An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voter Id Laws: A Fake Solution To A Fake Problem

If you don't know how to vote, how to get ID, then what knowledge of the issues or candidates do you have. The easier it is for ignorant voters to vote, the stupider and more superficial lying politicians we end up with. We've got enough.

If you wont take responsibilty for yourself, of course you will want the Government to take care of you.

And if you want to buy a quart of beer, you need photo ID, how is this okay?
Cash a check or buy tobacco products or have an adult beverage at a restaurant, or get on an airplane, all require the person to provide a reliable form of Identification.

What's the dif with voting?

Edited by add

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1346615518' post='2477640']
It's not necessary lazy. At Chapel Hill the DMV is miles and miles away and the buses don't go out there. It's really difficult to find. If you don't have a car and your working 2 or 3 shiitake mushroom minimum wage jobs then your trouble attaining an ID is not necessarily from being too lazy.
[/quote]

And that's why Chapel Hill students don't drink, smoke, gamble, go to clubs, buy R-rated films at Wal-Mart, or have basic utility services. Oh wait...most of them do those things which require an ID? Never mind.

Now I'm playing Devil's Advocate, yes, if someone is working 2-3 minimum wage jobs, it can be hard to get to a place if one needs to get a ride from friends to go get an ID. A real friend is someone who will wait 3 hours for you at the DMV because you need a ride. That said, most areas I've been in, choose centrally located areas for their DMVs where mass transit goes nearby, both in WV and PA. Once someone's at the DMV, [url="http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml"]PA issues a free ID for voting[/url] and WV charges $5-$8 (when I had one) for a state ID that isn't a driver's license.

Looking at the map, I seriously don't understand why NC hates Chapel Hill so much, but both nearby DMV offices, like you said, aren't on mass transit routes. Plus they seem to be equidistant away from the university in what is relatively the middle of nowhere in each direction.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1346622215' post='2477665']
And if you want to buy a quart of beer,
[/quote]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l06lh0alH01qbsrfxo1_500.jpg[/img]

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1346615518' post='2477640']
It's not necessary lazy. At Chapel Hill the DMV is miles and miles away and the buses don't go out there. It's really difficult to find. If you don't have a car and your working 2 or 3 shiitake mushroom minimum wage jobs then your trouble attaining an ID is not necessarily from being too lazy.

If the sort of fraud this law was designed to prevent were an actual problem then it would be tricky but since there is no such problem what is the point of making it more difficult for people who tend not to have flexible work hours and poor transportation options to actually vote? Aside from, you know, helping republicans.

[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=87NN5sdqNt8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=87NN5sdqNt8[/url][/media]
[/quote]

Didn't watch the video-the 'right turn only' turned me off.

Sounds like you are right about Chapel Hill, but it seems to be an exceptional case.

You say there is no actual voter fraud taking place (ie 'no problem') but there are so many cases where dead people have voted. Of course, as you say, voter fraud is a tricky problem to get any substantive statistics on.

Whichever way this voter ID issue goes, it will help one party. Neither party can point the finger at the other for trying to change/not change this law, since both do it with their own interests in mind.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1346621346' post='2477662']
If you don't know how to vote, how to get ID, then what knowledge of the issues or candidates do you have. The easier it is for ignorant voters to vote, the stupider and more superficial lying politicians we end up with. We've got enough.

If you wont take responsibilty for yourself, of course you will want the Government to take care of you.
[/quote]

I'm glad that you're such hot poo. I think it's fantastic that you are an asset to the country, unlike a single mother with a shiitake mushroom wal-mart job, who is apparently a leech. Next time you see Ayn Rand at John Galt's place please tell her I said 'hi.' But somehow it seems like their might be an issue with a government which makes pretense to be representative body not, you know, representing a large portion of the electorate.

The reason, this is a bad idea, is because similar seemingly reasonable requirements were used to systematically disenfranchise blacks in the south. And these laws are part of a larger trend of seeing regulations while, while no one is too onerous, together combine to make voting much more difficult for [s]the scum of this nation, who are unworthy to even kiss you, the great productive citizen's shoe [/s]low income voters in general, and black voters in particular.

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='add' timestamp='1346633801' post='2477708']
30,000 dead people registered to vote

LINK: [url="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/02/3497857/group-says-it-found-30000-dead.html"]http://www.charlotte...30000-dead.html[/url]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.npr.org/2012/02/14/146827471/study-1-8-million-dead-people-still-registered-to-vote"]http://www.npr.org/2012/02/14/146827471/study-1-8-million-dead-people-still-registered-to-vote[/url]

GeorgiiMichael

I won't weigh in too much on the issue because I think both sides are being a bit ridiculous about the whole thing and both sides have reasons to either pass or not pass the law.

All I know is, my friend from Illinois and his family found out that his grandfather (who had been dead for a good 10 years or so) voted in the 2008 election.

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1346634738' post='2477712']
I won't weigh in too much on the issue because I think both sides are being a bit ridiculous about the whole thing and both sides have reasons to either pass or not pass the law.

All I know is, my friend from Illinois and his family found out that his grandfather (who had been dead for a good 10 years or so) voted in the 2008 election.
[/quote]

How do they know that he voted?

GeorgiiMichael

I think it was in the paper? I'm not sure the exact details, but depending on the state, they'll announce who voted. It hearkens back to a time when people used actual paper ballots and when the vote was cast the poll attendant would announce, "Joe Schmoe has voted."

GeorgiiMichael

Double post, sorry.

I haven't made up my mind on the Voter ID laws yet, but I do know that we have a royally screwed up electoral system all across the board. Voter fraud is far too easy when you have over a million people who are dead still registered to vote.

In most places in the country, voting is looked upon as a right and a duty, but in Chicago it's a sport. In Chicago not only your vote counts, but all kinds of other votes--kids, dead folks, and so on.

Johnsonville brat Gregory, Johnsonville brat Gregory's Political Primer, 1972

In most places in the country, voting is looked upon as a right and a duty, but in Chicago it's a sport. In Chicago not only your vote counts, but all kinds of other votes--kids, dead folks, and so on.

Johnsonville brat Gregory, Johnsonville brat Gregory's Political Primer, 1972