An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paul Ryan- Ayn Rand

sixpence

Nihil Obstat

I appreciate many of Nietzsche's views, even though I don't agree with them. You can appreciate a philosopher without agreeing with them, and you can agree with parts of their message without embracing all of it.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345594612' post='2471584']
I appreciate many of Nietzsche's views, even though I don't agree with them. You can appreciate a philosopher without agreeing with them, and you can agree with parts of their message without embracing all of it.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Nihil Obstat

I say this a lot, but I find Nietzsche's [i]ubermensch [/i]concept to be fascinating. I completely understand why people spend their whole lives studying him.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345595045' post='2471591']
I say this a lot, but I find Nietzsche's [i]ubermensch [/i]concept to be fascinating. I completely understand why people spend their whole lives studying him.
[/quote]

I love it too!

It's just so frustratingly purposeless to a degree. I compare Kierkegaard's symbol of the individual a lot to it, though Soren's individual has a purpose as opposed to Nietzsche's.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1345607029' post='2471763']
I love it too!

It's just so frustratingly purposeless to a degree. I compare Kierkegaard's symbol of the individual a lot to it, though Soren's individual has a purpose as opposed to Nietzsche's.
[/quote]

I think I made that connection as well, last year. I recall writing about basically a radical aloneness that the ubermensch must experience, by his very nature. And I think Kierkegaard was saying the same thing about the Knight of Faith, was he not? Or at least something similar.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345302154' post='2469703']
I think his point is that even though he does not agree with her philosophy/worldview, he believes she has done a good service bringing to light the necessity of morality within capitalism.
[/quote]

That's not what she advocated. She didn't advocate morality within capitalism, she advocated (her fictional idealization of) capitalism as morality.

PhuturePriest

I'm just glad somebody clarified Ayn Rand was a woman. What kind of name is Ayn anyway? Talk about new age names taking an even worse turn than usual.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345608944' post='2471786']
I'm just glad somebody clarified Ayn Rand was a woman. What kind of name is Ayn anyway? Talk about new age names taking an even worse turn than usual.
[/quote]

It's Hebrew.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1345609075' post='2471788']
It's Hebrew.
[/quote]

Hebrews and their crazy new age names...

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345607120' post='2471764']
I think I made that connection as well, last year. I recall writing about basically a radical aloneness that the ubermensch must experience, by his very nature. And I think Kierkegaard was saying the same thing about the Knight of Faith, was he not? Or at least something similar.
[/quote]

I go more the route of how in essence frustrating the Ubermensch's end goal is, since it is to simply become. Kierkegaard's symbol on the other hand is striving to stand before God as close as he can, which is at the very least a goal.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1345616735' post='2471862']
I go more the route of how in essence frustrating the Ubermensch's end goal is, since it is to simply become. Kierkegaard's symbol on the other hand is striving to stand before God as close as he can, which is at the very least a goal.
[/quote]

I'm having more trouble remembering the Knight of Faith, because we didn't spend as much time on it, and I was having a bit more trouble understanding it. From what I recall, the strongest connection I made was how both are essentially alone, perhaps you might say alone in their superiority, above normal people. But I guess for Kierkegaard he's not alone so much as leaving the world behind to go towards God.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1345607497' post='2471769']
That's not what she advocated. She didn't advocate morality within capitalism, she advocated (her fictional idealization of) capitalism as morality.
[/quote]
Yes. I believe that is his point. But really, morality should be part of everything.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345609102' post='2471790']
Hebrews and their crazy new age names...
[/quote]

Actually she based it off a Finnish name, Ina. Sort of rhymes with mine, fine, wine. I remember reading her postscript to the Fountainhead and she claimed she chose an unusual spelling to be contrary, more or less. Confuse people and make them think it was a misspelling of Anne. I don't think that was the real reason though. Her birth name was Alisa. Supposedly she picked "Rand' off a brand-name typewriter.