An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mac Vs Pc

macguy4143

i<3franciscans

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2D1ig4df4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2D1ig4df4[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1340591096' post='2448510']
I'm on my second PC laptop. First one was an HP, and the motherboard burned out. Had it replaced as the laptop was 2 years old, although I had to pay for it as it was out of warranty. Second motherboard lasted like 2 months. Then I got a Lenovo Ideapad. Bad idea. It's hard to find parts as one of the hinges broke and it was way more expensive to fix then it should have been. Also one of the two gpu's burned out in the second year. It get by with the remaining gpu, but I'm quite annoyed at what I've spent on repairs so far in 2 years and being stuck with less hardware.

PC's Forever as a desktop, but next time I'm in the market for a laptop, I'm going to seriously consider a macbook pro. I need my laptops to last more than 2 years. :|
[/quote]
[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340636327' post='2448653']
I was at Best Buy the other day and noticed that there is a selection of perfectly fine Win7 laptop for under $400. (Intel core i3, 4 GB RAM, <500 GB HD, 15.6"+ displays.) I saw one laptop with an AMD processor for $300, brand new. The MacBooks seemed to start at a thousand dollars above this. Yes, I know they're better, but my point is that there is a huge space that is only occupied by PC laptops.
[/quote]

Exactly... if I can get my $400 laptop to last 1 year, then over 4 years time I can buy one every year for the same cost of my Macbook with 3 year applecare protection and a ram upgrade. By year 2 or 3 the new laptop I buy will be faster than the macbook too...

The cost is the HUGE throw off for me of macbooks. When I bought my macbook as a senior in college it was a pretty good choice for me, although I wish I skimped on the 3 year applecare and didn't get the ram upgrade. The battery life that is smell of elderberriesed out of a PC through Windows Vista and Windows XP was just not long enough compared to the Macbooks... I needed a long battery life for a full day of note taking. Now Windows 7 can support long battery life if you buy a PC designed for it (no 17" high powered screen bro!).

LouisvilleFan

Being on a budget doesn't mean you can't afford a Mac. Apple's online store sells refurb Macs with the same warranty options as new Macs for 20-25% less than retail. The selection is usually limited, so it's worth checking back over a few weeks to see what becomes available. They don't sell below the $800 price point (except the Mac mini) but you can search around for other reputable Mac re-sellers. If your budget is sub-$1,000, you obviously don't need a new computer anyway. It's all the more reason to buy a quality product in the aftermarket than throwing your money away on those cheaply-built budget PCs.

There are quality PC manufacturers too. Sony seems to be top of the line and my impression is Toshiba is a good brand too. It's worth looking into a well built used model first. You'll probably have fewer headaches in the long run.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1342282224' post='2455622']
Being on a budget doesn't mean you can't afford a Mac. Apple's online store sells refurb Macs with the same warranty options as new Macs for 20-25% less than retail. The selection is usually limited, so it's worth checking back over a few weeks to see what becomes available. They don't sell below the $800 price point (except the Mac mini) but you can search around for other reputable Mac re-sellers. If your budget is sub-$1,000, you obviously don't need a new computer anyway. It's all the more reason to buy a quality product in the aftermarket than throwing your money away on those cheaply-built budget PCs.
[/quote]

you seem a bit out of touch, especially with that last bit about not needing a computer. that is like saying if you cant spend 10,000 on a car, then you obviously dont need a new car anyway.
Especially since in the 400-1000$ price range there are a bunch of excellent options for computers, that run everything you need it to, have all the accessories needed, and have good build quality that will last years. Especially since those computers in those price ranges outperform macs that cost 2-4 times as much, it really makes it weird that you talk down at those options and people who buy them. Many of these laptops will even play a lot of modern games(my 700 dollar laptop outdoes console games).

And that is only for laptops. If you get into desktop computers you can easily build a very powerful gaming computer under 1000 dollars.

fides' Jack

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1342306461' post='2455688']
Toshiba.
[/quote]

So PC. Got it. Okay.

Er... my $400 laptop runs HD video, can run Skyrim and D3 if I wanted, can run microsoft office, quickbooks, internet, has 500gb hard drive, 4gb ram (could upgrade to 6 or 8 if I really felt the need...), and has an Intel i3 2nd gen processor, with a 15-17" monitor (don't remember which). A similar refurbished mac would run about $750.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1342487213' post='2456234']
Er... my $400 laptop runs HD video, can run Skyrim and D3 if I wanted, can run microsoft office, quickbooks, internet, has 500gb hard drive, 4gb ram (could upgrade to 6 or 8 if I really felt the need...), and has an Intel i3 2nd gen processor, with a 15-17" monitor (don't remember which). A similar refurbished mac would run about $750.
[/quote]

i know you're jealous. it's ok to admit it.

[quote name='rachael' timestamp='1343046661' post='2458078']
i know you're jealous. it's ok to admit it.
[/quote]

I own a mac too :harhar:

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1342282224' post='2455622']
If your budget is sub-$1,000, you obviously don't need a new computer anyway.
[/quote]

Huh?