An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion Rails

dells_of_bittersweet

Archaeology cat

Papist, I think receiving in the hand is an indult that was only extended to the NO Mass, but I could be wrong.

I know at the Oxford Oratory, it's not especially small, and Mass wasn't 90 minutes. We received under one species, the priest would go from one end to the other, with the server following with a paten, and it went super quick. Faster than most parishes do with EMHCs, really. This was a NO Mass. I also went to a Traditional Latin Mass there, but arrived a little late unfortunately.

I can remember the way communion was done when rails and kneeling where more common.... Most of the times about 4 other priests coming out to distribute communion at the altar rail, vested in cassocks, surplices and stoles, and EACH of them had an altar boy (terminology from those times) following along with a patten. The first at the altar knelt at the rail, and a second 'wave' of people stood behind them just in front of the first pew. As each person received, they immediatly got up and went back to their places, and the next person behind them moved into the empty slot, and the line down the aisles moved into the 'waiting row' behind the kneeling communicants. That took about the same amount of time as now, but now there aren't the priests avaialble....

Occsionally it would be just one priest, and then it did take forever, but people were more aware of the reality that the Mass is out of time, and takes as long as it takes....Unfortunately, this probably wouldn't happen these days...

As far as the disabled access question... I do remember when my mom was still alive (and she died in 1989, so this would have been around 1985-7), one of the older priests had a fit and literrally scolded her for about a minute, loudly, because she wouldn't kneel to receive.... she had just had a broken hip repaired, and he didn't seem to think her cane was enough evidence..... the other priests knew about the surgery, but obviously this priest didn't.

In my humble opinion, would have been a good time to let her receive our Lord and ask questions later....

(Side thought... knowing my mother, had it NOT been a communion rail and her about to receive communion.... she probably would have wacked him with her cane....especially if she hadn't seen his collar.) She was a tough lady!

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338240394' post='2436548']
Seriously, assuming these Traditional Latin Masses are Catholic. How can receiving standing and/or in hand, an approved form, be denied? I don't doubt what you say is true, I would like to how this is. Does the Traditional Latin Mass has a separate GIRM? Are you saying it is explained in Universae Ecclesiae?[/quote]
Just a guess, but this might have something to do with it (the experiment part):
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUqDa_Gzj0[/media]
The video might talk about it, but I think I remember hearing that they can deny reception in the hand if there is a risk of profanation of the Eucharist, i.e. crumbs falling to the floor.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1338237618' post='2436520']
Back in the day when everyone received kneeling at the altar rail... how did the priest get through distributing Holy Communion all by himself?
[/quote] It actually goes a lot faster, from my experience. The priest gets to quickly move down the line (in the case of a long rail), instead of having to stand and wait for each person to move and the next person to walk up. Plus, you can remain kneeling for a few seconds longer in prayer, instead of having to immediately leg it. It makes it much less stressful, once you get it down.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338240394' post='2436548']
Just guessing, parishes were much smaller. Or perhaps the people did not mind a 90 minute mass. This probably before football was invented.
[/quote]

The Latin Mass I attend has about the same number of laity as the Novus Ordo Mass which I also attend. The time it takes all the laity in both parishes is about 15 - 20 minutes with the Latin Mass communion time taking less time on average.

It really doesn't matter to me how long it takes to receive Christ at Mass. But it is a common misunderstanding that communion time at a Latin Mass takes longer than at a Novus Ordo when it seems to be the other way around.

And yes the Latin Mass has a different set of rubrics than the Novus Ordo. The PCED made clear that communion on the hand is not permitted at a Latin Mass.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1338240759' post='2436553']
Papist, I think receiving in the hand is an indult that was only extended to the NO Mass, but I could be wrong.

I know at the Oxford Oratory, it's not especially small, and Mass wasn't 90 minutes. We received under one species, the priest would go from one end to the other, with the server following with a paten, and it went super quick. Faster than most parishes do with EMHCs, really. This was a NO Mass. I also went to a Traditional Latin Mass there, but arrived a little late unfortunately.
[/quote]

Thanks. The indult makes sense. I just pulled 90 minutes out of the air really to point out people get upset if the mass goes longer than 1 hour.

