An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Singer Has Done The Most To Erode Morals?

DeeDee

Which singer has done the most to erode morals?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 21 2005, 08:58 AM']I wasn't defending rock and roll, I am stating the obvious about hip-hop / rap.  Rock grew to include the things you say, it didn't start that way like rap did and currently is.
[right][snapback]732509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The rap of what you hear and see on tv and radio is perverse. I don't support it. I listen and support underground artists who push and speak positivity and shall. Hiphop didn't start of this way, it devolved into what it is. But sadly, it is all hiphop. Will I stop being a fan of hiphop because of the promoted hedonistic performers... no. I will support the hiphop heads who knew and remember how it was turn this horse back into a zebra. A genre with well promoted sub-genres, instead of the over saturated nonsense that is on the air waves.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='desertwoman' date='Sep 21 2005, 10:08 AM']The rap of what you hear and see on tv and radio is perverse.  I don't support it.  I listen and support underground artists who push and speak positivity and shall.  Hiphop didn't start of this way, it devolved into what it is.  But sadly, it is all hiphop.  Will I stop being a fan of hiphop because of the promoted hedonistic performers... no.  I will support the hiphop heads who knew and remember how it was turn this horse back into a zebra.  A genre with well promoted sub-genres, instead of the over saturated nonsense that is on the air waves.
[right][snapback]732522[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yo, yo, what-ever, lamey. 'sides, this thread's about dissin' singers. Rapper's can't sing.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 19 2005, 06:18 PM']Can you name any main stream rappers (in the top 20 of gross sales of rap) who do not promote negative attitudes towards society?
[right][snapback]730350[/snapback][/right][/quote]
No I can't. You just made my point by dodging my question. The "hip-hop" you see in the top 20 is not hip-hop at all, but rather glorified, violent pop music.

You comment on hip-hop as if you know what hip-hop is, which you have just made clear that you know nothing about.

Unfortunately, hip-hop has been drastically ripped from it's roots by what sells. Our mission here at phatmass is to use the art form to do the work of God.

Most hip-hop, rap, and indeed pop music in general is simply a satire at the pathetic condition of our world. The artform proceeds from the world's ugliness, as do many artforms.

Nevertheless, I suppose there is also a sort of art in irony....

However, its when musicians are allowed to spout views in their music which do not proceed from the needs and problems of the culture that a problem happens. Either the problem is the world's problem (it stands as a contradiction to the nature of the world) or it's our problem (it stands as a contradiction to Christian nature).

The most problematic things I see in music are when that music presents an idea as though it were positive, when that idea is actually negative or a fallacy. For instance, the notion that "everybody's beautiful." This is hogwash. Beauty exists relative to a true idea, so everybody, as long as we're not the same, cannot be "beautiful." They can exist, can have a reason to exist, can have some other cause for appreciation, and/or we can simply have to put up with them existing, but they do not have to be beautiful in order "to be."

This kind of "everybody's this" or "everything is that" or "do what you want" is an infectiousness that leads to childishness about the idea itself. To say "everybody's beautiful" simply undermines the concept of "beautiful" to where it is no longer applicable as a quality.

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Sep 21 2005, 12:53 AM']John Lennon
With one single song:
Imagine
I can't imagine a more communist, atheist song.
Morals aren't just eroded by skimpy clothes or bad words. Far more subtle and effective is a song that sounds beautiful and positive but filled with lies and heresy.
[right][snapback]732373[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed. That song is nothing more than the Communist Manifesto set to music!

And Lennon has become something of a secular saint and people regard this song with reverence on the Left - having "peace" days when this song is to be played around the world.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Sep 20 2005, 07:09 PM']I didnt know kid rock was immoral!
[right][snapback]731749[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He has horrid music, many songs have horrid messages.

One song of his that I have had the misfortune of not being able to avoid having heard centers on the theme of his receiving fellatio from a "chick he just met."

'Nuff said.

By the way, speaking of singers, Britney Spears is having problems with her pregnancy (she could lose her baby) and i just wanted to say i think prayers would be appropriate