An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teenage Pregnancy.

Spem in alium

And she would appreciate you bringing that to her attention, as she really would never had deduced that on her own.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1344567163' post='2465360']
And she would appreciate you bringing that to her attention, as she really would never had deduced that on her own.
[/quote]:notworthy:

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344561171' post='2465295']
Same here. The most I could do would be to offer "best wishes" for the baby and then qualify it with "I wish it were under different circumstances".
[/quote]

Yeah because that's not rude or judgemental at all. A baby is a blessing and a gift from God, no matter the circumstances.

If we want to discourage unmarried women from having abortions we need to be kind, loving and supportive - not judgmental. To a confused, scared teenager, loving support could make all the difference between them deciding to have an abortion or not.

AccountDeleted

I would just say something like 'It is going to be very tough for you. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.'

In the Catholic Diocese where I live, Project Rachel that counsels women who had an abortion is much more publicized and available then their ministry for women who are pregnant. Found that out when I was a youth group leader and wanted to do service projects and fund raisers. It was shockingly sad.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

mojo without the superstition, yahweh iz not your vizshon if your playing god behind the line, he and we a mystery and dats how you know GOD through christ either you hiz enemy or hiz wife.

:Edit: p.s. this iz aimed at those whom act like they know GOD and can't understand mercy and justice co exist.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1344567163' post='2465360']
[/quote]
[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1344567346' post='2465363']
:notworthy:
[/quote]
[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1344584727' post='2465434']
Yeah because that's not rude or judgemental at all. A baby is a blessing and a gift from God, no matter the circumstances.

If we want to discourage unmarried women from having abortions we need to be kind, loving and supportive - not judgmental. To a confused, scared teenager, loving support could make all the difference between them deciding to have an abortion or not.
[/quote]

Oh really? And how has that been working out the past 20+ years with the ever-increasing out-of-wedlock pregnancy rate?

Spem in alium

Thanks everyone for your replies. She's 20 (and not technically a "teenager", but young enough). She is 3 months pregnant. She sounded really happy about the pregnancy and seems excited to be a mother. I wanted to make sure of that before I congratulated her. It will undoubtedly be difficult for her, and it's evident that she has the support of the child's father and his family. As to how her own family feels, I am unsure.

The greatest support I can give her is prayer, and I'm going to pray hard.

Another girl who was in my year at school fell pregnant in our final year. She is in a relationship with the child's father, and their daughter is almost three. Having a child would be such a life-changing thing, and I suppose even more so for a young person who has an unplanned pregnancy. Unfortunately from what I can tell, even though this girl has a toddler she is still quite immature. Young, unmarried mothers really do need prayer and guidance, even though we may disagree with the situations they fall into or the decisions they make.

Edited by Spem in alium

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344647393' post='2465834']
Oh really? And how has that been working out the past 20+ years with the ever-increasing out-of-wedlock pregnancy rate?
[/quote]

Being a judgmental arse does little to help that. Affirming that the baby is a blessing and supporting the mother are ways to try and help a woman choose life. In no way does supporting the pregnancy condone premarital sex.

Edited by Amppax

Archaeology cat

Yes, they most certainly need prayers. Being a mum is hard even when married and older than a teen. While obviously not ideal for a woman to get pregnant out of wedlock, especially as a teen, they do need our prayers (as do all mums) and help/support.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344649401' post='2465842']
Being a judgmental arse does little to help that. Affirming that the baby is a blessing and supporting the mother are ways to try and help a woman choose life. In no way does supporting the pregnancy condone premarital sex.
[/quote]

First of all, watch your language, kid. I'm old enough to be your dad and still in good enough shape to go a few rounds with you in the ring and send you flying through the ropes (and trust me, I have).

Second, admonishing the sinner is not being judgmental, it is one of the spiritual works of mercy. It may help prevent a repeat occurrence and may serve as a notice to others to not repeat the same action.

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1344648343' post='2465837']
Thanks everyone for your replies. She's 20 (and not technically a "teenager", but young enough). She is 3 months pregnant. She sounded really happy about the pregnancy and seems excited to be a mother. I wanted to make sure of that before I congratulated her. It will undoubtedly be difficult for her, and it's evident that she has the support of the child's father and his family. As to how her own family feels, I am unsure.

The greatest support I can give her is prayer, and I'm going to pray hard.

Another girl who was in my year at school fell pregnant in our final year. She is in a relationship with the child's father, and their daughter is almost three. Having a child would be such a life-changing thing, and I suppose even more so for a young person who has an unplanned pregnancy. Unfortunately from what I can tell, even though this girl has a toddler she is still quite immature. Young, unmarried mothers really do need prayer and guidance, even though we may disagree with the situations they fall into or the decisions they make.
[/quote]

So, are they planning on getting married to the fathers?

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344650765' post='2465851']
First of all, watch your language, kid. I'm old enough to be your dad and still in good enough shape to go a few rounds with you in the ring and send you flying through the ropes (and trust me, I have).
[/quote]

[img]http://realdoctorstu.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/woman-scared.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1344647393' post='2465834']

[/quote]

You mean how has being supportive helped prevent abortions?
I've seen it quite successful.
Care to assist me, and see what happens on a large scale?

Now, as for out of wedlock pregnancy....that is not for lack of admonishment. It is for lack of education. Frowning upon unwed relationships is only going to alienate young people. They honestly don't understand what you are frowning about. They don't know what marriage *is*. Don't tell them what it isn't; tell them what it is. Don't tell them what they shouldn't do or have or be. Rather, tell them what they can have, and do, and be. Make them want to be holy, not just want to avoid punishment from you.