An Old School Catholic Message Board

Burn A CD?Why Not Just Steal One.

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Is burning a CD that you did not purchase stealing?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

There is no difference in burning a CD and stealing a CD...in both situations you obtain the CD by not purchasing it.

Pax et Agape per Mariam, Andy

Dave,

So would I!

I know, Catholicity.com encourages for you to make copies of their tapes and cd's but of course that's different, since it's meant to help build up the kingdom of God.

CreepyCrawler

well you could read the question as just downloading music in general and there are some artists who make music available for downloading/burning without purchase. maybe someone read the question that way?

IcePrincessKRS

Some services where you download music you also have to pay a fee for (like the new version of napster) and you can DL a whole CD, its perfectly legal so in that sense no, its not a sin to burn it on a CD.

(FYI, I didn't vote no.)

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Winchester' date='May 17 2004, 01:36 AM'] Is it stealing to tape a song playing on the radio? [/quote]
If you would sell them yes, but the way it would sound no one would want to by it. haha! :lol: :D

God Bless
Jason

OwNeD_byGoD

ok, so my question is would it still be considered stealing if a friend bought a cd and made you a copy (he isnt charging you)

RandomProddy

[quote name='thywillbedone7' date='May 16 2004, 10:18 PM'] There is no difference in burning a CD and stealing a CD...in both situations you obtain the CD by not purchasing it.

Pax et Agape per Mariam,  Andy [/quote]
I burned a CD of some of the work I was doing for college. According to you I'm breaking the law, despite me buying the CD and all the work on it being from my hands.

May I suggest you get a clue.

Edited by RandomProddy

If you purchase a CD, you are allowed to make a copy of it for your own personal use (in the car, for example) and you are allowed to give those copies to friends as long as you do not charge them.

I see nothing wrong with borrowing a copy of a CD from a friend if my intent is to listen to it for the purpose of deciding whether or not I wish to purchase the CD for myself. If I like the CD, I buy it. If I don't, I am not out the $15 I would have been in buying the CD, and I can give the copy back.

Now, if a person's entire CD collection consisted of copies of CDs, and he or she had no intention of purchasing those CDs, then I'd say a person needs to examine their motives. (For the record, I currently have no copies in my collection.)

I have a friend, for example, who would love to listen to a CD I have. He has four young children, so I am loathe to let him borrow the original CD because I like it and don't want it to get accidentally destroyed.

In this instance, I would have no problem in making a copy and loaning it to my friend in lieu of loaning the original. Is this stealing? I would argue that I am protecting the investment I made in the original.

cmotherofpirl

I burn CD's of music I already own and considering I own more than 200 record albums, I can burn quite a lot.

Please explain the difference beween copying a song off the TV or radio, and copying one my friend sends me over the net? :D