KnightofChrist

Excellent post Hubertus. Here is a clip of a EWTN interview with Bishop Schneider where the dangers of receiving communion on the hand as it is practiced today. ie the flaking of the Host, unclean hands, the fact that the modern practice began in rebellion and is not connected with the early Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jii6NCfTW68

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1338242669' post='2436580']
The Latin Mass I attend has about the same number of laity as the Novus Ordo Mass which I also attend. The time it takes all the laity in both parishes is about 15 - 20 minutes with the Latin Mass communion time taking less time on average.

It really doesn't matter to me how long it takes to receive Christ at Mass. But it is a common misunderstanding that communion time at a Latin Mass takes longer than at a Novus Ordo when it seems to be the other way around.

And yes the Latin Mass has a different set of rubrics than the Novus Ordo. The PCED made clear that communion on the hand is not permitted at a Latin Mass.
[/quote]

Thanks. It does stand to reason that not having all the EMHCs would eliminate much time, not otherwise needed. The celebrant would not have to take the time to hand out the vessels to the EMHC and spend time cleaning all of them. Not to mention eliminating potential abuse, such as EMHC self administering, which I have witnessed.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the PCED?

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1338180231' post='2436226']
I read "Communion Rails" as "Cinnamon Rolls"

:|
[/quote]
I read it that way, today, and I had already read it the correct way. :|

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1338241684' post='2436568']
Just a guess, but this might have something to do with it (the experiment part):
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUqDa_Gzj0[/media]
The video might talk about it, but I think I remember hearing that they can deny reception in the hand if there is a risk of profanation of the Eucharist, i.e. crumbs falling to the floor.

It actually goes a lot faster, from my experience. The priest gets to quickly move down the line (in the case of a long rail), instead of having to stand and wait for each person to move and the next person to walk up. Plus, you can remain kneeling for a few seconds longer in prayer, instead of having to immediately leg it. It makes it much less stressful, once you get it down.
[/quote]

Thanks. This was good.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1338171256' post='2436083']
It feels to me that they rope off Jesus and make him seem not approachable.
[/quote]

Properly understood it is ok and good to think of Jesus as being 'roped off' or even locked up as a prisoner. Because He is the Divine Prisoner of the Tabernacle.

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/mvjehd.jpg[/img]

“The Divine Prisoner of the tabernacle awaits the visit and the gratitude of his creatures who abandon him! He knocks at the door of our heart to make of it a tabernacle where he can rest” - St. Therese of Lisieux

Edited by KnightofChrist

The proper form or prayer for the reception of Holy Communion according to the EF is :Corpus Dómini nostri Jesu Christi custódiat ánimam tuam in vitam æternam. Amen. This is said by the priest and should be said before giving Holy Communion to each person. In my experience as an Altar Server in what has now become called the EF the priest sometimes would give communion to 3 or 4 people for each prayer. Besides the Eucharistic Fast was from Midnight and also included fasting from water(this was changed by Pope PiusXII) so many people did not go to Holy Communion at later Masses. The precept of the Church said one must HEAR Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. But one only had to go to Holy Communion once a year. The practice of regular and frequent Communion was one of the 20th Century.

BTW I thought this thread was about the Altar Rail not a discussion on the merits of reception of Holy Communion. :hehe2:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338244210' post='2436604']
Thanks. It does stand to reason that not having all the EMHCs would eliminate much time, not otherwise needed. The celebrant would not have to take the time to hand out the vessels to the EMHC and spend time cleaning all of them. Not to mention eliminating potential abuse, such as EMHC self administering, which I have witnessed.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the PCED?
[/quote]

The Pontifical Commission of Ecclesia Dei

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338242781' post='2436584']

Thanks. The indult makes sense. I just pulled 90 minutes out of the air really to point out people get upset if the mass goes longer than 1 hour.
[/quote]The priest who celebrated our nuptial Mass used to be in the Caribbean. He said they got upset if Mass was an hour or shorter.

Lil'Monster

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338180312' post='2436227']
i think you are tired from the retreat. go.to.bed.
[/quote]

You are so right and as the matter of fact I went to bed before you replied.. :)

Edited by Lil'Monster