An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voter Id Laws: A Fake Solution To A Fake Problem

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1346638760' post='2477739']
You obviously aren't from Chicago.....
[/quote]I'm sure those problems would have been solved by ID laws.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1346646266' post='2477778']
Less than a thousand votes in Palm Beach County, Florida made the difference in the 2000 presidential election.
[/quote]

Yes, it can happen that large elections come down to small differences. The real concern will still be inside jobs. It's a distraction issue.

Archaeology cat

Haven't read whole thread, so my apologies. I think one should have to show some form of ID, and that it should therefore be easy to get said ID. They have people go around to register people to vote, so perhaps they could have a similar thing for IDs. I think a social security card could also be accepted as proof of ID. In FL a DMV ID card is $25. While I know that doesn't sound like much, I can certainly understand it being cost-prohibitive to some. I do feel people should educate themselves on the candidates before voting, but their income isn't indicative of that. S anyway, I do like having to show some form of ID, but it needs to be done in such a way that people are not disenfranchised.

[quote name='Innocent' timestamp='1346665291' post='2477836']
Hasan, are you protesting the concept of a voter ID in itself, or are you saying that this has been introduced too close to the next election that several people won't be able to get to vote on account of it?

Would you be against a Voter ID system if it was implemented by the Govt. sending officials from door to door to ensure that everyone gets a Voter ID card, and providing this card free of cost to every citizen who is of age to exercise franchise? eg. [url="http://www.deccanherald.com/content/73080/content/219141/secret-my-longevity.html"]1[/url], [url="http://post.jagran.com/UP-to-provide-door-to-door-service-for-Voter-ID-cards-1315044802"]2[/url], [url="http://sarjapur-road.com/tag/voter-id"]3[/url], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5QBERU7wNE"]4[/url]
[/quote]

That is exactly right, Innocent. I have no problem with photo ID requirements in and of themselves. If the state was willing to somehow ensure that no citizen who wanted to vote was unable to get the ID then I would have no problem with the law. But this is part of a larger trend of republican state bodies trying to limit the ability of groups that tend to vote democrat's ability to vote. In America many students go to school outside of their home district and have to re-register to vote in the district they go to school in. There are proposed laws to stop student groups and other 'third-party' groups from registering people. Student groups hold registration drives on campus all the time and that is a major force in registering students (who tend to vote democrat). Student ID's are not being accepted. You have decisions to restrict early voting days to times when republicans tend to vote but democrates tend not to. These laws are part of a larger trend.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346657769' post='2477826']
I have one question: how do these people buy beer, cigarettes, tobacco, or R-rated movies? You might say they don't.

Okay, then. How do these people get jobs without an ID? What's that? They don't have jobs? Oh, right. So how do these 25% of African-Americans receive welfare or unemployment benefits without an ID?

This is madness.
[/quote]

None of those things really require an ID. When I worked in a grocery store the policy was to card anyone who look like they were under 27 and I don't recall ever being asked to produce an ID for any job that I've ever had.

[url="http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/08/voter_id_laws_why_do_minorities_lack_id_to_show_at_the_polls_.html"]http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/08/voter_id_laws_why_do_minorities_lack_id_to_show_at_the_polls_.html[/url]

Oh, come on now y'all know this is just a vote grab. If you are an illegal in this country you can't vote.
Voting is a right of citizens only, nationalize or otherwise (for valid reasons)

[quote name='add' timestamp='1346691562' post='2477893']
Oh, come on now y'all know this is just a vote grab. If you are an illegal in this country you can't vote.
Voting is a right of citizens only, nationalize or otherwise (for valid reasons)
[/quote]

What are you talking about?

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1346691237' post='2477889']
I don't recall ever being asked to produce an ID for any job that I've ever had.
[/quote]Of course nobody is going to ask you for ID when they pick you up on the street corner...

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1346691237' post='2477889']
I don't recall ever being asked to produce an ID for any job that I've ever had.
[/quote]I've had to at least two forms of ID for every job I've had. I've had to show ID to get drug tested for these jobs. I've had to show ID for every place I've rented. I've had to show ID nearly every time I buy EtOH. I had to show ID when I bought my car. I had to show ID to get my Remington. I had to show ID to get a bank account. I had to show ID to get my ID. Barack Harald Obama with a rubber crutch, what is the flooping deal here. I hardly believe that all these places are attempting to marginalize poor people.

Edited by ardillacid

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1346692221' post='2477898']
Of course nobody is going to ask you for ID when they pick you up on the street corner...
[/quote]

Well, they would need to make sure I'm 18. Which is hard to do given how much make-up I put on when I'm in drag.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1346692507' post='2477902']
Well, they would need to make sure I'm 18. Which is hard to do given how much make-up I put on when I'm in drag.
[/quote]So what do poor prostitutes do who can't afford ID?

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1346693133' post='2477905']
So what do poor prostitutes do who can't afford ID?
[/quote]

That's where Daddy helps you out.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1346693133' post='2477905']
So what do poor prostitutes do who can't afford ID?
[/quote]
Work harder.