An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lcwr Vs Sspx - Which Will Get On Track First?

AccountDeleted

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1344987834' post='2467664']
While I realize all analogies limp, I think this "hiking in the woods" analogy isn't very good, as it (intentionally or not) seems to follow the central "progressive" conceit that the Catholic Faith is marching progressively ever leftward, and that while conservative Catholics are dawdling behind, "liberal" or "progressive" Catholics are in fact ahead of the game, and at the vanguard of Catholic thought. After all, it's only a matter of time before the fuddy-duddy celibate male hierarchy will be forced to get with the times and follow the People of God by giving its blessing to womyn priestesses, gay marriages, neo-pagan goddess spirituality, and the rest of it. By this mindset, "liberal Catholics" aren't so much heretical as ahead of the curve.

I prefer the analogy of the Bark of Peter. If you're not on board, you're left floundering on your own in the sea, whether you happened to jump ship on the port or on the starboard.

I think, unfortunately, liberal dissenters like those in the LCWR will try to remain "officially" under Rome while continuing to push unorthodox teachings, as they are like termites who do their damage from within. The SSPX folks are at least more honest and straightforward about their differences.

I don't like speculating on this, like we're placing bets on ponies, but the SSPX, while they are in grave disobedience, are not heretical in their teachings, while much of the LCWR's croutons is not even Christian.

Perhaps it's just because I'm a stubborn conservative, but I reject the notion that the future of the Church will inevitably be more "liberal" and "progressive." Many of the younger priests and religious, and those seriously active in the Church (as opposed to those who check their religion as "Catholic" in an opinion survey) are more orthodox and traditional than their elders, and from what I've seen, there are actually more young people at more orthodox and traditional parishes than at more liberal ones. I don't think the Church will ever go back to just like the pre-Vatican II days, but I think it will be more orthodox and "conservative," if smaller.
[/quote]

In australia the government and certain public are pushing at homosexual civil union. And where near election time here so i was chatting to a candidate at a bus interchange and he says that his understanding is they will never undermine the religions and force them to marry homo-sexuals, he also said that civil unions are not marriage persay but that they will be considered partners at tax time or the social security office for government payments. I asked him if he believed that life began at conception and he said yes, but than he also said abortion is a womens choice, so i won't be voting for him. Though i must pray for him, i used the old argument that the child is destined to be human so is human, the child is not destined to become a monkey or a hippopotamus etc, therefore is human and that it is legal murder if it is a human and wrong. He heart broke when i siad that and wished him well and walked away. Which reminds me i must pray for him whiles there is a crack in his armour.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1344646238' post='2465828']
Claire, I struggle to see this in terms of age. In the Gospels we see labourers coming to the vineyard at the eleventh hour, and still receiving their full day's wage. The fact that the dissenters in the LCWR are predominantly elderly doesn't seem all that significant when you remember that conversion of the heart can happen in a moment, and it only takes one spark for the fire to spread.

Meanwhile, the Gospel also gives us the story of the young man who asked Jesus what he must do to become perfect - and who then 'went away sad', because what was asked of him was just too hard. He seemed to have everything on his side, all the promise of youth, and his theological understanding was certainly brilliant. But for what? In the end he couldn't bring himself to do what was needed.

The more I think about this, the more it makes me uncomfortable to try and predict who will come home first. It's not a race. I wouldn't like someone looking at my sins and those of some other person, then talking over who is likely to repent the quickest.
[/quote]
I completely agree.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1344987834' post='2467664']
While I realize all analogies limp, I think this "hiking in the woods" analogy isn't very good, as it (intentionally or not) seems to follow the central "progressive" conceit that the Catholic Faith is marching progressively ever leftward, and that while conservative Catholics are dawdling behind, "liberal" or "progressive" Catholics are in fact ahead of the game, and at the vanguard of Catholic thought.
[/quote]

It might help the analogy to think of the parent moving through space and time at a CONSTANT velocity, while the others are diverging from that, and not get hung up on the fact that there is motion in a direction. I don't think that is what was meant by the post. PS~I truly do not like physics.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1345158823' post='2468856']
It might help the analogy to think of the parent moving through space and time at a CONSTANT velocity, while the others are diverging from that, and not get hung up on the fact that there is motion in a direction. I don't think that is what was meant by the post. PS~I truly do not like physics.
[/quote]

YES! THIS!

I knew the whole "walking on a path" would have the drawback of there being some kind of end goal in mind and something about the myth of endless progress. Valid criticism. I meant it more like...progressing through time towards the end of the world/second coming/eschaton/etc as the "end goal" of the hike, where only God knows what the Church will look like when we "get there."