An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion Rails

dells_of_bittersweet

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1338213478' post='2436315']
I love them. My current parish doesn't have one. When I went to the Oxford Oratory, they have the rail, and some received on the tongue from the priest, and some did it themselves after the priest placed the Host on their hands. I would think there would be a way to accommodate those who cannot physically kneel, even with the rails.
[/quote]

OXFORD ORATORY REPRESENT! :woot:

As soon as I am driving (by September I PRAY) I can go to mass there whenever I want!!! Altar rails and Latin galore...

I prefer traditional liturgies and things associated wtih it (chant, altar rails, receiving on the tongue and on the knees) but the Church allows what she allows. These debates always get so needlessly touchy, I think when discussing the merits of various things we should be careful to differentiate between the customs/rituals themselves and the people that are endorsing them. I.E. if someone prefers altar rails, it doesn't make them self-righteous and holier than thou. If someone prefers to be without them, it doesn't make them a wishy-washy. If someone doesn't see things the same way you do, don't take it personally. Nobody's assuming what kind of a Catholic you are. If they are, they're stupid.

But anyway, mostly I'm just here to gush about the Oxford Oratory.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1339959915' post='2445538']

As soon as I am driving (by September I PRAY) I can go to mass there whenever I want!!! Altar rails and Latin galore...

I prefer traditional liturgies and things associated wtih it (chant, altar rails, receiving on the tongue and on the knees) but the Church allows what she allows. These debates always get so needlessly touchy, I think when discussing the merits of various things we should be careful to differentiate between the customs/rituals themselves and the people that are endorsing them. I.E. if someone prefers altar rails, it doesn't make them self-righteous and holier than thou. If someone prefers to be without them, it doesn't make them a wishy-washy. If someone doesn't see things the same way you do, don't take it personally. Nobody's assuming what kind of a Catholic you are. If they are, they're stupid.

But anyway, mostly I'm just here to gush about the Oxford Oratory.
[/quote]

This post deserves more props.

Archaeology cat

[/quote]One more reason I need to get back there. ;)

[/quote]

I usually go there for prayer time and Confession when I'm visiting friends in Oxford. The last time I went there I was wearing a long brown skirt with a floaty gauze overlay. Unknown to me, the solid brown fabric of the skirt had ripped at the back. Right over the rump. My two (male) friends had noticed it as we had been walking around Oxford but one had been too embarrassed to say anything and the other (a very dreamy academic type) just assumed that it was 'supposed to be that way'. (Well, yes, Richard, I was going to go out with my backside totally bare, but I thought I'd be a bit classy and add some see-through gauze instead.) So I went into the Oratory and knelt down right at the front, at those very communion rails, no doubt providing everyone who happened to be in the church with a most excellent view of my knickers and worse.

And at about eleven p.m. that night, after I had been walking around like this for the entire day, Richard finally said to me tentatively, "Erm, your skirt - is it meant to be like that?"

I haven't been in the Oratory since, and when I do it will no doubt be a bit difficult to choke back the giggles.

Edited by beatitude

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1340031036' post='2445790']
I usually go there for prayer time and Confession when I'm visiting friends in Oxford. The last time I went there I was wearing a long brown skirt with a floaty gauze overlay. Unknown to me, the solid brown fabric of the skirt had ripped at the back. Right over the rump. My two (male) friends had noticed it as we had been walking around Oxford but one had been too embarrassed to say anything and the other (a very dreamy academic type) just assumed that it was 'supposed to be that way'. (Well, yes, Richard, I was going to go out with my backside totally bare, but I thought I'd be a bit classy and add some see-through gauze instead.) So I went into the Oratory and knelt down right at the front, at those very communion rails, no doubt providing everyone who happened to be in the church with a most excellent view of my knickers and worse.

And at about eleven p.m. that night, after I had been walking around like this for the entire day, Richard finally said to me tentatively, "Erm, your skirt - is it meant to be like that?"

I haven't been in the Oratory since, and when I do it will no doubt be a bit difficult to choke back the giggles.
[/quote]

Definitely not laughing at you. Laughing with you, right? :saint2:

I love communion rails, and I wish every parish had one ... if only to give those of us who desire to kneel (like me!!!!) the opportunity to do so without causing either a traffic jam or some kind of uproar.

I'm still in a place where I'm trying to work up the courage to kneel, but haven't for a number of varied reasons. If there were an altar rail, I could just walk up to it, kneel, and be done. And be very happy.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1340080034' post='2446169']
I love communion rails, and I wish every parish had one ... if only to give those of us who desire to kneel (like me!!!!) the opportunity to do so without causing either a traffic jam or some kind of uproar.

I'm still in a place where I'm trying to work up the courage to kneel, but haven't for a number of varied reasons. If there were an altar rail, I could just walk up to it, kneel, and be done. And be very happy.
[/quote]An altar rail would certainly make it easier! I kneel, and am finding it increasingly difficult to get back up, since I only have one free hand (if any) due to holding the kids' hands.

PilgrimageOfGrace

I'm glad I'm not alone in liking altar rails and wanting to kneel for communion...tells me I'm in the right place :)

maximillion

And to those of us with mobility difficulties, the rail is very handy if it's there, and a real problem if it's not.

We don't have one, so I go up to receive in my Mobility scooter. (It's been blessed). :pigsfly:

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Symbols and Signs vs Sacred and Saintly . Thats all i have to say.

But i do understand what your saying max, a parish i used to goto has kneelers that somone elderly or disabled can use at the foot of the alter if desiring to kneel and recieve, and there padded too.

P.s. for me symbols and signs are ok and some form a part of sacred tradition, but to many possibly over burden the faithful from the sacred and saintly.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

IgnatiusofLoyola

This may seem strange for a non-Catholic to say (although no one who knows me would be surprised), but I have a definite love (and preference) for altar rails (and kneelers). Without them, how do I know I'm not in a Presbyterian church?

Granted, the Stations of the Cross on the walls and a number of other things would probably be good clues to the denomination of the church. :proud:

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1340409425' post='2447654']
This may seem strange for a non-Catholic to say (although no one who knows me would be surprised), but I have a definite love (and preference) for altar rails (and kneelers). Without them, how do I know I'm not in a Presbyterian church?

Granted, the Stations of the Cross on the walls and a number of other things would probably be good clues to the denomination of the church. :proud:
[/quote]

I hear what your saying but surely it is our example as christians for the most of the part in faith,hope and love which converts and not the symbolic aspect of the parish buildings. Though i have heard there are some conversions just from people being in one of the 5 great cathedrals of europe.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1340410149' post='2447657']
I hear what your saying but surely it is our example as christians for the most of the part in faith,hope and love which converts and not the symbolic aspect of the parish buildings. [/quote]

I definitely agree. I was hoping that the smile at the end of my post was an indication not to take my post very seriously.

I do like altar rails and kneelers, but obviously there are FAR more important things.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1340410952' post='2447661']
I definitely agree. I was hoping that the smile at the end of my post was an indication not to take my post very seriously.

I do like altar rails and kneelers, but obviously there are FAR more important things.
[/quote]

razzle dazzle . I still believe sacred symbols have there place and as far as i'm aware some or most are optional unlike the belief that jesus' is fully present in both species(the body and blood.) And also i have been led to believe that sacred tradition is a movement of the spirit and ever changing, though this does not mean that previous elements of sacred tradition are invalid, nore that they can not be practised, but not should be practised, unless the vatican states so as a matter of faith and morals.I have heard some old indulgences have become in-valid for whatever reason. Which leads me to thinking about the verse of saint paul about how jesus can cut off branches of the vine as he wills, but can also re-attach those branches if he wills.