An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Singer Has Done The Most To Erode Morals?

DeeDee

Which singer has done the most to erode morals?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose Madonna, but it was very close between her and Eminem. As a former hip-hop head, I listened to a lot of Eminem and other vulgar rap music. Eminem promoted a very dangerous, pessimistic view of the World. His albums were selling 10 million+ (the newest didn't do quite as well), so it's clear that he could potentially influence a lot of souls. I was once of these until this past summer when I threw away my whole collection and started listening to Mars iLL, among others (sooo nice).

Some lyrics I remember from my days as a fan:
Chorus: "I'm going to hell, who's coming with me?"-really flies in the face of a Divine Creator and gives teens (I know from personal experience) that sort of "who cares what God wants even if he is real, I'm doing what I want" attitude. He was so popular at the time that fans hung on every word he spoke.

"Go to war with the Mormons, take a bath with the Catholics-in holy water no wonder they tried to hold me under longer"-Spiteful of religion, specifically the Catholic Church. He sets himself up as a victim of the Church, and as the persecuted rather than the persecutor. This gives fans a bad impression of the church and a terrible idea of the ways it might try to silence someone like him. He's setting himself up as the leader of a sort of glorified Revolution.

And, of course there are countless other lyrics glorifying drugs, violence, sex and depression. Those are just a few I recall that directly relate to the Church. His potential influence on teenagers especially is amazing.

CreepyCrawler

Yeah, Elvis started the whole sexual gestures allowed in a public arena thiing. Actually, he only opened the door b/c he was in the right place at the right time with the right look and the right voice. If TV wasn't around then, I doubt that he'd have been to blame for the broadcasting of sexuality that became synonymous w/ musical performances. Before at least it was confined to whatever music hall that person was performing in.

I am the most disappointed w/ Madonna, though, b/c she WAS Catholic and she fell so far.... it's such a sad sight. But then maybe it was good that she was a baptized Catholic b/c maybe one day she'll return to the Church of her birth and repent and be happy. I think she's starting the journey back, anyway, I just read a quote that said "i was very selfish" when she first started out during her wild days.

Ash Wednesday

I'm with you creepy!

The thing with Madonna is that it seems like she's still running away from God and running away from something, and very, very deep down, I think she knows it. She claims to have figured things out with Kabbalah, but she still seems very restless and is a workaholic. She has spent almost every album after Ray of Light (basically when she had her first child) with the peculiar disposition of wanting to admit her regrets and mistakes, and giving these odd lectures that "fame and money doesn't matter" and speaks of her disillusionment with the entertainment industry YET she still plays the game. She dresses like a woman who is afraid of growing old and looks more and more ridiculous with every passing year. If she really was disillusioned she'd quit it all together and do something like Audrey Hepburn or other stars that throw themselves into charity. So that is just weird -- though she admits that she's a sick person. Maybe she feels trapped. I think we should keep praying for her. A conversion like hers would be very powerful.

She seems like the type that had this obsession that she's "not religious or necessarily Catholic" but I bet when she's at her deathbed she would call for a priest...

God the Father

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Aug 21 2003, 05:27 AM']
50 Cent
[right][snapback]20695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

"Hey since the moment I was born, I been dyin,
Hundred miles an hour, pulse flyin wit my eye on,
He who fears fate, lives like a coward,
you go against me, you'll be devoured,
That ***** get to poppin',
you'll have a change of heart,
I hit your chest a couple times,
you'll have to change your heart,
have doc usin donors,
dead ****** for spare parts,
Come back with lungs of a snitch and the heart of a dead narc,
****** never see the light till the spark,
then they bleed 'n' get cold,
then s**t get dark, you can call me
the beast from the East,
I run these streets,
You can eat hollow tip shells or you can work for me"

From "Oh No" off of Snoop Dogg's "Rhythm and Gangsta." This particular track was featuring 50 Cent, who raps this passage. I understand it's not exactly moral, but it gets my head bobbing. Maybe I'm a slave to the corporations. Public Enemy is good, if only I could memorize more than two lines of Burn, Hollywood, Burn, I could pretend to be a fan. Biggie was always better than Tupac, although not by much. Tupac once said, I think, "If I keep talkin about how dirty it is out here, somebody's gonna come clean it up!" Maybe not a direct quote, but still. Although I don't think anyone went to clean it up. The worst part about Madonna is she's an annoying human being who thinks she can sing and is a scientologist or something. Lol @ Elrond Hubbard. I haven't been around all that long, was Madonna ever any good? All she says now is:
"Time goes by.............................................................................
.....................................................................so slowly."

Yeah, just like your career. Speed it up. Please. For all of us.

lifescanticle

Madonna certainly has participated greatly in the moral decline, however the climate in the US was ripe for someone to fill the role Madonna did.

could you really pin it on one person?

I think that as a whole certain people step out just a tiny bit, and then a tiny bit more and on. It is the whole thing that is in the err.

Yes he did...

He also consumed fecies left behind on the stage by Alice Coopper once, to win a gross out contest between the two.

The mighty Ozzy won the contest!

• 2 months later...

Hmmm...I'd say Marilyn Manson also deserves a mention.

...though I use to be in much more underground music in which case nearly all the Music had a atheist/satanic/anti-Christian theme...(Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc...)

Music has a much stronger influence on us than we care to think...I use to be a very angry person, until I stopped listeing to the music I realised one day I'm not nearly as angry anymore.

Edited by Peccator

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jan 11 2006, 07:03 AM']Yes he did...

He also consumed fecies left behind on the stage by Alice Coopper once, to win a gross out contest between the two.
The mighty Ozzy won the contest!
[right][snapback]852588[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If I recall, he also once snorted a line of ants walking down the side of the road.

That's gotta hurt

Church Punk

[quote name='Peccator' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:09 AM']Hmmm...I'd say Marilyn Manson also deserves a mention.

...though I use to be in much more underground music in which case nearly all the Music had a atheist/satanic/anti-Christian theme...(Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc...)

Music has a much stronger influence on us than we care to think...I use to be a very angry person, until I stopped listeing to the music I realised one day I'm not nearly as angry anymore.
[right][snapback]926489[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with you here. I used to listen to Marilyn and what not. His CD title says it all Anti Christ Superstar :ohno: But after seeing a lot of interviews with him and what not I kind of get the sense that he is mostly show, and is actually an incrediblly intellegent person. Out of everyone on Bowling for Columbine, Marilyn makes the most sense in his interview by responding to a quesition of what would you say to these boys if they were still around. He responds with nothing, I would listen to them and hear why they are so frustrated. I was amazed.

But I have since stopped listening to it, in my car now I listen to Gregorian Chant, Catholic hip/hop and prot christian rock, what a differance it has made just in my attitude when I come into work!

maybe another question, which singer has done the most to erode the Faith???? Haugen, Haas, the other St. Louis Jezzies