An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eduardo Saverin Renounces Citizenship

Winchester

I mean, again. You can say that there is no we in reference to the country but most citizens of this country would disagree since they choose to live here. Most people don't opt to be free riders and most people accept the government as legitimate. The fact that you have decided of late that you consider the government illegitimate doesn't negate the social contract of the majority of people who do find the government legitimate.

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337716184' post='2433747']
Groups do act. That is what a set of individuals with some common person is. The set itself does not act since it is merely a demarcation but I don't see how you get from there to saying that there is no 'we'
[/quote]
Because she and I do not agree. There is no 'we', in that regard.

Individuals act as a group. Groups have no will, and they do not act. For the sake of easy communication, we typically ignore that fact.
[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337716820' post='2433749']
I mean, again. You can say that there is no we in reference to the country but most citizens of this country would disagree since they choose to live here. Most people don't opt to be free riders and most people accept the government as legitimate. The fact that you have decided of late that you consider the government illegitimate doesn't negate the social contract of the majority of people who do find the government legitimate.
[/quote]
Truth by popularity. Okay.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337717925' post='2433754']
Because she and I do not agree. There is no 'we', in that regard.[/QUOTE]

I read you as saying that the 'we' that does not exist was the country. I apologize.

[QUOTE]Individuals act as a group. Groups have no will, and they do not act. For the sake of easy communication, we typically ignore that fact. [/QUOTE]

That's right. But that doesn't mean that groups or collectives are fictitious. Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other.

[QUOTE]Truth by popularity. Okay.
[/quote]

When did I say that?

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337724636' post='2433773']
I read you as saying that the 'we' that does not exist was the country. I apologize.

That's right. But that doesn't mean that groups or collectives are fictitious. Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other.

When did I say that?
[/quote]
I took you as claiming that the state was legitimate by virtue of a bunch of people accepting its claims of legitimacy.

Also, I've been in the questioning the legitimacy of our government game for a long time. I abandoned democracy some 17 years ago. This is a rather long evolution, coming to reject the modern state (although I suppose I could argue I rejected the modern state several years ago). Rejection of non-voluntary government as "not good" I'll take as recent.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1337720704' post='2433759']
Facebook down 18%. Bummer, Mr. Saverin.
[/quote]

On the other hand, I think the index for "Hasan vs. Winchester Inc." is up like %3000 thanks to your valiant efforts. Good work!

dairygirl4u2c

[img]http://plinkplunk.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/explanation-motivational-poster.jpg[/img]