An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paul Ryan- Ayn Rand

sixpence

I never would guess I would start a political thread on PM.... but this is what happens when I go visit home and get bored....

Saw this article on Facebook (the source of all news), thought I'd share it.

snippet:

I gave Ryan a complimentary copy of my book. During the interview, I said to him: “Ayn Rand has been a great influence on you, but there’s dark and light in her.”
He replied: “I am by no means an objectivist; I am a Catholic, you know. I am nothing close to an objectivist, but I do think Ayn Rand did a service, did a great job of outlining the morality of capitalism, of making the moral case for freedom, free enterprise and capitalism. You don’t have to buy into all the objectivist stuff to appreciate what she did on that front.”
[color=#000000][left][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
Read more: [url="http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/the-paul-ryan-ayn-rand-connection-whats-a-catholic-to-think/#ixzz23uNswXdu"]http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/the-paul-ryan-ayn-rand-connection-whats-a-catholic-to-think/#ixzz23uNswXdu[/url][/background][/left][/color]

I think his point is that even though he does not agree with her philosophy/worldview, he believes she has done a good service bringing to light the necessity of morality within capitalism.

PhuturePriest

From what I have heard, after complaint from the Bishops about it he has distanced himself from Ayn Rand.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345302154' post='2469703']
I think his point is that even though he does not agree with her philosophy/worldview, he believes she has done a good service bringing to light the necessity of morality within capitalism.
[/quote]

Have you read Ayn Rand?

Paul Ryan does not like capitalism. He likes corporatism. Different animal. I'd prefer Rand to Ryan. At least she rejected government aid to failed businesses.

Paul Ryan voted for TARP, Medicare Part D, and the GM bailout all of which contradict Rand's idea of minimalist government. Aside from the fact that he has supposedly read Ann Rand's books I have no idea why anyone would compare him to one of the mother's of the libertarian movement.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1345304708' post='2469716']
Have you read Ayn Rand?
[/quote]
Yes. But irrelevant. OP is about another person's view of Rand, which is what I posted about.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345317405' post='2469767']
Paul Ryan does not like capitalism. He likes corporatism. Different animal. I'd prefer Rand to Ryan. At least she rejected government aid to failed businesses.
[/quote]
What is "corporatism"? And what is your evidence Ryan is for such?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345328311' post='2469830']
What is "corporatism"? And what is your evidence Ryan is for such?
[/quote]

Fine Paul Ryan loves the free market. Which is why he supported every bailout and totally wants the Federal Reserve to continue printing money to benefit the banks.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345329089' post='2469836']
Fine Paul Ryan loves the free market. Which is why he supported every bailout and totally wants the Federal Reserve to continue printing money to benefit the banks.
[/quote]
Really?

And that is corporatism?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345332503' post='2469860']
Really?

And that is corporatism?
[/quote]
Do you have google?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345349924' post='2470015']
Do you have google?
[/quote]
I had that once, but penicillin took care of it.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345378028' post='2470108']
I had that once, but penicillin took care of it.
[/quote]
Then blame big pharma.

ThePenciledOne

If you understand the value of a thinker, and take his/her philosophy for what it is seeing both flaws and strengths. This is why I tend to enjoy more of the 'strange', 'dangerous' thinkers in philosophy like Marx, Nietzsche and Scheler, because even though some of their thoughts are entirely in line with Catholic teaching they still glean quite a bit of the big questions.

The fact that Paul Ryan seems to understand this in the quote of the OP, seems to say a lot for his mindset....I like it.