An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion Rails

dells_of_bittersweet

MissScripture

Our church doesn't have a communion rail, but for the kids taking first communion last weekend, they had a predieu. Most kids still received on the hand, while kneeling.

Of course, "communion in the hand" is a misnomer. We receive the Eucharist on our tongue. We may choose to have the minister place it on our tongue, or we may choose to place it there ourselves. In some Byzantine Rite Churches, the priest administers communion on the tongue in the form of bread and wine combined, using a golden spoon, while the communicant is standing. Anglican Use churches of the Latin Rite, churches using the mass of the 1962 Roman Missal, and some others still use the communion rail; other Churches and Rites use a variety of methods to distribute the Eucharist. All are equally valid as long as whichever method in use is authorized for that congregation at that time.

It is my personal opinion that a Latin Rite Catholic church should have a communion rail, and the Tabernacle should be located inside the rail.

BTW The GIRM states in #295. The sanctuary is the place where the altar stands, where the word of God is proclaimed, and where the priest, the deacon, and the other ministers exercise their offices. It should suitably be marked off from the body of the church either by its being somewhat elevated or by a particular structure and ornamentation."

Archaeology cat

I love them. My current parish doesn't have one. When I went to the Oxford Oratory, they have the rail, and some received on the tongue from the priest, and some did it themselves after the priest placed the Host on their hands. I would think there would be a way to accommodate those who cannot physically kneel, even with the rails.

I've never been to a parish that had them, when I went to a Traditional Latin Mass we just knelt on the edge of the steps to the sanctuary. And I usually get blasted for this but I have no great love for kneeling to receive the Eucharist. To me, kneeling is a posture for prayer and meditation and I do not think of kneeling as a posture of respect. For me, bowing is more a sign of respect than kneeling. That is a purely cultural thing I picked up from living in South East Asia. So I make a profound bow as I approach for Communion and am quite happy receiving standing.

Does this make me any less of a Catholic than someone who kneels? No it does not and I get very annoyed when people act like they are spiritually superior because of it. If kneeling or receiving on the tongue or whatever is what you feel best with then great but don't judge others for feeling differently. If it is permitted by the Church then you have no place criticising it. (Not directed at anyone in particular this is just something I feel very strongly about).

dominicansoul

I like the very ornate ones the most:

[img]http://mundabor.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/altar-rail.jpg[/img]

oooh, especially the marble ones (but these are kinda cold to the touch when you kneel on 'em)

[img]http://ogtstore.com/images/products/preview/g137105.jpg[/img]

I like communion rails. Even if they are not used, I see them more as an invitation to kneel rather than a fence. In other words, I feel like they say, "come, kneel before Jesus" rather than, "stay away from Jesus".

I love them. I don't think that they make Jesus feel shut off. They enhance the feeling of sacredness for me by demarcating the sanctuary as a very special place. In my local church in England (a stunning one, designed by Pugin, that attracts a lot of tourists) a group of tourists trooped in once as I was praying and started wandering around the sanctuary, getting behind the altar, climbing the stairs up to the little hidden platform where the priest goes to expose the Blessed Sacrament. Part of me felt as though someone had walked in on me naked in the bath, as though they were invading a personal space. The other part was wondering how they felt able to do that. Didn't they sense what this place was?

As for receiving on the tongue, I like the theory, but I prefer to use my hands. I have a condition similar to cerebral palsy, and it affects my face - when the priest places the host on my tongue I'm always afraid that I won't be able to make my mouth shut in time and the host will fall out. It's OK if there's a patten, but often there isn't. It's safer if I do it myself, as I know I need to place the host really far back. Obviously the priest can't do that, unless he wants his hand covered in spit and toothmarks. :P

Edited by beatitude

My parish doesn't have one, but the way that the altar is designed still allows for the sanctuary to be in a prominent place.

Our "sister" parish, which is under the same Pastor as us, has an altar rail. It's razzle dazzle.

IMO, I like it either way.

In the past when it was all altar rail, and everyone received kneeling, what was done for those who couldn't physically kneel? I hadn't thought of this question before..

Other than that, I love them, and don't see why they shouldn't be used in every church, everywhere. The Eucharist is the focal point of the Mass, so the more reverence we give to Him in the Eucharist the more general reverence (less talking, more modest and respectful dress, more praying, etc) there will be in the church. And as the God of the Universe, we can't give Him too much reverence.

Rowan d'Alexandre

I'm with the majority of the peeps here....I really like when the rail is used. Visually it makes the altar more prominent. And it encourages people to kneel while they receive, which I like as well.

