within our tradition plenty of theologians have "pushed the envelope." Aquinas was one of them during his time, and now he's one of the foremost theologians in the history of Christianity. One of my professors once told us that if you write something that seems theologically suspect, the Vatican will ask you to defend yourself. If you can adequately contextualize and support your position from the Tradition, then usually everything's razzle dazzle. Dissent seems more like a rupture from that tradition.
[/quote]

That concern is covered in the document, I really picked out a very narrow quote.

Also would the dissent be good in nature if its not meant to demean church teachings rather to either illustrate or illuminate them in a way, such as bringing them into context that would be more legible to those in the age the particular theologian occupies.

ed