An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death Penalty And Pro Life

Annie12

Death Penalty  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Note: I got the idea of this poll from another poll that is trending right now. Just want to be honest

Keep this in mind when answering poll

[quote][font="Century Gothic"][b]Pope John Paul II[/b] in his encyclical, [i]The Gospel of Life[/i] (1995) wrote:[/font][indent]
[font="Century Gothic"][b][size="2"]...the nature and extent of the punishment must be carefully evaluated and decided upon, and ought not go to the extreme of executing the offender except in cases of absolute necessity: in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society. Today however, as a result of steady improvements in the organization of the penal system, such cases are very rare if not practically nonexistent.[/size] [size="1"](1)[/size][/b][/font][/indent]
[/quote]

[i]Note: I got the idea of this poll from another poll that is trending right now. Just want to be honest[/i].

PhuturePriest

I didn't vote because the wording was a little wrong. As Pope John Paul II says himself, [size=5]"...[font=Century Gothic][b] except in cases of absolute necessity: in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society."[/b][/font][/size] So you can be technically [i]for [/i]the death penalty in these situations and still be a good Catholic. However, these instances are rare and unlikely, especially in our advanced culture. So the answer is "yes" and "no". It just depends on what you are talking about specifically. Death penalty in most cases? No, you cannot be a good Catholic and be for these. But there are those one in a million cases where it is unfortunately necessary.

KnightofChrist

This has all happened before. It will all happen again.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Basilisa Marie

If people complain about pro-choice Catholics being allowed to receive communion, they have to make the same argument for pro-death penalty politicians in the United States.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1345745752' post='2472770']
If people complain about pro-choice Catholics being allowed to receive communion, they have to make the same argument for pro-death penalty politicians in the United States.
[/quote]I don't see how. Two totally different things.
A- Killing a child who is incapable of doing harm with intent so has done nothing to 'earn' the consequence of their intentional act.
B- Killing an adult who acted on their ability to do with intent and has 'earned' the consequence of their intentional action.
Kinda falls in line with Catholic teaching of what consitutes a Grave Act being a Mortal Sin or not, donchano?

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1345745752' post='2472770']
[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Church allows for Catholics to either support or oppose the death penalty. The Church does not allow for the support of abortion, so you're talking about two very different situations. A person who supports abortion is in direct violation of Church teaching. A person who supports the death penalty is not [i]necessarily[/i].

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1345742086' post='2472734']
Why? For the love of all that's holy, don't start this.
[/quote]

[img]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/261/kill_it_with_fire_square.jpg[/img]

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1345743093' post='2472740']
[/quote]
[img]http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/battlestar.jpg[/img]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345747155' post='2472793']
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Church allows for Catholics to either support or oppose the death penalty. The Church does not allow for the support of abortion, so you're talking about two very different situations. A person who supports abortion is in direct violation of Church teaching. A person who supports the death penalty is not [i]necessarily[/i].
[/quote]

This is why I didn't vote yes or no on the poll, because the answer is both. It just depends on what context you are referring to. Obviously, killing a person that doesn't necessarily need to be killed is bad. However, killing a person that you must kill for the safety of others is morally acceptable. The problem is trying to explain the case for what does and does not violate the safety of others, as people can argue simply letting a murderer in a prison with other people violates their safety, which is somewhat does. It definitely isn't the easiest Church teaching to understand or explain.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1345743093' post='2472740']
[/quote]
sometimes, I just wanna give you a hug.

no srsly..

i do.