An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teenage Pregnancy.

Spem in alium

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1344701460' post='2466081']
So, when you see a suffering person, you rub their noses in it and screech, "You asked for it!" ?

......most people would consider that rude, offensive, and uncharitable.
[/quote]

Others call it common sense.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344701656' post='2466084']
Others call it common sense.
[/quote]

Common sense is the sufferer figuring out the consequences of their actions on their own.
You telling them, "I told you so" is just spiteful.
That is not how Jesus dealt with people who had no common sense.

John 8:4, 10, 11 (NRSV)

Edited by Tally Marx

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344700873' post='2466068']

If they were smoking a cigarette, then yes, I WOULD make a sarcastic remark. I've done it to my neighbor (although he doesn't have cancer, he would complain about other health problems that could be related to smoking).
[/quote]

Wow. Just wow.

norse, it would be different if you were a 70+ year old gramma type who said what you said. they can pretty much get away with that. (okay, with a lot of comments that other people can't get away with. lol) don't you see how people would be a little perturbed having your comment come from an older, single, never married, male? instead of coming out as helpful or admonishing, it comes off as creepy and/or judgmental, though that is not your intent.

isn't a rule of evangelizing, know your audience?

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1344703124' post='2466100']
norse, it would be different if you were a 70+ year old gramma type who said what you said. they can pretty much get away with that. (okay, with a lot of comments that other people can't get away with. lol) don't you see how people would be a little perturbed having your comment come from an older, single, never married, male? instead of coming out as helpful or admonishing, it comes off as creepy and/or judgmental, though that is not your intent.

isn't a rule of evangelizing, know your audience?
[/quote]

I actually don't comment at all on the situation unless it is someone I know, hence the reason I prefixed my original remark with "The most I could do".

But the fact that I am an older never married male with no kids out of wedlock (and not by relying on abortion or contraceptives) shows I must have done SOMETHING right somewhere in my life...

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344703388' post='2466106']I actually don't comment at all on the situation unless it is someone I know, hence the reason I prefixed my original remark with "The most I could do".[/quote]
okay.

for some reason, i think this goes here:

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/185920_10151110120681509_976233474_n.jpg[/img]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1344522157' post='2464994']
A 15-year-old I know now has a 6-month-old baby. I wasn't around when she announced her pregnancy, but saw her towards the end. I don't think I said congratulations, but offered whatever support I could, and have continued to offer that support. She's matured a lot since giving birth. She still has a ways to go - she's only 15, after all - but she's trying at least. So, "congratulations"? I don't know, but I do think that being positive with her when she chose to embrace motherhood is a good thing, even if the circumstances haven't been the best.
[/quote]

Pregnant at fifteen? Ahh, that's just a scary thought. I know I wouldn't want to be a father at fifteen. My tip of the hat to her for not having the abortion, but I can't help but wonder where the father is?

Bottom line, I think it's best to point out and help to make the best of the mess we all find ourselves in.

Norse, I could make a comment and provide common sense advice on how a lack of empathy, tact, and charity, may leave you a sad and lonely single male. Unfortunately I'm too much of an ass to be that thoughtful...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344705063' post='2466120']

Pregnant at fifteen? Ahh, that's just a scary thought. I know I wouldn't want to be a father at fifteen. My tip of the hat to her for not having the abortion, but I can't help but wonder where the father is?
[/quote]I can't imagine becoming a mother at that age, either. As for the father, well, he's younger than she is. Both could use prayers, please.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1344706416' post='2466125']
Norse, I could make a comment and provide common sense advice on how a lack of empathy, tact, and charity, may leave you a sad and lonely single male. [/quote]

The other way around would be more accurate.

AccountDeleted

The important thing in all of this is that she is not having an abortion. One of my sisters got pregnant at 15 (and no she never married the father either) but she had the baby, a beautiful boy who brightened all of our lives and was incorporated into our family, almost as one of the siblings. That 'baby' is now in his forties, married, and has a gorgeous son of his own. No matter the sin involved, all life is beautiful. I don't condone the sin of unmarried pregnancy but applaud the courage not to treat the baby as if it were just an inconvenience that can be avoided through the even greater sin of abortion.

I think whenever we are dealing with unwed mothers, we can let them know that although we might not approve of what they have done to get into this situation, we certainly do approve of what they have done when faced with the consequences. No amount of chastising or criticising them is going to change what has happened, but to show compassion by supporting and encouraging them once the deed is already done, may help them to face their challenges for the future.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344707614' post='2466128']

The other way around would be more accurate.
[/quote]I apologize for my hurtful remark. I was trying to make a point. My wife was born outside of a marriage, but grew up with her parents being married for more than fifty years now. They (and) she were helped by not having the mistake of premarital sex being thrown in their face, but by being encouraged to consider the welfare of their child as more important than what others believe they should do to hide the shame of their mistake in the late 1950s. I can only aspire to be as honorable, kind, responsible, loving, and generous as her sexually promiscuous parents, and am thankful and appreciative of the wonderful mistake they raised.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344698501' post='2466041']
And what is that supposed to mean? Tell me in person the next time you are in Chitown, preferably at the gym.
[/quote]
The simmering homoeroticism contained in this message is nearly too much to stand.