An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Singer Has Done The Most To Erode Morals?

DeeDee

Which singer has done the most to erode morals?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
StatingTheObvious

Any of the "rappers", of course. I'm stunned that you so called 'christians' do anything that promotes that genre of "[i]music[/i]".

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 19 2005, 07:14 AM']Any of the "rappers", of course.  I'm stunned that you so called 'christians' do anything that promotes that genre of "[i]music[/i]".
[right][snapback]729556[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Can you name any hip-hop artists besides the ones you see on MTV?

I'd vote Peter Singer, "Dr. Death" and head of the bio-ethics dept at Princeton. (He's a "Singer" though not a musician.")

Of those listed, I'd say Madonna. Elvis' effect on morals I think was largely over-rated (though he paved the way for worse to come, tho I don't think he set out deliberately to erode morals.)
Britney, Christina, and the like are more corporate pawns than anything else. Today the culture is so degraded that most "musicians" are as much products of the degradation as its causes. Most of the bands/singers today are basically rip-offs of those that came before them.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='dUSt' date='Sep 19 2005, 04:32 PM']Can you name any hip-hop artists besides the ones you see on MTV?
[right][snapback]730137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Can you name any main stream rappers (in the top 20 of gross sales of rap) who do not promote negative attitudes towards society?

StatingTheObvious

Unlike rock and roll that has it's roots in jazz, blues, and gospel, RAP's roots are based on choosing to actively turn against societal values with violence and hedonism. You can't make a zebra change his stripes.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 19 2003, 08:06 PM']How dare you add the king to the list! Viva el Elvis! ;)
[right][snapback]20310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I saw a piece on Elvis not too long ago, talking about his Gospel music, and they told a story about how some rowdy girls at one of his concerts screamed out "You're the King!", to which Elvis responded firmly, "There's only one King, the King of Kings". They sat down in shame. :)

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 20 2005, 07:47 AM']Unlike rock and roll that has it's roots in jazz, blues, and gospel, RAP's roots are based on choosing to actively turn against societal values with violence and hedonism.  You can't make a zebra change his stripes.
[right][snapback]730874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, RUN DMC, Special Ed (he's saved now and is on DJ Maj's album), Dialeted Peoples, Common, KRS One, Native Tongues, Queen Latifah, Gang Starr, MC Lyte, K-OS...

Hip Hop's beginnings was not based on what is glorified today. In the beginning you had your rappers talking about partying (Just like Kiss's rock anthem).

Slick Rick who loved to tell stories and thus is crowned the storyteller.

Political rappers like Public Enemy

Gangsta rappers like NWA

Battle rappers (rappers who are concerned about lyrical mastery) KRS ONe

Happy Rappers like Kid N Play, Fresh Prince

The I'm so sexy rapper which is LL Cool J.

It was and is a genre of the people who live in that culture just like any other genre. Me, growing up during that generation and I am a part of the culture, I saw a variety in the art form. There is no variety on MTV, BET (the new ministral show), or on the radio. One will have to go underground to get that good ole rap feeling that we did back in the day. There are a few who are played (like the forementioned) that push "positivity," but since sex and death sells.... that is what you're going to hear.

[quote name='Thomas Michael' date='Aug 19 2003, 01:49 PM']I think Naughty By Nature could be added to that list. These days it seems you can't go to a nightclub without hearing their "O.P.P." song, which blatantly glorifies cheating on one's spouse. Not to mention Nelly... when a song repeatedly telling you to "take off all your clothes" stays #1 for weeks on end, you know that it's not just adults who are buying that single and hearing that lewd message... kids are buying it too. And that's just sad.
[right][snapback]20186[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ya! Nelly is pretty bad. >:(

Kristina