An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anarchism And Property Rights

Winchester

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338755588' post='2440301']
I watch Mythbusters. It's on par, but if I remember correctly it's not quite equal.

Either way, yes, I think it's also a similar danger.
[/quote]
Do you feel a law against driving whilst extremely tired should be passed and enforced through checkpoints, or would we be better off stopping drivers seen driving erratically and testing them?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338755714' post='2440303']
Do you feel a law against driving whilst extremely tired should be passed and enforced through checkpoints, or would we be better off stopping drivers seen driving erratically and testing them?
[/quote]I think that's a prudential judgment. It depends on the situation and the history of people driving tired. I don't know much about particular incidents of this happening, though I have known a couple people who almost fell asleep at the wheel.

I hear of more accidents of people driving drunk than people who were driving tired, but that doesn't say much. As far as I can tell, driving drunk has been more of an issue for our society than driving tired.

What do you think should be done?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338755714' post='2440303']

[/quote]It is a practical matter based on conjecture of likely occurrence. The first effort of society was to examine what is more likely to occur. The perception is drunk driving. Ther are laws and public education against that. Alcohol levels can be tested and it is a condition that can't be quickly remedied. Fatigue may be overcome temporarily with a nap or pulling over and taking a brisk walk. Commercial drivers who operate vehicles must keep log books with regulations for how many hours one can operate a vehicle then rest. There is always the consideration of practical enforcement and public perception of needs and wants when creating, writing, and enforcing laws. Unfortunately, this process isn't being performed by eighteen to twenty six year olds with a fresh education, surity of conviction, and clarity of perfect pertinent knowledge.

fides' Jack

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338433542' post='2438361']
You mean like these guys?
[img]http://newspaper.li/static/737136b4ee8993af0ee47d4a02d0e697.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Quick, grab his gun while he can't see anything!!!

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

HaHa i read my post, i don't know what forum i was in lol. But in australia squatting is legal, my understanding of it is that squatters can take up residence in a house building etc that is vacant and no rent is being payed, even use the electricity i assume if connected. Some squatters are good and some bad,some don't leave a mess,some do. That is kind of Ordered anarchy. :) I squatted at a vacant house once for a day with some teenage friends,and we didn't break in, for some reason the back window was opened and we accessed the inside through that. And as far as i can remember we didn't mess the place up. And there was no furniture in it but the water was running and i can't remember if the electricity was.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

King solomon already learnt all there is to know about anarchy i assume, read his stuff, we probably don't need to revisit it coz it's already been done. Even our most ancient form of civilisation is tribal and there are tribal laws. No law no justice,no justice no peace,no peace, no mercy.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338565296' post='2439387']
KoC, trying to come up with something succinct. Not ignoring you. But I was flooping with you with that first answer.
[/quote]

Again what is a statist and what is statism?

Property is a natural right, and possessing it is a good thing. There are too many flaws with communal ownershp of property, and these were ellucidated back in Aristotle's time. For one, humans have a natural tendency to want, and some will simply not be content with being equal. This dissatisfaction was seen in Eastern European countries living under the iron curtain. Furthremore, stipping people of property limits virtuousness, since the virtues of liberality and charity will be impossible. Instead of limiting property, the best safegaurd is to ensure the widest distribution of property.

[quote name='mortify' timestamp='1339963862' post='2445554']
Property is a natural right, and possessing it is a good thing. There are too many flaws with communal ownershp of property, and these were ellucidated back in Aristotle's time. For one, humans have a natural tendency to want, and some will simply not be content with being equal. This dissatisfaction was seen in Eastern European countries living under the iron curtain. Furthremore, stipping people of property limits virtuousness, since the virtues of liberality and charity will be impossible. Instead of limiting property, the best safegaurd is to ensure the widest distribution of property.
[/quote]

Still no definition of what property is. Or what it would be in an anarchic system.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1339731909' post='2444895']
Again what is a statist and what is statism?
[/quote]
Here, Helen Keller:
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338731570' post='2440238']
Statism is the belief that an entity may claim a monopoly on legalized violence within a given area. That's rather loose. I think with Statism also comes the belief that the State should control economic activities, and that this control will (or can) result in a better economy. There is also some belief in legal positivism (Well, we have to stop completely at this stop sign, because STOP SIGN! (yes, that's a rather vulgar example, but I wanted to take a dig at the people who obey traffic laws simply because they are there)). Statists often believe in the social contract, a document that we apparently all signed, and that governments possess in a locker. It gives them the right to raise money whenever they want by increasing taxes or decorating slips of paper which we are compelled by force to accept in exchange for real goods. Statism doesn't just make the assumption that this is the lesser evil, but that the State is actually justified in these actions. These actions are actually good. It is possible that such an entity is necessary in a fallen world. This necessity would not make the State good, just as lying to the Nazis about a Jew hiding in your house would not be "good".

Obviously, there are degrees of Statism. The Tea Party seems less Statist (in many ways) than Mayor Bloomberg, who wants to outlaw sodas of an arbitrarily chosen size (which seems an innocuous enough manifestation of the belief in total control of a special group of magical human beings who know best, and are empowered to force that best on others).

And then there are most Americans, who will describe their rights as "Granted by the Constitution". Yes, this formulation might not be well thought out. If pressed, they might accept that rights exist prior to the State and its laws. But I think this is an example of how deeply we are infected with Statism.
[/quote]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340040672' post='2445834']
Property is theft.
[/quote]
Anarcho-syndicalists sometimes say that, don't they?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1340040724' post='2445835']
Anarcho-syndicalists sometimes say that, don't they?
[/quote]
It's a cliche Proudhon quote that is usually misused.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1340040952' post='2445838']
It's a cliche Proudhon quote that is usually misused.
[/quote]
Proudhon was something of a lunatic. The only legitimate reason to preserve his work is to check Bastiat's quote of him.

PhuturePriest

Property rights in an anarchic society = your motor cycle, obviously.

[img]http://geekmundo.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/sons-of-anarchy.jpg[/img]