An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Father Be Arrested By The Liturgicops For This?

dells_of_bittersweet

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338309904' post='2437149']
i never do the "Heil Hitler" salute. I just can't bring myself to do it.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing.

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1338302694' post='2437071']
what about when Father asks us all to extend our hands to bless each other? is that allowed? At the end of Mass, it looks like this:

[img]http://www.stjames-cathedral.org/Events/2007/sisters/retirement4.gif[/img]

i'm usually the only one who leaves arms down... i just feel kinda awkward doing this...
[/quote]
[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338309904' post='2437149']
i never do the "Heil Hitler" salute. I just can't bring myself to do it.
[/quote]

When I was in high school they did blessings with our hands extended all the time at Mass. There was once that they did it while there was a whole group of German students visiting...yeah, that was super awkward. The teacher did at least think to explain it beforehand. It was still horribly awkward. Since then, I have never raised my hands like that. if I do it, I at least use both arms...

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1338313264' post='2437188']
When I was in high school they did blessings with our hands extended all the time at Mass. There was once that they did it while there was a whole group of German students visiting...yeah, that was super awkward. The teacher did at least think to explain it beforehand. It was still horribly awkward. Since then, I have never raised my hands like that. if I do it, I at least use both arms...
[/quote]

[img]http://www.goldenplec.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/awkward-turtle.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1338312299' post='2437174']
as far as the group extending of the hands, I don't like it, not one bit. while Cappie's answer in Q&A is correct that lay people can engage in invocative blessings (but the hands are to be folded during those), I do not believe it follows that the priest can introduce into the liturgy a group-blessing, even if that blessing is only invocative rather than a constitutive blessing. it is not that the blessing is wrong (though the posture certainly is wrong for a lay blessing), it is the fact that it is added to the liturgy that is wrong methinks.
[/quote]

My thoughts as well. I was waiting on cappie's post before commenting. Like the EMHC blessing my child when receiving communion. There's nothing liturgically wrong with it[as far as I know], but it just seems unfitting for a laity to do such within the liturgy.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338313631' post='2437193']

My thoughts as well. I was waiting on cappie's post before commenting. Like the EMHC blessing my child when receiving communion. There's nothing liturgically wrong with it[as far as I know], but it just seems unfitting for a laity to do such within the liturgy.
[/quote]Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion are not to bless children. I used to train people for distributing Holy Communion and as often as I told them no, they still continued to disobey. It really annoys me when one tries to give a priestly blessing to my daughter because I know that the norms published by the dioceses say no.

[img]http://plasmapool.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/stvo_picardo_gift_500x366.jpg[/img]

the Emergency Medical Hologram of Communion is not programmed to give blessings in the liturgy :cyclops:

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338313828' post='2437196']
Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion are not to bless children. I used to train people for distributing Holy Communion and as often as I told them no, they still continued to disobey. It really annoys me when one tries to give a priestly blessing to my daughter because I know that the norms published by the dioceses say no.
[/quote]
I am pretty sure our diocese has the same directive. My home parish EMHC obeys this directive. But others don't. There are times when the EMHC will reach for my child and I will block it with my body. Now I just make sure they are not in reach. Me no like laity playing priest.

Edited by Papist

MissScripture

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338313828' post='2437196']
Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion are not to bless children. I used to train people for distributing Holy Communion and as often as I told them no, they still continued to disobey. It really annoys me when one tries to give a priestly blessing to my daughter because I know that the norms published by the dioceses say no.
[/quote]
It annoys me because they don't have the authority to do so! At the parish I grew up in, some of them practically chased the kids down, too! Since we had our baby, we've tried to avoid going to EMHCs. Luckily, at our parish, there are always enough priests and deacons that it's easy to avoid them.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1338314065' post='2437199']
[img]http://plasmapool.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/stvo_picardo_gift_500x366.jpg[/img]

the Emergency Medical Hologram of Communion is not programmed to give blessings in the liturgy :cyclops:
[/quote]We just started our summer marathon of this series while we wait for the baby to pop out. :)

Yeh I totally failed at reading that post... he says there are certain blessings that laity can do, but during mass we should keep our hand folded

Groo the Wanderer

i simply smile at the kiddo and say 'God Bless You'. not a blessing, no contact, and I don;t even present the host to them

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1338314937' post='2437214']
i simply smile at the kiddo and say 'God Bless You'. not a blessing, no contact, and I don;t even present the host to them
[/quote]
Please stop doing that. I ask this with sincere charity.

I think Groo is saying he does that to appease the many parents who have come to expect the child to receive something. It's a nasty situation for an EMHC to deny to give a blessing in a parish where everyone does it. I don't endorse his solution, but I understand it, especially if one doesn't have the backing of the priest in not "blessing" the children in line. All that said, I would still strongly advise against even that, Groo. saying "God bless you" is generally okay in most situations, but when you're delegated as an EMHC even something so little as what we say to someone when they sneeze still mimics a constitutive blessing by virtue of the fact that you're standing in the front of the Church in the middle of the liturgy and you're actually holding God literally in your hands.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1338312429' post='2437177']
lol I was actually going to make such a reference but decided against it, glad to see I'm not the only one who's a little freaked out by groups of people who look like they're doing the Roman salute.
[/quote]

I live to serve by posting things others have the good sense not to. not sure what that says about me or anyone else. :P

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1338315470' post='2437220']
I think Groo is saying he does that to appease the many parents who have come to expect the child to receive something. It's a nasty situation for an EMHC to deny to give a blessing in a parish where everyone does it. I don't endorse his solution, but I understand it, especially if one doesn't have the backing of the priest in not "blessing" the children in line. All that said, I would still strongly advise against even that, Groo. saying "God bless you" is generally okay in most situations, but when you're delegated as an EMHC even something so little as what we say to someone when they sneeze still mimics a constitutive blessing by virtue of the fact that you're standing in the front of the Church in the middle of the liturgy and you're actually holding God literally in your hands.
[/quote]
I am now going to start smoking a pipe.