An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Young Professionals Who Entered The Convent Or Seminary

HopefulBride

HopefulBride

OK so as my PM pham knows I've been journeying toward entrance for over two years now and it looks like I will be entering this year. I'm still working with Mother on getting my date set, the community has been absolutely wonderful in working with me to allow me to enter at a different date and also give me the opportunity to discern with them first hand.

On to my question, I've been working in Higher Education since 2003 and have pretty much made a career out of it (I would have probably consciously taken steps to move up if I wasn't discerning) I gave my boss notice about two weeks ago and as of September 28th I will be jobless (yikes!!!!) I know I will be entering this year and should the Lord show me otherwise I will gladly brave the job market. The problem I am having now is dealing with this sudden moments of panic when I realize that I have nothing.

Detachment has always been the thing I worry about but my job is the one thing I was good at and I am finding that I am having a real hard time letting go of it. In fact, I'm feeling the wind knocked out of me just as I write this and contemplate what I'm doing.

Anybody here left or is leaving a career to enter? I know I should trust Him and I do but wow I didn't know that my excitement would turn into something so close to terror! I know I need to pray and ask Our Lord to help but how do I make the light-headedness stop? I am literally getting light-headed as I type this and think about the fact that I am JOBLESS!!!

Oh HB, I am praying for you. That is a very terrifying feeling! The Lord must be extremely pleased with you right now..doing His will in the area of detachment even though it is hard for you.

To answer your question, no I have not left a successful career. I respect those who have established themselves in the world so much, only to leave it all for God. For many young college-age discerners like me, the most you have to give up are your hopes and dreams for your careers...but to actually give up a tangible career is probably far more difficult than giving up an imagined and hoped-for future career.

In This House of Brede contrasted leaving behind a successful career and well established life in general with entering the convent at a young age and leaving very few tangible things behind.

I just finished my first year at college, and felt 'the call' three weeks into school. By the end of the school year I knew I was not supposed to complete my degree, but I did not have a backup. Thankfully, my parents are completely covering me financially, so I could go home to them, but God had not yet revealed to me what community I was called to. That leap of faith was incredibly difficult, but it would have been even more difficult to stay wrapped up in my security blanket (college) waiting on explicit instructions from God. He has taken complete care of me, and He will take better care of you, because you are giving up far more than I did when I left school.

God will reward your faith, and He is always watching over you. When my little sister gets upset about driving on a dangerous road or flying, my mom says, "God is watching with special care over the future nun in our family. He won't let anything happen to her before she enters!" Obviously, this is not full proof, but God is taking special care to watch over you as you prepare to enter.

Also, my mom wanted to donate to your fund (no money of my own, remember?), and she was wondering if you were affiliated with a Catholic fundraising organization that she could give the money to, and they would give it to you. My family is wary of the whole 'PM' pham thing.

Edited by emmaberry

I have left my career twice and returned twice, and actually had the blessing of returning to the same company.

My one word of advice is to TRUST. Never in a million years did I imagine returning to the same place of work. But when I needed it the most God has been there and has provided for my every need.

Finally do not burn any bridges because you never know where God may lead.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1344221004' post='2463273']
Anybody here left or is leaving a career to enter? ..... I am literally getting light-headed as I type this and think about the fact that I am JOBLESS!!!
[/quote]

I did.
It was such and "impossible" thing for me to do that even though I felt the call for a long time I just couldn't give up a successful carrier, financial means, friends ... you name it.

This was for me the second time I entered religious life. Ultimately I received the grace to give up everything and to enter contemplative life again. But have to say that it was not that "I" did it, rather, I "received the gift" of giving everything up. That's very clear in my heart and my memory.
EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH GOD!

It was not easy,though. After I was accepted to enter I had to dispose of things and sell my apartment -which didn't happen for months. I was in a different continent and couldn't leave "pending business" behind to enter this Order. During those months after I actually had left my job, Providence literally worked miracles to take care of my needs.

Looking back on my experience I would picture you at this time as someone who -like the man in the Gospel- has already taken hold of the plow. Looking back is suicidal because we are no longer in the same world, and our life is no longer ruled by worldly values. Faith and Prayer are now the means to move forward, and a necessary discipline is not to listen to that voice of defeat and control that wants the job back. That's not the voice that seeks our best!

This jump in faith is a huge preparation for everything that lies ahead. Don't be afraid, you know WHO you are trusting. God bless you. My prayer is with you,
Orans

Lilllabettt

This is something that worries me very much. I think it may be the thing that prevents me from ever trying religious life again.

It's hard. At any age, its hard. You think - why not try, if it didn't work out it would be a couple years. Maybe a few years. What's a couple years in a lifetime?

But for the young ones - a lot of stuff happens in your twenties. There's a lot packed in there. Coming out at 23, most people my age had college degrees, first "real jobs," were starting families. It was difficult to start over having "missed" all that the first 'go round.