Edited by Rowan d'Alexandre

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1338226258' post='2436427']
In the past when it was all altar rail, and everyone received kneeling, what was done for those who couldn't physically kneel? I hadn't thought of this question before..

Other than that, I love them, and don't see why they shouldn't be used in every church, everywhere. The Eucharist is the focal point of the Mass, so the more reverence we give to Him in the Eucharist the more general reverence (less talking, more modest and respectful dress, more praying, etc) there will be in the church. And as the God of the Universe, we can't give Him too much reverence.
[/quote]I attend Latin mass where communion is only offered on the tongue to those who kneel (if there was doubt before, Universae Ecclesiae paragraph 28 has pretty well established that at the Extraordinary Form communion may be offered exclusively to those who kneel on the tongue, the in-the-hand indult does not apply in the Extraordinary Form according to UE 28 which establishes a special law surrounding the liturgical norms of the Extraordinary Form), and there are a few people who physically cannot kneel, and I've never seen it present a problem. they stand and the priest reaches over the rail, if they are able they lean over the rail but the priest can lean over as well; or else they go to the edge of the altar rail where the doors are--if their condition requires it, the priest will certainly open the doors and come out to offer communion to them. and as in all churches there is the longstanding practice of the priest coming straight to the pew of anyone who is unable to come to the front.

I understand that people with a physical incapability of kneeling can feel apprehensive about a Church with an altar rail where kneeling is the only normative option, but I promise I have seen it go very smoothly for those who must stand. it is attempting to receive in the hand that would cause a problem at a Traditional Latin Mass, standing when you have to is totally acceptable. if you're apprehensive, introducing yourself and explain the situation to the priest and ask what is the best way for you to approach.

LaPetiteSoeur

My home church (even though I cannot attend anymore since I've moved, it is still my home church) has them, but they are cutoff in the center. They are still there in front of the Tabernacle (to the left of the altar) and in front of the Mary shrine (to the right of the altar). The other parts were removed after Vatican II. They are practical where they are, so people can genuflect infront of the tabernacle but can have something to kneel on (we had a lot of older folks at this church), and they can pray in front of Mary if they desire.

I agree that I find them separating of the altar and the people (does this make sense?). However, in this church there was a CLEAR divide as to what was where the congregation was and where the priest and ministers were. Everyone knew where it was appropriate to be and where it wasn't.

dominicansoul

Back in the day when everyone received kneeling at the altar rail... how did the priest get through distributing Holy Communion all by himself?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1338237618' post='2436520']
Back in the day when everyone received kneeling at the altar rail... how did the priest get through distributing Holy Communion all by himself?
[/quote]Very quickly, if the Oratorians are any indication. Only one priest there as far as I remember, with a server.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1338233313' post='2436483']
I attend Latin mass where communion is only offered on the tongue to those who kneel (if there was doubt before, Universae Ecclesiae paragraph 28 has pretty well established that at the Extraordinary Form communion may be offered exclusively to those who kneel on the tongue, the in-the-hand indult does not apply in the Extraordinary Form according to UE 28 which establishes a special law surrounding the liturgical norms of the Extraordinary Form), and there are a few people who physically cannot kneel, and I've never seen it present a problem. they stand and the priest reaches over the rail, if they are able they lean over the rail but the priest can lean over as well; or else they go to the edge of the altar rail where the doors are--if their condition requires it, the priest will certainly open the doors and come out to offer communion to them. and as in all churches there is the longstanding practice of the priest coming straight to the pew of anyone who is unable to come to the front.

I understand that people with a physical incapability of kneeling can feel apprehensive about a Church with an altar rail where kneeling is the only normative option, but I promise I have seen it go very smoothly for those who must stand. it is attempting to receive in the hand that would cause a problem at a Traditional Latin Mass, standing when you have to is totally acceptable. if you're apprehensive, introducing yourself and explain the situation to the priest and ask what is the best way for you to approach.
[/quote]

Couldn't the EMHC take communion to the person in the pew. Seriously, assuming these Traditional Latin Masses are Catholic. How can receiving standing and/or in hand, an approved form, be denied? I don't doubt what you say is true, I would like to how this is. Does the Traditional Latin Mass has a separate GIRM? Are you saying it is explained in Universae Ecclesiae?

ps, you post too much.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1338237618' post='2436520']
[/quote]

Just guessing, parishes were much smaller. Or perhaps the people did not mind a 90 minute mass. This probably before football was invented.