An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mac Vs Pc

macguy4143

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1340104223' post='2446218']
[img]http://oldcomputers.net/pics/C64combo.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I actually have one of these and a VIC-20.

As for the actual "debate" I would say it really doesn't matter anymore. Most modern computers can be made to run or emulate most operating systems. But unless one makes his own computer I believe Macs win, as they are better built than most other computers on the market and it's easier to get it to run Windows and Unix flavors than it is to get a PC to do the reverse.

Macs have pretty good options on '[url="http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/games/35-hardcore-games-for-hardcore-mac-gamers/"]hardcore[/url]' games these days, not all of them, but who cares that's why a PS3 and Xbox exist.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1340154421' post='2446511']
Macs!
[/quote]because money doesn't burn itself!!!

Ash Wednesday

I say "to each their own" when it comes to computers. A lot of artists like me prefer the mac. My husband works in information technology and prefers the flexibility of Linux and the like. Some people don't want to spend the extra money on a Mac and like their no-frills PC just fine for knocking about the internet and checking their email. It really depends on your needs and how you plan on using the machine.

PilgrimageOfGrace

I dislike Mac's marketing as somehow the "obvious better choice" when anyone who has seen the inside of a Mac can tell you they use generic (and often cheap) parts in their Macbooks/Macbook Pro - granted their OS is very stable and nearly impervious to malware/viruses ...they quite literally charge 50%+ more than their Windows run equivalent.

[closing eyes and waiting to be thrown with something :paperbag: ]

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1340240829' post='2446896']
if i can buy i macbook on a TA salary..... :P
[/quote]

Trust me, your university pays more for a TA salary than mine, easily. :P

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1340240829' post='2446896']
if i can buy i macbook on a TA salary..... :P
[/quote]

Then something ain't right.

Vincent Vega

I've always been a PC man, but after sinking money into PC laptop after PC laptop which only lasted a couple of years a piece due to manufacturing defects and no accountability from their respective companies, I decided that, for just a little more, I could buy a gently used mac with a couple years of AppleCare (which, I understand, is very impressive) and have (hopefully) less money invested per year of use.
My new(ish) macbook pro is currently on the way. I'll be interested to see whether it holds up better than the HPs, Dells, and Acers I've had over the past decade or so.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1340499847' post='2448103']
I've always been a PC man, but after sinking money into PC laptop after PC laptop which only lasted a couple of years a piece due to manufacturing defects and no accountability from their respective companies, I decided that, for just a little more, I could buy a gently used mac with a couple years of AppleCare (which, I understand, is very impressive) and have (hopefully) less money invested per year of use.
My new(ish) macbook pro is currently on the way. I'll be interested to see whether it holds up better than the HPs, Dells, and Acers I've had over the past decade or so.
[/quote]

I'm on my second PC laptop. First one was an HP, and the motherboard burned out. Had it replaced as the laptop was 2 years old, although I had to pay for it as it was out of warranty. Second motherboard lasted like 2 months. Then I got a Lenovo Ideapad. Bad idea. It's hard to find parts as one of the hinges broke and it was way more expensive to fix then it should have been. Also one of the two gpu's burned out in the second year. It get by with the remaining gpu, but I'm quite annoyed at what I've spent on repairs so far in 2 years and being stuck with less hardware.

PC's Forever as a desktop, but next time I'm in the market for a laptop, I'm going to seriously consider a macbook pro. I need my laptops to last more than 2 years. :|

fides' Jack

I had a Toshiba laptop that lasted me 10 years. (I then gave it to my little bros, who are still using it regularly).

Laudate_Dominum

I was at Best Buy the other day and noticed that there is a selection of perfectly fine Win7 laptop for under $400. (Intel core i3, 4 GB RAM, <500 GB HD, 15.6"+ displays.) I saw one laptop with an AMD processor for $300, brand new. The MacBooks seemed to start at a thousand dollars above this. Yes, I know they're better, but my point is that there is a huge space that is only occupied by PC laptops.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1340591096' post='2448510']
I'm on my second PC laptop. First one was an HP, and the motherboard burned out. Had it replaced as the laptop was 2 years old, although I had to pay for it as it was out of warranty. Second motherboard lasted like 2 months. Then I got a Lenovo Ideapad. Bad idea. It's hard to find parts as one of the hinges broke and it was way more expensive to fix then it should have been. Also one of the two gpu's burned out in the second year. It get by with the remaining gpu, but I'm quite annoyed at what I've spent on repairs so far in 2 years and being stuck with less hardware.

PC's Forever as a desktop, but next time I'm in the market for a laptop, I'm going to seriously consider a macbook pro. I need my laptops to last more than 2 years. :|
[/quote]
That doesn't sound normal. I have a laptop that I acquired in 1998 that still boots up (Windows 98) and more or less works. It has an external dial-up modem (rotflol) and some annoying vertical lines on the display but I've never replaced any of the hardware. Funny story: I actually used it several years ago when a company I worked for back in 1999/2000 called me and wanted some changes to software I wrote back then. I can't believe that they're still running such obsolete software, but hey, they pay pretty good. Indeed, the development tools and software don't really run on more modern computers. Yes, they still have servers running Windows NT or maybe Windows 2000. AAAHHH!!! (Btw, their project was funded by the Air Force and I know for a fact that they have more than enough money to do whatever the hell they want with it so the reasons for this stagnation are not funds. Blows my mind. I should offer to buy them a $400 laptop at Best Buy. Add a few sticks of RAM and it would probably pwn whatever server hosts that system. lulz.)

Laudate_Dominum

In their defense, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Derp. Or rather, "If there ain't no competition and the system basically works, who cares?"