An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mac Vs Pc

macguy4143

fides' Jack

Seriously - everyone I know who has a Mac has just as much trouble with it as the PC owners do. The only difference is that there are more PC owners that you hear complain.

It's like the old myth that Linux is more secure than Windows - it's not. It's just not attacked as much. A port open on Linux is just as insecure as a port open on Windows.

Mac !> PC

Update: This is especially true now that Macs and PCs use the same intel CPUs.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340636802' post='2448654']
That doesn't sound normal. I have a laptop that I acquired in 1998 that still boots up (Windows 98) and more or less works.
[/quote]

Laptops before roughly 2004 seem to be durable and built to last. However PC quality manufacturing of laptops from 2005 seems to go down the tubes.

Part of this may be with the difficulty of handling high graphic and computation quality while dissipating all the heat from it in a small enclosed space as opposed to a desktop where heat control is much easier.

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wrEqeM9eNuQ/Tt63H_taF5I/AAAAAAAAABQ/0LZ1gGzioQY/s1600/37340684_PC__Mac_Vs_Linux.jpg[/img]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1340668728' post='2448844']
Everything [s]Laptops[/s] before roughly 2004 seem to be durable and built to last.
[/quote]

Fixed it.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1340668728' post='2448844']
Laptops before roughly 2004 seem to be durable and built to last. However PC quality manufacturing of laptops from 2005 seems to go down the tubes.

Part of this may be with the difficulty of handling high graphic and computation quality while dissipating all the heat from it in a small enclosed space as opposed to a desktop where heat control is much easier.
[/quote]
Is this speculation based on your personal experience or are you sharing substantiated claims? Just curious. I have anecdotal reasons for being skeptical anyway.

fides' Jack

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340728896' post='2449079']
Is this speculation based on your personal experience or are you sharing substantiated claims? Just curious. I have anecdotal reasons for being skeptical anyway.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think that statement has any validity. My laptop (the one I mentioned above) was a P4 - and got HOT - hotter than most laptops today. Processors now are much faster - and run much c00ler. Of course, there are some exceptions, and the faster a CPU is, in general the hotter it gets, but the push to have more cores (rather than just higher and higher speed) substantially decreased the average heat output of processors.

Edit: (stupid fiddler...)

Edited by fides' Jack

Laudate_Dominum

Yeah, the Windows 98 laptop I mentioned is much hotter than my Windows 7 laptop. I can hardly keep it in my lap for too long. I actually consider it to be a small miracle that it boots up at all. Basically every broken laptop that I've had failed because of serious trauma. On the other hand, I've had two desktop computers in recent years which ended up with inexplicably fried motherboards. Of course my personal experience is far too small a sample to draw any general conclusions. I am curious to know what kind of research is out there.

xTrishaxLynnx

My old laptop... probably from somewhere around 2002-3 used to stay cool even when I didn't use a c[i]oo[/i]ling mat. The Compaq I bought less than two years ago fried itself even while propped up and on an even bigger and supposedly better c[i]oo[/i]ling mat.. I eventually moved it onto an actual box fan just to get it to run at all, but it still ran horribly slowly and it would shut itself down randomly as a result of overheating.

Edit: Somehow the philter missed the first time I used the word "cool" but not the others. :think2:

Edited by xTrishaxLynnx

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340728896' post='2449079']
[/quote]

Substantiated claims. Did a study over two samples. The plus or minus accuracy is a bit high though. :|

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340730957' post='2449090']
....Of course my personal experience is far too small a sample to draw any general conclusions...
[/quote]

Mine isn't. It's scientific fact. Coincidentally the same research says Dewey beat Truman, but I'm going to selectively ignore that. I have an agenda to push......and no facts will stop me! :mafia:

You sure that 98' laptop is all clean inside and gets plenty of circulation when running?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1340733442' post='2449111']
Substantiated claims. Did a study over two samples. The plus or minus accuracy is a bit high though. :|

Mine isn't. It's scientific fact. Coincidentally the same research says Dewey beat Truman, but I'm going to selectively ignore that. I have an agenda to push......and no facts will stop me! :mafia:

You sure that 98' laptop is all clean inside and gets plenty of circulation when running?
[/quote]
Lawlz. Come on man, serious cat is serious. This is teh interwebs.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1340049780' post='2445936']
I didn't say that is what you said. I said Starbucks smells of elderberries so your analogy is flawed.
[/quote]

actually it isnt, if you consider how flawed and terrible Apple actually is.