An Old School Catholic Message Board

Analogical Vs. Dialectical Thinking

Katholikos

Katholikos

I posted this on the Q&A, but it remains unanswered. I submit the Q now to our debate table. Maybe some of our "graduate students" can tackle it. I understand this difference in the way Catholics and Protestants think in the abstract, but I'd like to have a clear definition and some concrete examples which will help me explain it to others. Here's the Q:

[i]Please explain the difference in the way Catholics think (analogically) and the way Protestants think (dialectically), with examples of each.[/i]

Thanks, Jay (Likos)

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

[quote]Main Entry: di·a·lec·tic
Pronunciation: "dI-&-'lek-tik
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English dialetik, from Middle French dialetique, from Latin dialectica, from Greek dialektikE, from feminine of dialektikos of conversation, from dialektos
1 : LOGIC 1a(1)
2 a : discussion and reasoning by dialogue as a method of intellectual investigation; specifically : the Socratic techniques of exposing false beliefs and eliciting truth b : the Platonic investigation of the eternal ideas
3 : the logic of fallacy[/quote]

[quote]Main Entry: an·a·log·i·cal
Pronunciation: "a-n&l-'ä-ji-k&l
Variant(s): also an·a·log·ic  /-jik/
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or based on analogy
2 : expressing or implying analogy
- an·a·log·i·cal·ly  /-ji-k(&-)lE/ adverb [/quote]

I am not a scholar or anything but I will give it a try.

-Dialectical-

It appears that a dialectical thinker would not believe something based on what is false. Like if someone was to specifically search for errors in something to use that to determine what to believe.

[b]Protestant example:[/b] Protestants do not believe in many things the Catholic Church teaches. One being Papal Authority. A reason for this is because early in the Church there have been a few Popes who have not lead the best lives. And when Protestants find this out they view this as an area of 'fallacy'. Thus causeing them not to believe in Papal Authority because of what they see as wrong.

-Analogically-
(Right now I can't think of how this is how Catholics think...maybe someone else can...I will try to think about it a while.)

Is that really the difference? I mean, I know Proestants don't think analogicaly, but I'd make the argument that Catholics do think dialectically...

i try to think godly,morally, and lovingly.

but apparently not smartly, because i dont know how to answer this question. i think i'll stick with the above.

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

I am not sure...I would say Catholics don't only think analogicaly...but also dialectically. But i would say when one starts thinking and basing beliefs off of what you know/think to be not true, then you are in trouble...because at one point in time people viewed gravity as 'not true'...but today we know differently. So I would say Catholics not only think analogical but also dialectically. I would say a good balance of both is good. But once again...I am by no means a Church Scholar. (I can't even spell)

Pax et Agape per Mariam, Andy

[quote name='mulls' date='May 16 2004, 06:00 PM'] i try to think godly,morally, and lovingly.

but apparently not smartly, because i dont know how to answer this question. i think i'll stick with the above. [/quote]
how about a "good for you, mulls" and a :group: ?

:wub:

phatcatholic

this may not be what ur looking for likos, but i have noticed in debate w/ some (not all) protestants, that any argument used that is not strictly from scripture is automatically ignored. therefore, they tend to reject arguments from reason, arguments from logic, arguments from theology, and even theological words.

it's quite frustrating.....

of course, this is only speculation, but i would assume that this rejection of other arguments is b/c protestants have had it drilled into their heads that anything and everything outside of the bible is of the devil. its like, truth cannot exist outside the bible. for example, the fact that peter ministered in rome. many protestants will deny that until they are blue in the face just b/c its not explicit in the bible, even though it is a proven historical fact.

i see that, and then i look at the long history of developed theology, and deductive reasoning, and logic behind our faith and i ask myself, "who here is reeeeally taught not to think for themselves?"

if this post is offensive to anyone, please know that is not my intention. i blame it on too much time at the FCFC board.

grrrr..........

pax christi,
phatcatholic

cmotherofpirl

I have discovered in talking with many protestant and non-catholic brothers and sisters that they confine themselves inside a tight little box, they call bible truth, usually defined by their local pastor or congregation. Many of them don't do anything without consulting their pastor and God, as if God is worried what car they will drive etc.
They dismiss logic and reasoning and science, and believe that the world was created 6000 years ago on a Sept afternoon.
They also think the rapture will happen any minute and of course they are all saved.

I am sure there are other christians out there that don't believe this stuff, but I haven't run into any ( except here at PM) in person for a long time.

Most people I know are Catholic or the type described above. I have not met anybody in between, the rest of the people don't bother with God or any church at all.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 23 2004, 10:09 AM'] I have discovered in talking with many protestant and non-catholic brothers and sisters that they confine themselves inside a tight little box, they call bible truth, usually defined by their local pastor or congregation. Many of them don't do anything without consulting their pastor and God, as if God is worried what car they will drive etc.
[/quote]
this seems to be true with my experience too.

I had a hard time understanding Presbyterian faith.

One minute they were claiming praises to the Holy Catholic Church and then the next they were doing their own thing, separate from the CC.

It was confusing, so that's when I decided to study Catholicism...
as well as scripture better.
Thats how I ended up here at Phatmass.

Peace.