And for the older ones - there is everything you've built that you have to leave behind. And I think that just gets worse as you go on. Do I really have the guts to do this, and give up all these remarkable opportunities, for something that, in reality, can evaporate at a moment's notice.

I admire all of you that have had the courage to do it - at any age. If you can make that offering to God with a willing heart you are well on your way to sanctity.

HopefulBride

Thanks for the prayers and the words of encouragement. I am starting to feel normal; for a moment I thought that I was alone but I see that it's definitely not the case.

Emma, I have a page on the Razoo foundation website that your mom can donate to. The funds donated go to the sisters in care of me. Go to www.razoo.com and type in Dyna's vocation and it will take you there. I also have a Facebook page that links to my blog and Razoo page. The Facebook page is also called Dyna's vocation.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Edited by HopefulBride

[quote name='Orans' timestamp='1344227661' post='2463322']
Looking back on my experience I would picture you at this time as someone who -like the man in the Gospel- has already taken hold of the plow. Looking back is suicidal because we are no longer in the same world, and our life is no longer ruled by worldly values. Faith and Prayer are now the means to move forward, and a necessary discipline is not to listen to that voice of defeat and control that wants the job back. That's not the voice that seeks our best!
[/quote]

This is great!

To Jesus Through Mary

When I first became a missionary in NYC I had to obviously quit my job in Kansas. I come from a family where work ethic is the most highly praised virtue. I lived this out very much. I worked my way up from the processing room to being a payroll tax analyst. I was in my mid-20s at the time and was moving my way up the corporate ladder. Both bosses and clients loved me. Then the moment came when I gave 30 days notice. I was so excited, then I walked out of my bosses office and I was like a delirious woman "I really just quit my job. And I don't have another job. I am unemployed!" It went against every bit of my nature.

Over the next few weeks the owner of the company and my bosses tried to talk me out of it, or sweeten the deal at the company. Nothing over the top, but definitely making a path for me to stay. But I proceeded forward. My boyfriend at the time and I packed up my apartment. I gave him basically all of my furniture. I got rid of 6 big black trash bags of clothes (I didn't even know I had that many), got rid of all of my prized kitchen stuff, and I sold my car. The morning came for me to leave, I rented a car, threw the bit I was keeping (which was a lot really compared to when I entered the convent), kissed my exboyfriend goodbye, and drove away. I left behind me my career, boyfriend who I dearly loved, family, friends, apartment, car, etc to make this crazy move to live in the Bronx! There were many times I doubted my sanity. I have always been super responsible and here I was just "throwing it all away" to go be a missionary???

God provided so much strength and grace. The bottom line I kept reminding myself of that empty feeling when I looked out my office window asking myself if there was more. I reminded myself of clearly he had called me. I read the Gospel passages that talk of the price of discipleship. I prayed. I cried. But then I allowed myself to just be excited even though it didn't make any sense. It took me 2 days to drive from Kansas to the Bronx and it was such a beautiful time for the Lord and I. These moments would never have come if I didn't abandon myself into his hands. So that is the reason I tell you my story. To encourage you. A career is nothing but ash in the end. Our heavenly Father has called you and he is going to take care of you. He promises it and there is no deceit in him. I really understand that pit feeling of being jobless. My suggestion, turn it into a prayer. Each time make an act of abandonment. Then this fear can be turned into the sweetest delights from heaven of intimacy and love between you and the Father. :)

I hope this is helpful, I have rambled on more then I intended. I will be praying for you.

AMDG!!
TJTM

HopefulBride

Thanks for sharing your story, it's funny but I've been doing everything gradually over the last couple of years, I sold my car right after getting my letter of acceptance and did a major overhaul and simplified my wardrobe, not to change it but to minimize. I still kept my favorite heels and flats but a lot of stuff went away and I committed to not buying one single piece of clothing unless it was related to entrance.

I think it's just that me leaving my job is suddenly the last piece that's making all of this real and it's forcing me to let go. In a way I am appreciative because I am seeing how much I needed to do this but in another way I am just soooo terrified, not because I am questioning the decision but because I don't know what's ahead and I'm realizing how much I have to trust the Lord and abandon myself to him, something I have always struggled with. Always.

Thank you everyone for all of the prayers, they are really appreciated. I am hoping to hear back from Washington sometime this week and to get my final date in. Mother put a date out there but there is a different date that I'm hoping to enter, in the end it is of course her decision. I will be sure to keep you guys updated.

