An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Singer Has Done The Most To Erode Morals?

DeeDee

Which singer has done the most to erode morals?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Sep 20 2005, 08:15 AM']I saw a piece on Elvis not too long ago, talking about his Gospel music, and they told a story about how some rowdy girls at one of his concerts screamed out "You're the King!", to which Elvis responded firmly, "There's only one King, the King of Kings". They sat down in shame.  :)
[right][snapback]730893[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Didnt he like have stuff going on with girls that wasnt very moral though....?? :huh:

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Sep 20 2005, 11:57 AM']Didnt he like have stuff going on with girls that wasnt very moral though....??  :huh:
[right][snapback]730987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't know. I didn't say he was a Saint. Just that he had a certain amount of reverence and piety for the Lord. :)

[quote]There is no variety on MTV, BET [/quote]

The radio has gotten REALLY bad. They don't even play crappy hip hop anymore. It's all R-n-B, quasi-electronica, three-word-crunk songs.

It's maddening, because there is SO MUCH quality hip hop that they could be playing.

I totally know what you mean! It is all R-n-B, unfortunatly.

The only hip hop I know is hip hope (there pretty good) and jump 5.

I put my vote in for madonna. Even though i like one of her songs.

"get up to the beat..."

I voted for eminem, because I've seen music like his and Kid Rock's do the most to erode the culture of my generation. As far as Madonna goes, you're probably right, but I was a little kid when she was popular, so I didn't notice her effect.

Eminem is a symptom not a cause of moral decline. I quite enjoy some of his music, as it is mostly a satire of our present condition.

I chose Christina, because she promotes an image, and a philosophy, of "I am beautiful" even without a Christian moral life, and a picture of women that is so centered on sensuality that it obscures the dignity of the female person.

Madonna (shrugs), Madonna is Madonna. Who cares? I don't like the name though, another name for Mary stolen :(

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 20 2005, 06:16 PM']Eminem is a symptom not a cause of moral decline.  I quite enjoy some of his music, as it is mostly a satire of our present condition.

I chose Christina, because she promotes an image, and a philosophy, of "I am beautiful" even without a Christian moral life, and a picture of women that is so centered on sensuality that it obscures the dignity of the female person.

Madonna (shrugs), Madonna is Madonna. Who cares? I don't like the name though, another name for Mary stolen :(
[right][snapback]731774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Madonna did the same thing as Christina though.
And Madonna is the name her loving Italian-American Catholic parents gave her (Madonna Ciccone). She is the one who uses (or used) her name sacreligiously.
This would be similar to an hispanic performer named "Jesus" using his name for shock effect.

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 20 2005, 06:16 PM']Eminem is a symptom not a cause of moral decline.  I quite enjoy some of his music, as it is mostly a satire of our present condition.

[right][snapback]731774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Weell...she had that thing going with brittney which was just freaky!!

I think they should of put Cher should of been put on the list!! :mellow:

argent_paladin

John Lennon
With one single song:
Imagine

[quote]Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.[/quote]
I can't imagine a more communist, atheist song.
Morals aren't just eroded by skimpy clothes or bad words. Far more subtle and effective is a song that sounds beautiful and positive but filled with lies and heresy.

I thought of mentionning Lenon too, but I didn't want to get stoned to death. Nowe I can just hide behind you....

(I agree, he was a leading factor in propelling the liberation theology out of proportion within the last generation).

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='desertwoman' date='Sep 20 2005, 10:25 AM']A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, RUN DMC, Special Ed (he's saved now and is on DJ Maj's album), Dialeted Peoples, Common, KRS One,  Native Tongues, Queen Latifah, Gang Starr, MC Lyte, K-OS...
Hip Hop's beginnings was not based on what is glorified today.  In the beginning you had your rappers talking about partying (Just like Kiss's rock anthem).

Slick Rick who loved to tell stories and thus is crowned the storyteller.

Political rappers like Public Enemy

Gangsta rappers like NWA

Battle rappers (rappers who are concerned about lyrical mastery) KRS ONe

Happy Rappers like Kid N Play, Fresh Prince

The I'm so sexy rapper which is LL Cool J.

It was and is a genre of the people who live in that culture just like any other genre.  Me, growing up during that generation and I am a part of the culture, I saw a variety in the art form.  There is no variety on MTV, BET (the new ministral show), or on the radio.  One will have to go underground to get that good ole rap feeling that we did back in the day.  There are a few who are played (like the forementioned) that push "positivity," but since sex and death sells.... that is what you're going to hear.
[right][snapback]730920[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, right. They're in the top 20 of sales. Tootsie Roll is a 'fun song' for kids. You can't polish a turd. You miss the OBVIOUS point of the sub-genre of 'gangsta' and 'battle' rap. KISS (Knights in Satan's Service) never was at the 'beginning' of rock, unlike your own admission: "In the beginning you had your rappers talking about partying ". The baggy pants hood/convict style came from rock or 'rap'?

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 21 2005, 07:36 AM']Yeah, right.  They're in the top 20 of sales.  Tootsie Roll is a 'fun song' for kids.  You can't polish a turd.  You miss the OBVIOUS point of the sub-genre of 'gangsta' and 'battle' rap.  KISS (Knights in Satan's Service) never was at the 'beginning' of rock, unlike your own admission: "In the beginning you had your rappers talking about partying ".  The baggy pants hood/convict style came from rock or 'rap'?
[right][snapback]732468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just like the motto of sex, drugs, and rock and roll eh?

Or shock rock huh?

Like the meaning of rock and roll ( slang for getting in the sack) eh? No wonder parents back then didn't want their children listening to rock and roll. To many parents, it was destroying the morale of their children! :o

What about the rock groups that liked and glorified sex, drugs, and rock and roll? Are you missing the OBVIOUS within the rock culture and where the term rock and rolling came from?

So in rock and roll, no one talked about partying? Are getting with a girl? Please.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='desertwoman' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:38 AM']Just like the motto of sex, drugs, and rock and roll eh?

Or shock rock huh? 

Like the meaning of rock and roll ( slang for getting in the sack) eh?  No wonder parents back then didn't want their children listening to rock and roll.  To many parents, it was destroying the morale of their children! :o

What about the rock groups that liked and glorified sex, drugs, and rock and roll?  Are you missing the OBVIOUS within the rock culture and where the term rock and rolling came from?

So in rock and roll, no one talked about partying?  Are getting with a girl?  Please.
[right][snapback]732500[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wasn't defending rock and roll, I am stating the obvious about hip-hop / rap. Rock grew to include the things you say, it didn't start that way like rap did and currently is.