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1344252114' post='2463395']
When I first became a missionary in NYC I had to obviously quit my job in Kansas. I come from a family where work ethic is the most highly praised virtue. I lived this out very much. I worked my way up from the processing room to being a payroll tax analyst. I was in my mid-20s at the time and was moving my way up the corporate ladder. Both bosses and clients loved me. Then the moment came when I gave 30 days notice. I was so excited, then I walked out of my bosses office and I was like a delirious woman "I really just quit my job. And I don't have another job. I am unemployed!" It went against every bit of my nature.

Over the next few weeks the owner of the company and my bosses tried to talk me out of it, or sweeten the deal at the company. Nothing over the top, but definitely making a path for me to stay. But I proceeded forward. My boyfriend at the time and I packed up my apartment. I gave him basically all of my furniture. I got rid of 6 big black trash bags of clothes (I didn't even know I had that many), got rid of all of my prized kitchen stuff, and I sold my car. The morning came for me to leave, I rented a car, threw the bit I was keeping (which was a lot really compared to when I entered the convent), kissed my exboyfriend goodbye, and drove away. I left behind me my career, boyfriend who I dearly loved, family, friends, apartment, car, etc to make this crazy move to live in the Bronx! There were many times I doubted my sanity. I have always been super responsible and here I was just "throwing it all away" to go be a missionary???

God provided so much strength and grace. The bottom line I kept reminding myself of that empty feeling when I looked out my office window asking myself if there was more. I reminded myself of clearly he had called me. I read the Gospel passages that talk of the price of discipleship. I prayed. I cried. But then I allowed myself to just be excited even though it didn't make any sense. It took me 2 days to drive from Kansas to the Bronx and it was such a beautiful time for the Lord and I. These moments would never have come if I didn't abandon myself into his hands. So that is the reason I tell you my story. To encourage you. A career is nothing but ash in the end. Our heavenly Father has called you and he is going to take care of you. He promises it and there is no deceit in him. I really understand that pit feeling of being jobless. My suggestion, turn it into a prayer. Each time make an act of abandonment. Then this fear can be turned into the sweetest delights from heaven of intimacy and love between you and the Father. :)

I hope this is helpful, I have rambled on more then I intended. I will be praying for you.

AMDG!!
TJTM
[/quote]

may I ask you, if you don't mind, if you entered a missionary order or did you do volunteering as a lay missionary?
Also, are you still in mission?
Thanks!

filius_angelorum

It is completely normal to have these kinds of fears, and perhaps the more we have those fears the more of a cross God is giving us to embrace. And what is better than the cross?

I left a job to discern at the Oratory--not a very successful one, mind you, just an impoverished teacher salary, but it was a living. Now I am returning to that position, but I do not know what the future holds.

The thing is that the more you leave certainty and put yourself at the disposal of Providence, the more that fear is overcome with love. "My yoke is easy and my burden, light." At least, that is what I have felt. God will take care of us.

HopefulBride

Someone told me that I was committing "career suicide" by leaving my job but I have prayed and prayed and agonized and up to the very minute I turned in the letter I re-re-reconsidered the choice I was making and realized that as much as I am open to dating and would embrace having a family of my own, I can't get rid of this desire for the RL. The Lord may very well show me a different path to holiness but I strongly feel that right now the SMMCs is where He is calling me to grow closer to Him.

My chest is tight again (first day back at work from vacation) so please pray for me that I don't do something stupid like tell my boss I'm staying.

maximillion

I left a career in nursing. I had the Gold Medal in my exams and the Principal Nurse already had a ward mapped out for me to become sister ( Head Nurse ). I had plans to become a different kind of Sister.......
I was already an S/RN and was well paid. Nothing would have been easier than to stay put and dedicate myself to my patients - a noble cause I was told. I was even advised not to 'throw away' my nurse training and gift, but to use it in an active order instead of going in to the cloister.

It is hard to go against the tide of modern ideology, of the go-get society, of the new religion of acquisition and wealth. It was hard for me back then, and I imagine a bit harder for people today. Others have said it, trust in Him, He has you in the palm of His Hand.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='organwerke' timestamp='1344263531' post='2463427']
may I ask you, if you don't mind, if you entered a missionary order or did you do volunteering as a lay missionary?
Also, are you still in mission?
Thanks!
[/quote]

It is with a lay Catholic organization- cannonical so we are able to live with the Blessed Sacrament, which is a gift beyond compare.. I left them for a while when I entered the convent (Servants of the Lord) but I left the convent a few months ago so I actually returned back to them. So I am back in the Bronx. :)

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1344258867' post='2463407']

I think it's just that me leaving my job is suddenly the last piece that's making all of this real and it's forcing me to let go. In a way I am appreciative because I am seeing how much I needed to do this but in another way I am just soooo terrified, not because I am questioning the decision but because I don't know what's ahead and I'm realizing how much I have to trust the Lord and abandon myself to him, something I have always struggled with. Always.
[/quote]

I feel ya. Something I still struggle with, especially lately! But if any of us really practice this, we would be saints. :)